Assembling My Own Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimisurf

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All,

So, today I bought a TX100 from my LDS. Since this is my first reg I need to buy all the other stuff (Octo, Gauges, Suit Hose, etc) and conect it to my first stage. Is this a task that I should be able to do without my dive store's help? And if so, does anyone know of a good internet resouce that describes how to do it (Something like a complete idiots guide because I know nothing about it).

Thank You in advance.

James

As a matter of fact, it's probably better to exercise some self-sufficiency in moving/adding/removing hoses from your first stage. You won't always have a person around to help you out when you need them.

The main things to consider are the following: pick the port that is in the most logical position for what it being attached (I believe that most manufacturers have different sized orifices for high and low pressure ports, but regardless, you should ensure that high pressure is matched with high pressure and low with low), use the right tool for the job (if metric use metric, same with SAE-- and try to use a specific sized wrench when tightening or loosening the hoses-- this is not a good place for an adjustable wrench), make sure the o-rings are in good condition and lightly greased, do not over-tighten the plugs or hoses (I'm not sure of a specific torque setting for these-- just get them flush and gently firm them up-- you don't want to over do it and risk stripping them out later), and be sure to save any plugs you remove-- they can/will come in handy later and may even save a dive for you some day.

I'm not aware of an internet resource that delineates this process. Perhaps someone else is aware of such a site.

One last thought... you could ask your LDS to demonstrate this process for you. A quick demo would do more than any explanation or website to give you confidence in this.

Bob3 chimed in with my closing thought and beat me to the post!

jimisurf once bubbled...
Hello All,

So, today I bought a TX100 from my LDS. Since this is my first reg I need to buy all the other stuff (Octo, Gauges, Suit Hose, etc) and conect it to my first stage. Is this a task that I should be able to do without my dive store's help? And if so, does anyone know of a good internet resouce that describes how to do it (Something like a complete idiots guide because I know nothing about it).

Thank You in advance.

James

It's easy. Just don't use too much force when you screw in the hoses. The O-ring makes the seal so it doesn't need to be cranked down.

If you're buying a new reg from your LDS they'll probably be willing to put it on a tank and help you get all the hose routing nice and clean. It's sometimes easier to do this together with someone who can look at how it is when it's on. If I were you I'd just take my BCD with me when I went to pick the reg up and get all the hoses put on at the shop.

R..

R..

Thank You all for the replies!!

Looks like this is a simple task. The reason I will probably do the work (rather than my LDS), is that I plan to by the rest of my set-up used or through internet dealers. My LDS is quite proprietary when it comes to my buisess. I support them every way I can, but their mark-up on some equipment is just too much for me to ingore.

Thanks again for the good avice!!

James

I wonder how long it will take for LDS's to figure out that they are losing business by pricing themselves out of the market. I feel the same way about my dive shop. I was in there the other day using the pool--live in Utah and the air temp. is a bit cold right now--and one of the owners came over to tell us about some specials they were having on ScubaPro MK 20 / S400 (I really wasn't listening so this may be wrong) for $450. Special? Come on. After reading this board, I am not afraid to buy out of the country and put the stuff together myself as many are doing. Too bad for the LDS who COULD have had my equipment business if their pricing was more realistic.

....if their pricing was more realistic.
The local shops aren't the main culprits, the manufacturers have these little pricing agreements that the shop has to abide by.
If a person wants to sell (or buy) "brand z" reg, you have to play the game, (or buy from overseas where price fixing is illegal).
:mean:

An Example...
I recently picked up a uwatec bottom timer from the local shop.
He had special ordered it, and it was never picked up.
Leisurepro's price is about $95.
His cost was something like $98.
It's not always the LDS.

SMKChef once bubbled...
I wonder how long it will take for LDS's to figure out that they are losing business by pricing themselves out of the market. I feel the same way about my dive shop. I was in there the other day using the pool--live in Utah and the air temp. is a bit cold right now--and one of the owners came over to tell us about some specials they were having on ScubaPro MK 20 / S400 (I really wasn't listening so this may be wrong) for $450. Special? Come on. After reading this board, I am not afraid to buy out of the country and put the stuff together myself as many are doing. Too bad for the LDS who COULD have had my equipment business if their pricing was more realistic.

Your right we are unable to figure it out. We price things high on purpose so you will buy elsewhere. Guess again!

SMKChef once bubbled...
I feel the same way about my dive shop. I was in there the other day using the pool--live in Utah and the air temp. is a bit cold right now--
Maybe you could hop on a plane and use LP or DiveInns pool to try the new reg you buy from them.

Amazing attitude Chef.

Back
Top Bottom