Atomic Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP:
As further update to MY earlier post about the mask touching the bridge of my nose, I threw caution to the wind and picked one of these up prior to a two-day diving trip out in California.

I have to say, I really liked it. Never had a problem with the mask touching/pressing bridge of my nose at depth up to 90ft. Very comfortable. In fact not sure if it has to do with the low-volume aspect of the mask, or the frameless design or the soft/wide skirt, but I felt ZERO discomfort due to squeeze with this mask.

My usual mask is a TUSA Visualator and I would notice squeeze constantly and have to equalize the mask quite often. Didn't seem to notice it with this mask. Also, didn't have "ring around the forehead" with the Atomic even after four dives one day. I also noticed a difference in terms of streamlining due to the low volume.

Hard to tell if the claims of better clarity of vision were true since I was not diving in familiar waters - were the colors truer or just different - but the field of vision was slightly better than the much larger TUSA, and I didn't notice any problems using it with a camera.

In my book, the worst case scenario is that the Atomic wins on comfort for sure, is better on field of vision, better in terms of low volume, and jury still out on color/clarity.

Worth the money.

Update to my update. Recently had the opportunity to use the Atomic in "familiar" waters, along side my previous mask. On four different dives I switched between the Atomic and a TUSA Visualator.

I found that the color and and clarity of vision with the Atomic Frameless was in fact noticeably better than with the mask with "standard glass." I found this particularly true in lower-light situations - peering under ledges, penetration into light-zone areas of wrecks, and on late afternoon dives when the light is begining to wane. Colors seemed perceptibly "truer" and relatedly overall contrast seemed to be better as well. (I also found that the DM on the dive boat thought I must have had tremendous problems with my mask after seeing me switch masks repeatedly on each of four dives!)

So, now that all of my "votes" are in, here's my overall findings on the Atomic Frameless:

Fit & Comfort - Atomic, for sure the easy winner
Field of vision - Atomic, surprisingly and by a fair margin
Low volume - Atomic, far and away superior
Color - Atomic, noticeably better
Visual clarity - Atomic, appreciably more clear

In summary, I am truly impressed with the overall quality of the Atomic Frameless mask. It delivers on its promise and I find it to be well worth the price paid.

Ray

I got a black frameless this summer because I have a hard time fitting masks- and I love it. It is easy to clear, as noted. I promote this thing all the time!
gomi_

Same here. Was in my LDS trying one on tonight and I could just ever-so-slightly feel the bridge of the nose on the mask pressing on the bridge of my own nose. While I can't say for sure without trying it, I'm guessing that at depth it would press down much harder (ie: much more painfully) with a bit of a squeeze on.

This is why I bought the frameless myself. Fits great! Can't wait to take it under in a few weeks time! :cool2:

The quotes were taken with our permission and I bet if you ask any of the people they will still stand behind them as I do. Love my subframe!! Plus I can pick up a mag and show anyone my quote. :)

Tom

A lot of hullabaloo over a hum drum mask. Just another crap Big Eyes. Let sleeping dogs lay just like this know nothing thread.

I got the sub frame and like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom