Atomic Aquatics M1 vs. B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiegoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I know this has probably been covered in past threads. Sorry about that.

I have pretty much narrowed down my new reg choice to either the M1 or the B2. I'm looking for opinions on both, persuading me one way or another. I've done the research on both, but am still torn between the two. I'm looking to get a DIN reg, and my dive shop said the price is the same for the M1 and the B2 in DIN.

First off, I am am not planning to do much "cold water" diving per se. However, I don't want to limit myself to later possibilities so I wouldn't mind having the reg be environmentally sealed. How much is the kit anyway? I know my dive shop can answer that, but I figured I would just ask since I'm typing anyway.

I know the M1 comes enviro sealed for cold water diving but I can add the kit to the B2 later.

The M1 has the following benefits: Nitrox to 50%, 80% 02 compared to 40% Nitrox on the B2.

The M1 also has:

A surge protected front cover (swift water protection)
Super wide exhaust deflector (I'm not sure if the B2 has a super wide exhaust now)
Seat Saving Orifice-protects second stage

The B2 has:

The all titanium 2nd stage, which is about a 2 oz. difference in weight between the M1 and the B2. (used B1 info for weight...could be different now). I know the M1 uses a different metal configuration due to its greater compatibility with higher O2%.

Comfort swivel....which I believe can be added to the M1.

So...Here's the question. To me, it seems as if the M1 has more bells and whistles, except the weight factor and the swivel.

Should I go with the M1 and add the comfort swivel aftermarket (so I have all the benefits of the reg if I ever need them)?

OR

Should I go with the B2 and add the enviro kit and the super wide M1 exhaust valve?

Any info and opinions are greatly welcomed. Thank You.

When I bought my M1, I was told that you can not add the swivel later due to the different cold water parts in the 2nd stage.

You seem to know what the differences are between the two regs. Are you going to dive cold water and/or use the reg for 50%+ O2 in the future?

Either way, you're gonna' love the way it breaths!

Enjoy!

(BTW, make sure to get a phone price quote at Scubatoys.)

As someone who anquished with that decision 6 months ago, let me add my two cents here.

Yes, the M1 can have the comfort swivel added and yes, you can get the extended exhaust tree for the B2. From a breathing perspective - they are identical.

So really, it comes down to this. Do you need the sealed first stage and/or the cave rigging on the 2nd staging? Also, are you planning on going to a more technical profile? Unless you can answer yes to these questions, it really makes NO difference. From there, you could just pick on looks. If you answer yes, go with the M1.

For me, I decided on the B2. Here were my reason:

1) Cheaper to add the M1 exhaust tree to the B2 then add the swivel to the M1. $70 for the swivel and $20 for the tree. BTW - you can color coordinate the exhaust tree with your reg. If you do go with the B2 - GET THE TREE!!!! It really helps.

2) I liked the light weight of the B2 second stage.

3) Bi-annual service is cheaper on the B2 then the M1. Special lube (christo lube or something) is required on the sealed first stage of the M1.

4) Cheezy I know, but I liked the looks of the B2 better.

And as far as the 80% O2 max out of the box on the M1, understand this. As soon as you breath a normal nitrox mix out of that reg - that benefit goes away. In order to go back to over 50%, you have to have the reg serviced. So unless you are planning on hanging that reg off your deco bottle. Don't even take that into consideration.

Do I regret my decision at all???? To be honest, yes at times I do. The comfort swivel has been somewhat of a disappointment to me, and my diving is starting to move towards a more technical nature. But I'm going to have to buy at least one more reg anyways for my doubles, and I'll put the M1 there :)

At the end of the day - expect under special circumstances (i.e., cold water diving), you can't make a bad decision!!!!! :) Both regs are awesome and will serve you well. I've had the B2 well beyound rec limits and pulling myself down a line against a near 5 knot current. Even on that dive, the reg handled like it was at 60 feet doing a nice leisurly drift dive. Atomic regs ROCK!

Michael

Thanks a lot for the input.

I think I'm leaning towards the M1 right now. The price for the DIN M1 and DIN B2 are the same. I'd rather have the capabilities for something and not need it...than get into tech or cave diving down the road, and then regret not having it. Like you said, the breathing is the same out of both regs.

I don't mind paying a little extra for the servicing of the enviro seal if it is going to enhance the durability of the reg.

Plus, the M1 already comes with the wide exhaust tree. I can live without the comfort swivel..not sure how I'd feel about it in addition to the fact that I haven't heard too many people rave about it. For that matter, I hadn't heard any opinions about it since you mentioned that you regretted having it. Why is that? Is it bothersome during the dives somehow?

Also, is the weight of the M1 second stage that dramatic of a difference, thus persuading me to go with the B2? I hope not. I guess I have to see them in person. Only a couple of dive shops in my area that has them.

Again. Thanks again. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind again.

I’ve had my B2 for about 2 years now. When I was shopping, my criteria was easy breathing, and I tried all the big names, including the M1.

I chose the B2 over the M1 because:

>The B2 breathed smoother and easier to me.
>The swivel.
>The 2nd stage seemed lighter.

I have to admit that I liked the M1 tee enough to retrofit one to my B2.

As for the swivel, well…if you dive a lot, like 5 dives a day on live-aboards…1 hour bottom times…then for me, the swivel is a must-have. It makes that much of a difference. The swivel allows me to adjust the 2nd stage to the point it has virtually no torque, pulling at the mouth, no pressure on the teeth. It just floats there in the mouth with no effort.

After using it, when I switch back to any other regulator, I notice the effort it takes to keep the 2nd stage in place.

About the only thing I saw that the M1 had over the B2 was the 2nd stage cave ring, and since I don’t do caves, it’s a non-issue. The rest of the tech stuff, oxygen clean the B2 and it’s good for 100%, and the enviro kits look the same.

Not a regret from me on picking the B2.

All the best, James

I have an M1 with the swivel and I can't say enough good about it. I do long dives off Venice Beach and even after 1.5+ hours I have zero jaw fatigue, I almost forget its even there it feels so natural. I've never tried the B2 but I can't really see 2 oz. making a huge difference weight-wise. Either way you can't really go wrong, both are great regs.

Rick Inman:
When I bought my M1, I was told that you can not add the swivel later due to the different cold water parts in the 2nd stage.

You seem to know what the differences are between the two regs. Are you going to dive cold water and/or use the reg for 50%+ O2 in the future?

Either way, you're gonna' love the way it breaths!

Enjoy!

(BTW, make sure to get a phone price quote at Scubatoys.)

Rick

You can add the comfort swivel to the M1 , but the heat sink on the M1 would have to be removed to do so. The water doesn't dip under 50 degrees down here in Georgia coastal waters so thats no big deal for us.
Atomic has however introduced a new universal comfort swivel that will be available for all regulators. This new universal swivel will also work on the M1 without having to remove the heat sink.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I don't like the swivel, I just don't find it as flexible as when I first bought it. When the reg was new, the swivel moved easily when I turned my head. Now, it is a little stiff. I have not been able to find any information on how to lube the swivel.

Before you attach the reg to the tank, the swivel moves around effortlessly. My memory is that when I first bought the reg, it moved almost that easily EVEN with the air on. Now, there have been times I've had to move it with my hands underwater. Thing is getting stiff.

I am not nitrox certified so I could be completely off on this but...

I am making the same choice and was told by a couple different shops that if I was planning on ever doing nitrox that the M1 was the way to go as it could be switched between air and nitrox up to 50%. Something about the monel parts.

So I would only have to have a dedicated tank and could use the same reg set for nitrox or air.

Anyone with more experience confirm this cause that would be a significant savings over dedicating a different reg for nitrox when the time comes.

seatiger:
Rick

You can add the comfort swivel to the M1 , but the heat sink on the M1 would have to be removed to do so. The water doesn't dip under 50 degrees down here in Georgia coastal waters so thats no big deal for us.
Atomic has however introduced a new universal comfort swivel that will be available for all regulators. This new universal swivel will also work on the M1 without having to remove the heat sink.
Ah, ha! So my info wasn't wrong, just off.

Our water gets down into the 30's in the winter, so I'll want to keep the heat sink. But it sound like the universal swivel might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the heads up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom