Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lowell cops are scum. Doubtful. The guy was a total jerk.

Sorry about the ticket, but here's my opinion on the matter:

The lane that is ending and must merge doesn't have the right of way. Just like when you are getting onto the freeway, nobody HAS to let you in, they have the right of way.
As far as the speeding goes, if you were speeding, then you were speeding. Even if you were told to do that in your motorcycle course, it doesn't give you the authority to do it. Now, having said that, I think that was pretty lame for the officer to tag you. Maybe it's because I'm a motorcycle rider too, but I can sympathize with cyclists. I know it's dangerous out there for us, so I'm willing to give them a little more leeway. But, I'm curious how fast you were going, and what was the limit? Were you 5 over? 10 over? Was it a 45mph zone? 25mph? That can all play into it also.

he clocked me 50 in a 35...

I have taken the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course myself, way back in 1989. While I do recall the instructors mentioning accelerating away from danger, I don't recall it being the ONLY option. You have to weigh all of your options and use the best one for the situation you are confronting.

For example, if a large truck suddenly pulls out of a driveway and completely blocks the street in front of you, would you gun the throttle then? OF COURSE NOT!!

While the Saturn driver was being a jerk for not letting you in, despite a vehicle directly behind you it still would have been better to slow down. Not so suddenly the car behind you can't stop (and likely its driver was trying to find a way to merge as well and thus probably slowing down), but you should have anticipated that merge point well before you realized it was a problem, particularly if it's a road you take all the time. If the car behind you was tailgating, that should have been long recognized and appropriate action taken much sooner, such as getting into a different lane, or gradually slowing to a point where the tailgater gets annoyed and finally decides to pass.

Which brings up something that I know the MSF teaches and pounds into your head repeatedly, and that's to be constantly aware of your surroundings. Nothing you mentioned should have been a "surprise" and adjustments could have been made long before it became a problem.

You already have the practical answer. Contest it in court and hope for the best.

But RonDawg's right about the larger issue. This should have been solved before you got to the point where your choices were to break the law or risk being rear ended. To be safe, you really have to think a lot further ahead than most drivers seem to be capable of.

I remember reading something by Neal Stephenson (Zodiac?), where the main character related his bicycle riding strategy was based not on the assumption that car drivers couldn't see him, but rather that they could see him and were trying to kill him.

lowwall:
I remember reading something by Neal Stephenson (Zodiac?), where the main character related his bicycle riding strategy was based not on the assumption that car drivers couldn't see him, but rather that they could see him and were trying to kill him.

That's the mindset I have whenever I'm on a motorcycle, that nobody sees me and that those who do don't care a single bit about my safety.

While I learned this in the context of riding a motorcycle, it's also helped me become a better automobile driver, particularly in a law enforcement context.

thats basically the mindset I have...yesterday I spoke to a local officer who has offered to stand up for me in a hearing situation...which basically means, I am all set

seadoggirl:
Where can I get a tazer gun? I have the handcuffs but a tazer would really be helpful!
If you're serious, it depends on your local laws. Most areas don't allow citizens to have Tasers. Remember, you'll also need proper training to use it.
They can be purchased from the Taser website, and the prices are between $400-$1000 for the Taser, the battery is between $35-$100 and cartridges are $60 a set. Not a cheap weapon.

Sorry to break into the thread, but... I Did it!.... I read all 74 pages of this stinkin thread and I finaly got to the end! Woo Hoo!

And to you cops out there,.. Thanks and keep up the good work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom