Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJcop:
Lamont: Your question about where to pull over was answered above, but to re-cap: Pull over as quickly and safely as possible. If it's an unsafe area, the officer should direct you to a different spot, but after they make contact with you. I try to make sure that I stop people in a safe area, so I won't activate my lights until it's safe to do so.

As far as not attracting attention to yourself, you seem to be following the rules. State troopers here will stop at 8 over, I usually won't until 14-15ish (give/take) over.

Going too slow is usually only cited in accidents, or in obvious situations like the one you described.

What should you do if local officers are constantly pulling people over in unsafe places or doing so in a manor that blocks your driveway? I called the shift supervisor when an officer came FAR too close to me with his vehicle while I was on foot and he was making a stop. Was that the right thing to do?

Gidds:
What should you do if local officers are constantly pulling people over in unsafe places or doing so in a manor that blocks your driveway? I called the shift supervisor when an officer came FAR too close to me with his vehicle while I was on foot and he was making a stop. Was that the right thing to do?
Did the officer pull up onto a sidewalk or something? Could you provide a few more details? That way I could give you a better answer. Sometimes officers must make a very quick decision to stop someone or make a sudden turn, etc... You might have just mentioned something to the officer first, then if you weren't satisfied with his/her answer, then talk with their supervisor. I'm amazed at how quickly people want to run and cry to a supervisor without even talking with the officer first. Geesh...we're people too!!! (well, we're from another planet tho...) :)

I was standing fairly far back from the road on foot looking to cross the street. I looked one way and when I looked back the other way to see what traffic was coming from that direction along came the police car and the vehicle being stopped. It was broad daylight and the police car came within less than 3' of me and I was just standing there. I wasn't standing in a place where he had no way to avoid me, the car he wished to pull over was actually quite a good way up the street. I was very very frightened. I don't enjoy the sensation of nearly being runover.

Sorry about the scare you had, but being 3' from a moving vehicle seems to happen everyday to people. Standing on a curb, waiting for traffic to clear, people are constantly within a foot or less of traffic.

FWIW: Try standing on the shoulder of a roadway or freeway on a traffic stop and having traffic speed past you at 65-70mph...less than 3' from you. Yeah, it's part of my job, but that doesn't make it any easier to stand there!

T.J.
Not really a law enforcement question but my daughter and son-in-law are moving to the milw area this summer. They need to be close to the WI School of Med and I wondered if you knew any towns in the area that they should consider.
Mike

Newbie here --

Chicago Police - Homicide -- or "Homo-cide" as they say in the "skreets" !

downstairs neighbor in my building (house/triplex) got broken into a couple of days ago. it was stupid, the door was just unlocked and they came inside and took stuff, probably got startled by the dog (old and not terribly threatening) and left. probably just kids. they could have taken a lot more valuable stuff if they knew what they were doing...

so, obviously, lock the doors...

but far beyond that....

i was wondering if there was any point setting up some closed-circuit cameras on the doors and looking for people trying the doors and prowling... would the cops be able to use that?

Wb: It's pronounced as if it were spelled Hama-side! :)

Lamont: The cameras could be useful if they are recorded and might show the burglar(s) faces.

TJ -- I'm busting balls here, dude... I AM a Homicide guy in big old City of Chicago. Just making fun of ourselves. THEY pronounce things a wee bit different in the Windy City.

Be Safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom