atomic or apollo split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc:
Just had a freind that is a tech diver tell me that he did not like the Apollo's and only used them out in Monterey because they were no good in current ??????Thoughts on this comment??

It's exactly as Larry has pointed out. The comment about current is totally illogical. If I read it too many times in one day I fear my (engineers) head might explode :wink:

I've only tried the apollo fins (when my friend bought them). I liked them much better than my regular paddle fins. I didn't like the high price, but eventually I gave in and bought some lovely yellow ones. These are slightly stiffer than the black ones (but floppier than the XT). For me that is the right amount of stiffness.

laserdoc:
Looking at both of these. They seem to be very close in regards to performance. Also do I really need the spring straps. What is the best fin??
Thanks
Dave

I dive the Apollo's and use spring straps as well. Spring straps are just a no fuss way to dive. No more buckle adjustment, easy to pull off and on... I'm never going to dive without them.

The apollo's have an advantage that most have not mentioned, and that is comfort. Those rubber foot pockets are really comfortable, and seem to almost mold around the boot.

I am going to work on alternate kicks next time I'm at the hole. I've been told that backing up, and helicopter turns are not possible, but we shall see. So far I've not tried a lot of different kicks, but I can say that dolphin, frog, and paddle kicks are easily accomplished with the biofins.

The comments about not working in current are BS from my experience. I've left divers behind in current without knowing that I was doing so. I mean, I did not disappear, but a quick look back, and they were 15 feet behind me after only a short distance. I had to stop and wait, and they appeared to be working much harder than myself to gain headway.

RonFrank:
I am going to work on alternate kicks next time I'm at the hole. I've been told that backing up, and helicopter turns are not possible, but we shall see.

Jim Grier (who did the only real scientific test of scuba fins I've ever seen) has commented on this here :

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=503

Apparently backing up is possible. I haven't had time to practice it yet, but when I get back from Florida in a week or so I plan to try this in the pool.

I prefer the Atomic as it is the only splitfin that you can swim against a current. Speed is one thing but then again who races underwater? This is why they get great scores from top to bottom in performance.

Chad B

Atomicchad:
I prefer the Atomic as it is the only splitfin that you can swim against a current. Speed is one thing but then again who races underwater? This is why they get great scores from top to bottom in performance.

Chad B

Patently untrue Chad. The all natural rubber bio-fin has been rated #1 in all types of diving: speed, current, etc. Atomic Aquatics designs and manufactures fine products, however; it is not "the only splitfin that you can swim against a current." All the quality models of splitfins will do well in a current for the reasons that Larry @ SCUBATOYS.COM so clearly describes:
http://scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/splitcurrent.asp

I'm with mdb, majority of my diving is in stiff currents and my bio-fins have never failed me. Like I said previously, the one piece of my gear I will not change is my fins. They just flat out work.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon here but I recently had an opportunity to use these (Bio Fins) in the Aquarium in Denver. Picked up a pair on here used. Previously I have used a Jet knockoff (to be fair they didn't fit well) and my Quattros. All I can say at this point in a fairly controlled environment is that the Apollos are effortless and incredibly fast not to mention that they are indeed very comfortable. The effort to swim the facility was not nearly as straining as with my Quattros or the Jets I never ever thought I would come over to the dark side of Split Fins but, so far, they are as advertised.

Now the real test will be this weekend when I arrive in Bonaire. Will let you know how that comes out. I was originally going to only bring the Quattros but I have decided to now leave the Quattros at home and use the Bio Fins for this trip and see what I think in real world conditions. I will let you know.

BTW: My springs from my Quattros fit just fine on the Bio Fins. Wouldn't dive without 'em

I love my Atomic regulator and SS1. But..... I also love my Apollo Bio fins (with the spring straps). I thought the Atomics were a little too long, especially when you're trying to move around on a small dive boat.

Current? My Apollos were put to the test at the beginning of February in Playa del Carmen against a 3 knot current (we were literally flying through the water). I was able to stop to take a few photos, and swim against the current to look at an interesting fish. Acceleration is phenomenal. Maneuverability great.

I'm also prone to getting calf cramps in my left leg, and I haven't had a single one since switching to the Apollos.

Get them with the "C" straps installed. It's not worth the hassle to do it yourself (IMHO). You'll also never go back to regular straps once you get used to them.

nyprrthd:
Get them with the "C" straps installed. It's not worth the hassle to do it yourself (IMHO). You'll also never go back to regular straps once you get used to them.

No kidding. I did mine myself. Takes a lot longer than you think. The smell of burning rubber combined with the precision that you have to exercise are gruelling. But the results are worthwhile. I would never go back to regular straps. It's an amazing difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom