Atomic B1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. Can anyone tell me if this 1st and 2nd stage is a B1 (see images attached)? The cover says B2, but I'm wondering if it's not original. The locking ring is smaller than on my other B2, and you can see that this cover protrudes from the locking ring, whereas the cover on my other B2 is flush with the locking ring. The exhaust tee on this 2nd stage is also quite a bit smaller than that on my other B2.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5979.JPG
    IMG_5979.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5980.JPG
    IMG_5980.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5981.JPG
    IMG_5981.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 78
Looks like a first gen second with a later purge cover, the first stage may not yet be converted to the J seat, the official way to tell is a full rubber cover on top but the only way for sure is to open it, I would assume it is still the old style and needs the J seat/new piston.

Looks like a first gen second with a later purge cover, the first stage may not yet be converted to the J seat, the official way to tell is a full rubber cover on top but the only way for sure is to open it, I would assume it is still the old style and needs the J seat/new piston.
Thanks. Are you guessing first-gen B1 second stage or first-gen B2 second stage?

First gen second stage body, the early purge covers didn’t hold up well, usually disintegration follows use. I’ve not kept current on pricing but not long ago it was about $70 to upgrade the first stage and a new second stage body was around $22

That looks to be a B1, however the B1 and B2 are very similar. I believe it is a B1 as the purge cover on the second stage appears to have been replaced with a B2 cover. The first stage has a “donut” cover instead of the full rubber cover.

-1st stage differences-​
The main difference between the B1 and B2 first stage is the piston. Unfortunately for you if it is a B1 and has not been updated it will require a new piston and seat. As someone else said the only way to know for sure is to have it serviced.

-2nd stage differences-​

The original B1 second stage used purge covers that were thinner profile. They tended to fall apart. When the previous owner replaced yours they did not change the retaining ring. It is a cosmetic difference and does not effect performance. To make it look “more factory” you could either buy the proper retaining ring, or buy a purge cover for a Ti2.

The other difference is the exhaust Tee. It was made wider on b2’s for better exhalation bubble dispersion.

In summary there very small differences between. If you wish to make the first stage a “B2” it will most likely need a new piston and service. If you wish to cosmetically upgrade the second stage I suggest you purchase a “color kit” as it includes all the parts you require.

Thanks, MattK911. That's very helpful. So the B2 color kit, which includes the retaining ring (I believe) and exhaust tee, will fit on the B1 body? The high-profile B2 cover requires you to press quite hard on the purge cover in order to purge the reg. If the B1 cover was lower profile, I would think you wouldn't have to press as hard. This makes me wonder if the purge lever and diaphragm are different on a B2?

Some deck dork took a b2 purge cover and jammed it into a b1 cover ring. Buy a B2 color kit of your liking, if you like blue well then you will have an extra purge cover. The color kit will have the purge cover, cover ring, knob and screw, and exhaust. All completely interchangeable.

Note that is a very early B1, the jam nut on the second stage is plastic not metal. Also the trim ring (black rubber thingy around the body) has rectangular holes. That is first generation, later have round holes.

The first stage does need a new piston, too. You are looking ~$200 in parts plus service. Hopefully you got a good deal on it.

Thanks, MattK911. That's very helpful. So the B2 color kit, which includes the retaining ring (I believe) and exhaust tee, will fit on the B1 body? The high-profile B2 cover requires you to press quite hard on the purge cover in order to purge the reg. If the B1 cover was lower profile, I would think you wouldn't have to press as hard. This makes me wonder if the purge lever and diaphragm are different on a B2?

The internals are the same between the B1 and B2 2nd stages. In fact there is very little difference between the two, think more along the lines of a model year change in a car rather than a generational change. A color kit and new piston will have you back up and running.

Is there a data base that will tell you manufacture dates or model numbers from serial #? I have a couple of 1st stages I bought second hand that I would like to know how old they are.

Is there a data base that will tell you manufacture dates or model numbers from serial #? I have a couple of 1st stages I bought second hand that I would like to know how old they are.

Not that any shops would have access to. Atomic would have records as they test and log every regulator before it leaves the factory. An email or call to Atomic would be your best bet.

I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom