Atomic Aquatics to Launch a new product (Regulator) on June 3rd....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What’s so good about titanium for first stages?
Replying again for some hard numbers.

Mk11Ts are 460g-Yoke (and 326g-DIN)
My brass Mk11 is 780g (707-0X0) in yoke. (Same machining pattern as the Mk11Ts. the somewhat machining-releived forged-brass versions are 719g)

The same reg is 41% less weight in Ti vs. Brass which is nice for travel. By the time you step that up to a big hunk of turreted piston like the Mk25 or AA regs, that is getting to be a goodly bit.

My brass Mk11 is 780g (707-0X0) in yoke. (Same machining pattern as the Mk11Ts. the somewhat machining-releived forged-brass versions are 719g)

The same reg is 41% less weight in Ti vs. Brass which is nice for travel. By the time you step that up to a big hunk of turreted piston like the Mk25 or AA regs, that is getting to be a goodly bit.
320 grams lighter. 320 grams more lead required.

How many regs do you take on a foreign trip? $6,000 for two sidemount regs, say $4,000 to save 640 grams

Must be very shiny 😵‍💫

When I travel with my rebreather, I'll take three reg sets with me for bailout and deco bailout (including a just-in-case spare should one of the CCR regs goes titsup). Can see the benefit for lighter regs. But as they can't be used with rich oxygen mixes, they're a complete non-starter.

Actually, @-JD- has a point. Even though it's just grams, I just did a once-in-a-lifetime trip (for me) to Raja Ampat aboard a pricey liveaboard. Getting our bags onto the smaller plane for the last leg was a REAL challenge. It wasn't a question of baggage fees (I payed the extra), it was a question of having a bag left behind for the next flight (after my boat had left). My carryon weighed 20kg with all our critical regs, computers and other heavy'ish stuff that I couldn't afford to lose. I tried to walk on board as though it just weighed 5lb, in case they checked (as the sign said they would, but frequent travelers said didn't happen). Add 300 grams extra for my primary and backup reg plus my wife's primary and backup reg, and that's two pounds.

I think the Atomic piston is a good solid piston. But it's not my favorite first stage, and is a PITA to seal. But it was my clear choice for this trip (so I could bring my D400 & D420).

I think the Atomic piston is a good solid piston. But it's not my favorite first stage, and is a PITA to seal. But it was my clear choice for this trip (so I could bring my D400 & D420).
Coming from you, I'd take that "PITA to seal" assessment as gospel.

Just what aspect(s) of that Atomic design produces that issue; or has it already been covered in one of your very few posts?

How many regs do you take on a foreign trip? $6,000 for two sidemount regs, say $4,000 to save 640 grams

Must be very shiny 😵‍💫
(Whoops, forgot to hit the post button ...)

(3) 1sts. Primary/Pony or L/R + 1 spare.

FWIW, I have no need for/interest in piston 1sts so I will not be buying a "package"

Coming from you, I'd take that "PITA to seal" assessment as gospel.

Just what aspect(s) of that Atomic design produces that issue; or has it already been covered in one of your very few posts?
I tried to do a requested video last night on sealing the T3. But I forgot to turn my recorder back on for the second half, lol! I haven't got the heart to start over, just yet.

Bottom line (well, two):
1) The magic tool leaves voids when trying to squeeze lube around all the spring coils from the piston head end,
Post in thread Atomic regs/cold water?
so I fill mine by hand with a syringe. That takes 12 minutes, and due to the viscosity can make your palm sore unless you use two 5cc syringes.

2) I am disappointed in the Monel piston. It acquires spot corrosion where sea water sits undisturbed due to filling voids or allowing sea water droplets in the inlet. Pistons by their very nature, acquire more sandblasting wear where gas makes a U-turn at the knife edge (compared with a diaphragm's <90° turn at the volcano, if you use steel tanks or your gas supply is not pristine. After twenty years of diving  only pistons, I now like my diaphragms as much or more, notwithstanding their parts count (RIP @Couv ). I have substituted ST1 SS pistons into my T2x & T3's for a trial this year.

Must be very shiny 😵‍💫

When I travel with my rebreather, I'll take three reg sets with me for bailout and deco bailout (including a just-in-case spare should one of the CCR regs goes titsup). Can see the benefit for lighter regs. But as they can't be used with rich oxygen mixes, they're a complete non-starter.

Agree its hard to justify a couple hundred grams of weight saving for $2,249.99

Im in the same boat as you but its even more involved. Typical expedition/research style diving I have recently been doing is 6 B/O regs + 1 extra drop tank reg + wing/suit inflation reg + onboard backup O2 reg. So 9 total regs. (Plus my dil and o2 regs but I wont count those)
9ea. x $2,249.99 = $20,249.90
vs. my old school super basic non fancy Apeks regs that I paid about $300 per set used
9ea. x $300 = $2,700

As much as it would be nice to have light weight regs I will gladly lug big hunks around and save the $17,549.90

Plus as stated above kind of need the weight for diving. With minimal undergarments, steel 3L's, SS backplate, and trim weights on anything over %65 He for me to get down my wing needs to be fully fully empty so I kind of need my big hunks of Apeks regs.

Also not knowing what the guts look like of these fancy $2k+ regs I am assuming the are a Royal PIA to service. Got to love how Apeks went with the kiss mentality. I literally only need a C spanner, and 3 allen keys to service my 1st stages and I can do it in about 10min on the back of a rocking boat.

What’s so good about titanium for first stages?
Weight and corrosion resistence. As I look at several regulators I own that have verdigris sprouting from the brass and chrome. Titanium does not do that. And a titanium regulator can knock quite a bit of weight off a kit especially if with braided hoses. Every pound counts when loaded for a big trip and lot's of camera gear and all of that. But, yes, I can make do with brass and chrome, if I must, and my allowance does not allow for titanium.

I would rather the Scubapro, 620Ti and Mk25Ti though, not the Atomic because of parts compatibility with my other Scubapro regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom