Ascent Line rigging and deploying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by tchil01
I have two loops of surgical tubing off the bottom of my TP II

I carry my salvage bags this way too. My deco bag is a lighter weight model and is stuffed in my BP pouch. The 100 lb Carters are so big that the under-pack loops are best. I use bungee cord instead of surgical tubing.

Tom

Originally posted by Wendy
Dive rite sells a thigh pocket that is made to attach to a harness and velcro around your leg

Ahh.. that'd be perfect, and actually what I was invisioning. Is there a disadvantage to using as-is, or should I mount them permanently [with two different wetsuits, and a drysuit coming eventually I like the idea of removable...]

Originally posted by tchil01
I have two loops of surgical tubing off the bottom of my TP II ( I know, it's not a true BP... ) I roll my lift bag and secure it in the two loops. It's under my tank there's no chance of it getting snaged...
I know that folks do it but I haven't and haven't seen it myself so can't comment directly except to say that it might interfer with the butt ring use but I don't know. I should give it a try and see. I do use the butt ring for the big reel and also it is a tow point for a dead scooter driver... err... I mean the scooter is dead not the driver... he clips his scooter off on his butt ring and holds on to mine.

Originally posted by funky__monks
[with two different wetsuits, and a drysuit coming eventually I like the idea of removable...]
All it takes is money.... :D

Actually DUI has a pocket sewn onto their CF200 material that you can glue onto wetsuits or CF200 successfully.

We use billows pockets with velcro (no zipper to jam) and they don't like to stick very well... Shane has had to have his glued on twice to his CF200 and I keep adding my aqua seal to keep mine sorta on my Andy's Trilam... however the ones I just had put on my new CF200 are sweeeeeeet!

So here is a low budget idea... if you sew or know someone who does... shoot buy your wife a sewing machine and have... wait... I said low budget...

OK... make some bellows pockets outta heavy weight nylon packcloth or cordura... scrounge around a thrift store for something you can cut the material from. Then sew these pockets onto some neoprene... the glue the neoprene onto your wetsuit using seal cement or some other neoprene cement.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
So here is a low budget idea... if you sew or know someone who does... shoot buy your wife a sewing machine and have... wait... I said low budget...

*chuckle* The money isn't quite my concern [although 2 extra pockets is $50 that could go elsewhere, like the HID fund, or the drysuit fund, or the rebreather fund, or... damn I thought skiing was expensive!].

My question was more for the 'attach vs. not attach'. What would be the benefits to sewing or glueing pockets on, if I went with a pocket like the Dive Rite Thigh pocket, which velcros around my leg and clips to my belt. I'd prefer the non-permanent method, but I wanted to get an idea of the pros and cons while I weigh them out to make my decision...

Originally posted by funky__monks
I'd prefer the non-permanent method
Why?

I don't want to rely on velcro to hold on a crucial piece of gear like a pocket loaded with important stuff!

F_M,

Do yourself a favor and glue/sew the pockets (bought or
home-made) directly onto the suit.

I've used the dive-rite pocket and it never was very a joy
to use ... attached pockets much nicer.

G_M

FifthD sells some reasonably priced bellows/velcro pockets. They are $30 per.

http://fifthd.com/cgi-bin/merchant2...e=5AG&Product_Code=dir-poc-1&Category_Code=DA

Per Sonya at FifthD, these can be glued to wet or dry suits. They are large, enabling easier use with heavier gloves in colder climes. Unfortunately, they are backordered at the moment (I'm still waiting for mine), but they should be getting more in "any day".

Halcyon sells similar velcro & zippered models, but they are rather pricey at $68.
http://www.halcyon.net/exposure/accessories01.shtml

Info from Halcyon.net on attaching pockets.....look at the left side of the page.
http://www.halcyon.net/dir/index.shtml

...is the hard part...

Both Shane and I have pockets from (actually put on by) 5thD and they are coming off... Shane's have been put on his CF200 twice and I keep gluing mine on my Andy's trilam myself... that is the nature of the things I guess...

However the DUI pockets on my new CF200 are sewn onto CF200 material that is then glued to the suit... these are staying put.

So my advice is to sew the pockets to a piece of compatible material that you can then glue to your suit.

Eventually I intend to rip the pockets off of my Andy's and sew them to pieces of trilam that I can glue to the suit.

I think the problem is the heavy denier of the pocket doesn't allow a good glue bond.

Back
Top Bottom