Atomic Split Fins, a question from the Netherlands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tazyfox

New
Reaction score
Hi everybody
I'm Timo from the Netherlands.
I have come to this board with a question about Atomic Split Fins.
In the Netherlands where I live, hardly anybody uses them.
Atomic is hard to come by over here.

I own two pair of fins.
Atomic Split Fins and Mares X-stream.
But I really really have fallen in love with my Atomics.

In a few weeks I will be going to Egypt and I will be diving in the Red Sea for the first time.
People here in Holland say don't go into the sea with split fins.
When there is current they will not have enough power.

When I dive here in the lakes of Holland, where there is almost no current, people always tell me to slow down.
But I hardly move my legs, I like to dive in a relaxed way :)
So I kinda think it is the Atomic Split Fins that make me go faster then the others ...

So now I wonder if the Atomics will give me enough trust in the Red Sea?
Or should I better go with the X-streams ...?

I hope there are some Atomic Split Fin owners here who can tell if they are powerful enough for the Red Sea or not ...

Cheers!

I have used the atomic splits in the red sea both on drift, and on normal dives, and has had no problems keeping up.

I have a pair that I used primarily when I had knee problems. The atomics allow you to use smaller faster kicks (flutter kicks) if you have weak legs. They propel you pretty well. I don't use them so much anymore, since my legs are stronger. I also skin dive and definately use longer fins for that. Relaxed power strokes to save energy are key, and if you need to power to a fish for a shot, one or two kicks will get you there vice many flutter kicks.

I haven't used the atomics in the Red Sea, but i have used them around Vancouver Island in Canada where there are some very strong currents. Even with full cold water gear these fins propel me with ease ( plus the spring straps make life easy)

Back
Top Bottom