Atomic ARC mask lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkiDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a new Atomic subrame mask recently but haven't used it yet (looking forward to it--it fits me like a glove). My LDS now has the new Atomic ARC (anti-reflective coating) lenses available. The same mask with ARC would cost ~$30 more.

Here is some info on the technology:

http://atomicaquatics.com/vision.html

(Scroll down)

Here is an excerpt from the Atomic website:

What is ARC lens technology?

Anti-Reflective Coatings or “ARC” is a multi-layer metal oxide coating process applied to both sides of the Ultra-Clear lenses. This allows more light to enter the mask by reducing light reflections off the inside and outside surface of the lens. The metal oxide coating is only a few microns thick.

Why do you need ARC lens technology lenses?

Between 4-12% of light can be reflected back or “lost” by the standard “green float glass” mask lenses used by our competition. ARC technology lenses are especially important for SCUBA divers underwater, where available light is quickly absorbed by the surrounding water.

What will ARC technology lenses do for you?

Clearer, crisper vision. You will see more clearly underwater and objects in the distance will become more defined and acute.
Increased contrast and clarity.
Reduces eyestrain, glare, and prevents ghost images on the viewing area of the lens.
An absolute must for night diving, limited visibility conditions, and underwater photographers.

I'm going diving next week. The question is, should I trade in my normal Atomic subframe mask for the ARC version? Is it worth the extra cash? (I dive both warm water, when I travel, and cold, when I'm here at home in New England.)

Has anyone tried the new lenses yet? Are they worth it?

I just bought the new mask and chose the standard ultra-clear glass after talking to Atomic. The ARC glass is for more specialized use such night dives, cave dives, low vis polluted water. From what Atomic told me, you have the right model for your diving.
Remember to cean it well before your first dive. I used toothpaste on the lenses and skirt to remove oils.
Rex

RLarsen:
I just bought the new mask and chose the standard ultra-clear glass after talking to Atomic. The ARC glass is for more specialized use such night dives, cave dives, low vis polluted water. From what Atomic told me, you have the right model for your diving.
Remember to cean it well before your first dive. I used toothpaste on the lenses and skirt to remove oils.
Rex

When you were talking to Atomic, did they mention if the cleaning procedure was different for the ARC lens? I can't imagine that an abrasive like toothpaste would be good for a metal oxide coating that's only a few microns thick.

Like Larson said, the lenses are for more special dives and like LG said, you do not want to use the abrasive toothpaste on the ARC lens. The film is already removed on those lenses....I have the regular ultra clear frameless and love it :D

With the ARC lenses you will need different lenses for different diving.....will cost you more money or if you buy one lense, you wont be optimum in all environments, only one and thats the lens you have

Back
Top Bottom