Atomic Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was ready to post a thread about which mask underwater photographers prefer and I found out about the Atomic. I think that answers my question! I'm having trouble seeing the whole frame of my D200/Ikelite housing and this may be the answer.

Not that this helps you, but I thought I'd share. I'm running home after work today to open my UPS package which will contain a ... wait for it .... a new subframe. Black on black. Though the red on black looks really nice too. The salesperson at the shop said it's the best mask out there (or at least the best they carry).

Which ever one fits and is comfortable. I wear the frameless because the frame hits the bridge of my nose and is uncomfortable. The frameless is the first mask I've ever owned that is so comfortable you almost don't realize you have it on.

My wife has the subframes and absolutely loves them. She has a very difficult face to fit with a mask and this one fits her like a glove.

I used it one time when she wasn't diving with me and i found it to be extremely comfortable. In fact, I am thinking about buying one to replace my Cressi Big-Eyes.

I have the black on black frameless. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to dive with it yet. Not so patiently waiting...and waiting...

Oh yeah, I got the newer mid size. The regular size was WAY too big for me.

Went diving Sunday and had a bit of sinus bleeding that required several mask clearings. Man was I happy I had the Atomic. Takes about 1/4 of an unforced exhale and its clear.

At DEMA, Atomic had a new mask (or an option to their existing, not sure) which adds a 'reflective' coating to the mask lens. The net result is a 15% increase in the amount of light passing through the lens. Add that to the increase for the ultraclear and you can see why Steven Frink and other photographers dive the mask. I have two of them, both black frameless.

The Sub Frame is an ultra low volume mask with great viewing angles and its not tilted down which adds to the volume of the mask. After trying them today I am buying one. My Aqualung Quartz was bitten by a fish in the aquarium and put a hole in the skirt so this will replace it. Atomic always has quality products and they back it up.

I am looking for a new mask because my existing really hits hard on my nose bridge. I'm looking at the Atomics, because of the recommendations on this board. How does the subframe compare with the frameless for comfort?

I dive a black frameless, and I like it a lot. I love the wide field of view. However, I would like to point out a couple of potential negative 'features' of this AND other low-volume masks.

Yes, it doesn't take much to clear it. It doesn't take much to fill it up, either! Others have noted the problem with getting water up their noses, or bubbles when clearing, etc. It only takes a very small amount of water in the mask for it to be annoying.
The spoonful of water that I used to leave in the bottom of my mask (for the purpose of de-fogging) is enough to be a problem in a very-low-volume mask.
I have a mustache, so it is more difficult to totally prevent leaking. If I were clean shaven and the mask fit well, it might not bother me as much.

The other thing is that the combination of a low-profile mask and a 2nd stage with a narrow exhaust tee can give you lots of bubbles right in front of your eyes when facing horizontally. I made an extended exhaust tee myself. Looks cool, solves the problem.

On the plus side, another reason the Atomic Frameless is great for photography is that you can get your eye closer to the viewfinder of the cam, because the glass of the mask is closer to your eye. This really helps when I am shooting video, since I don't have an LCD back on my housing.

All engineering involves compromise, and these negatives apply to any very-low-volume mask. I just wanted to offer my observations.

Back
Top Bottom