Atomic Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the negatives about low volume masks, I was thinking the same thing but have never used a low volume mask. I'll have to try one though to figure out for myself if the pluses are worth the negatives.

Please try one on before buying it. They are great masks, but if your face doesn't fit it, it's not great for you.

thomjinx:
I dive a black frameless, and I like it a lot. I love the wide field of view. However, I would like to point out a couple of potential negative 'features' of this AND other low-volume masks.

Yes, it doesn't take much to clear it. It doesn't take much to fill it up, either! Others have noted the problem with getting water up their noses, or bubbles when clearing, etc. It only takes a very small amount of water in the mask for it to be annoying.
The spoonful of water that I used to leave in the bottom of my mask (for the purpose of de-fogging) is enough to be a problem in a very-low-volume mask.
I have a mustache, so it is more difficult to totally prevent leaking. If I were clean shaven and the mask fit well, it might not bother me as much.

The other thing is that the combination of a low-profile mask and a 2nd stage with a narrow exhaust tee can give you lots of bubbles right in front of your eyes when facing horizontally. I made an extended exhaust tee myself. Looks cool, solves the problem.

On the plus side, another reason the Atomic Frameless is great for photography is that you can get your eye closer to the viewfinder of the cam, because the glass of the mask is closer to your eye. This really helps when I am shooting video, since I don't have an LCD back on my housing.

All engineering involves compromise, and these negatives apply to any very-low-volume mask. I just wanted to offer my observations.

Just had to say "nice post". It's nice to see someone put in thoughful pros/cons on a topic.

I dive an $18 mask and it works great. I tried on the Atomic masks today, they fit so well, I'm actually considering paying $100 for a mask. In 23 years of diving, I've never found a mask that fit so well or was so comfortable. Both the Framless and the Sub-frame fit equally well. They have a small version for folks with smaller faces. It also fit, but not nearly as well.

I have a small fit face. The frameless and the subframe are way too big. The "medium" frameless fits me great. I don't know whether the sub is being made in a smaller skirt. The cool thing is they made it fit better by making the skirt circumference a little smaller, but kept the same size on the lens.

The masks tend to be very light too.

Thanks Jeffrey, for the kind words.

In general, I am a fairly easy going, non-picky person.

But I am someone who appreciates good engineering, well-designed products and 'elegant' solutions to problems. I am also someone who usually researches my purchases very carefully. I always try to consider the pluses and minuses of a product, and then decide if it is right for me.

I am glad you appreciate my observations. Thanks again!

Thomjinx

jeffrey-c:
Just had to say "nice post". It's nice to see someone put in thoughful pros/cons on a topic.

I just got back from my first trip with the Blue on Black subframe and I'm really happy with it. Fits great, easy to clear, great for photo work and it didn't leak once all trip (20+ dives).

My last mask was the Mares X-Vision, which I lost this summer (a tragic accident involving 0 viz, big current and an idiot who got lazy and didn't hold it tight enough when he jumped off the boat). I did buy another X-Vision as a backup, and I took it down with the Atomic one dive to get a feel for the differences. I found the Atomic more comfortable and easier to clear, but I'll admit underwater I couldn't see a difference between the 'ultraclear' lens in the Atomic and the regular Mares lens.

The subframe mask looks great, but when I tried it on I found that it smashes down on the bridge of my nose, and I don't have a big nose! Its just the way it fits my face.

The frameless feels great.

Anyone buying a mask should try it on first.

Divedoggie:
The subframe mask looks great, but when I tried it on I found that it smashes down on the bridge of my nose, and I don't have a big nose!

Same here. Was in my LDS trying one on tonight and I could just ever-so-slightly feel the bridge of the nose on the mask pressing on the bridge of my own nose. While I can't say for sure without trying it, I'm guessing that at depth it would press down much harder (ie: much more painfully) with a bit of a squeeze on.

RJP:
Same here. Was in my LDS trying one on tonight and I could just ever-so-slightly feel the bridge of the nose on the mask pressing on the bridge of my own nose. While I can't say for sure without trying it, I'm guessing that at depth it would press down much harder (ie: much more painfully) with a bit of a squeeze on.

Funny, I had the opposite experience where I felt the frameless version pressing on spot (broken nose in high school basketball) but the framed version felt great. All good examples of the need to try on gear and not just buy it based on an ad or website!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom