Ascending to a lost boat - what should you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the SMB can be inflated on the surface for OW, no strict requirement for it to be deployed as DSMB while underwater.
Correct.

Only because you suggested it. I was thinking of the rotting stuff we ran into in Belize several years ago. Smelled like a sewage treatment plant. Covered the beach and went 20-30 yards out into the water. Seems like an annual occurrence in Playa too. If I had to wade and walk through that I’d be less than happy. Wife would be blowing chunks.

there have been studies about converting it to cattle feed. If I could get the cows to Cozumel, I’d be there now. Southwest has some stupid rule about “no cattle in the main cabin”. Apparently I can’t have 80 therapy animals either….

stupid rules! Still working on a work around…

y'all have e a good day!
Jay
Y’all have it in South Padre by the cubic buttload. We had machines in KW to drag it off the beach and dry it. All you need is a wind rower and a baler and you’re all set.

Agree. We did our deployment on the surface.
I call surface inflation "hurry up and inflate that SMB before that boat runs you over!"

Bad on the DM for not telling the captain what he was doing - bad maybe on the captain for not following some bubbles.

The boat should be within site of your bubbles in case of an emergency - not always possible though if multiple groups are close by and a DM makes a left turn when the captain wasn't expecting it. We have great captains that will often go sit in the shallows relaxing and go off the clock verses the bubbles - they are that good that they know where you'll pretty much be and here in Cozumel they bank on all the other boats to cover or radio if there's an emergency.......

After a 20 minute wait, I still ain't swimming to shore - that saragassum is nasty right now - chill, keep a SMB up, they'll find you - you said you weren't drifting fast and there's a lot of shore over there.....

These comments are all based on Cozumel/Playa diving, no where else

I am hell bent on the safety side. On every dive, I carry the following:

Mirror
Hurricane Whistle
DSMB with spool w/60' of line
Nautilus Lifeline Radio

So far, I have only used my DSMB. I was happy when a DM taught me to inflate it from the bottom with the exhaust from my regulator.

Does the Nautilus Lifeline take replaceable batteries? Just thinking in terms of redundancy, an extra battery in an air-tight bag might provide redundancy.
The version I have has a five year battery and no 2-way feature. Very few electronics (read none) can have the battery swapped in ocean water. I used to have a spare battery for my dive computer in my save a dive kit. It lasted one dive. You need to maintain equipment so it works when you need it. Field stripping/repairs are really the last resort. A new battery (or a charging) BEFORE it dies is best.

Does the Nautilus Lifeline take replaceable batteries? Just thinking in terms of redundancy, an extra battery in an air-tight bag might provide redundancy.

It's a sealed, rechargeable battery that needs to be replaced by the manufacturer at some point, assuming they'll still offer the service. Hopefully if they stop offering the service, they'll release the plans for do-it-yourself'ers.

It's a sealed, rechargeable battery that needs to be replaced by the manufacturer at some point, assuming they'll still offer the service. Hopefully if they stop offering the service, they'll release the plans for do-it-yourself'ers.
I've replaced batteries on several items you weren't supposed to be able to replace batteries on. However, it's not something I'd want to do in the middle of an ocean, hah.

I call surface inflation "hurry up and inflate that SMB before that boat runs you over!"

LOL! Probably true, especially in some places. I think the requirement is just that you know how to fill and deploy it. Fortunately I did OW in an area with no boat traffic. Of course I do know how to deploy my SMB from under the water.

Back
Top Bottom