Atomic Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffrey-c:
Funny, I had the opposite experience where I felt the frameless version pressing on spot (broken nose in high school basketball) but the framed version felt great.

To be clear, I was referencing the frameless version. It was the brindge part of the lens that I felt pressing on my nose.

The subfram version fit quite well, but I really prefer the single-lens style.

Guess I will stick with my TUSA "Visualator."

Ray

Just came across this thread while searching "atomic". I went from the Tusa Visualator to the Atomic Frameless and found that the nose bridge did press on my nose at depth. The glass is remarkably clear.

My staff at work got me a gift certificate to the LDS so I splurged and bought the Sub-Frame a couple of weeks ago. The skirt is wider and fuller which seems to fit better and the frame does not seem to be as tight on the bridge of my nose. Unfortunately, I won't be diving until mid Feb. so I'll try it versus the Visualator then.

p.s. my nine year old was using the Frameless in the bath tub tonight. If Atomic needs a new product tester....he's available!

My buddy just got that mask the beginning of summer. He loves the sub-frame and he just loves the mask all around. he likes the fit, the size of the skirt and the visibility he has with it.

I got one for Christmas, best fitting mask I have. First one that seals around my face 100%. Now I have two back ups that I hope to never use again. Got the red on black sub-frame.

I have the subframe and when ever I feel the frame brushing up against my forehead I just blow a little air into the mask and it moves the mask away. As others have noted a little water in the mask can be anoying. But because I have a mustache I am used to having a little water in my mask.

Otter:
At DEMA, Atomic had a new mask (or an option to their existing, not sure) which adds a 'reflective' coating to the mask lens. The net result is a 15% increase in the amount of light passing through the lens. Add that to the increase for the ultraclear and you can see why Steven Frink and other photographers dive the mask. I have two of them, both black frameless.
anyone know if the production version has the anti-reflective coating? and I know that every uncoated air/glass interface will reflect away 4 to 6% of the light getting to your eyes, but how do they come up with 15% when one side is in water?

at any rate, I am interested in this mask because I have glasses that have those coatings and I can tell the difference between those and the ones I have that are not coated, much brighter .. am thinking the ultraclear lens would make a similar difference, coated, or not

Ive been using the frameless for a few months now and it is grreat! It seals very well and the skirt is extremely comfortable. I think I will stick this mask for a long time!

Anyone have experience w/custom prescription lenses on these masks? Does the ultra low volume design leave enough room for bonded bi-focals?

I have full custom Rx lenses in my mask. I am not sure there would be room for bonded in bifocal lens. The lens seems pretty thick towards the bottom. Further, the mask is close enough that at times I can feel my eye lashes touching the lenses.

BTW There are couple threads about using the of the shelf Rx lenses with this mask. The consensus is that if you have have slight astigmatism and in the past could use off the shelf Rx that you should not try it with this mask. Go the full Rx route. It will cost all of $70 more. $150 vs. $80

As a further update to my earlier post. I love this mask but I do agree that the bridge part of the mask is an issue for me. I am going to try a few ideas but Atomic needs to fix this issue. Even when you equalize it eventually starts to cause pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom