atomic or apollo split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love my bio fins, And I've tried about everything. Insanely comfortable. Great accel. (yellows). Only one more thing can make them perfect............... SPRINGS!!! Get them. you'll wonder why they even make those strap things?!

The Atomic Fin is a better overall performer as you cannot over kick the fin. In other words if you get into a current or kick hard other manufactureres splitfins side rails will comeback to far and the wings come out leaving the diver with little or no propulsion. I do not care how strong you are no can over kick the Atomic Splitfin. If you want speed and softness great, but who races underwater? When you compare top to bottom performance Atomic is the one.

From personal experience I dive on the East coast of Florida into the Gulf stream with no problem.

Chad B

Wrong again. Many split fins do well with any kick, not only Atomic. SCUBA-PRO, TUSA, OCEANIC, AQUA-LUNG, have good versions of the new technology. The Apollo bio-fins are rated # 1 evey time tested. Atomic has a decent fin, just not the best.

My straps do not require any modification to the fins. If you can use a phillips head screwdriver, you can put a set on a pair of Apollo fins in about 2 minutes. It doesn't even take a screwdriver to put them on Atomics.

Wrong Again. Not. I get my information from our engineers, customers, personal use, instructors, and the many Atomic dealers in the Southeast, not to mention the sales volume!

So I do not think I am wrong. However no more comments and I will leave it at that.

Chad B

A CHANCE TO STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT, WHO'S INTERESTED?

Personal preference and marketing decide alot of the opinion of these two products. Atomicchad and mdb why not publish all findings right here in this thread and lets see which fin has better performance in scientific studies. It's a chance for both companies to set the record straight and let us find out which of the fins is the better one. Of course both of you could just ignore this and chicken out of an informative debate. So let us see the facts you base your opinions on, and the signature on your paycheck doesn't count for diddley squat here.

Nice Mods and very nice pics to go with thanks.

Wayward Son:
I make spring straps to fit both.

These are on my wife's Aqualung Blades. Most post type mounts will use these:

bladefinished.jpg

bladeside.jpg

Atomic fins use a unique post. I came up with this to attach spring straps to them without having to modify the fins. These came out nice, but are more labor intensive & can take me a bit longer to ship:

apollo.jpg

apolloside.jpg

apolloside2.jpg

apollotop.jpg

Trinigordo:
A CHANCE TO STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT, WHO'S INTERESTED?
Personal preference and marketing decide alot of the opinion of these two products. Atomicchad and mdb why not publish all findings right here in this thread and lets see which fin has better performance in scientific studies..

Trinigordo: These are the latest tests from Scubalab:
www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/2005_fin_test/
www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/fin_fight/1/
Other years are also available on this website. Another good source of independent information is @:www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html

There are other good split fin versions; including Aqua-lung, Atomic, Oceanic, Scuba-Pro, and Tusa. The Apollo bio-fin series are manufactured using compression molding and 100% natural rubber. The bio-fin pro models have a durometer hardness of 65-67. The bio-fin XT model is much stiffer with a durometer hardness of 75. I agree the more information you have the better. The board is a great source of information on all diving matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom