Ascending to a lost boat - what should you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMB and a noisy device like a whistle or one of those loud things you can attach to your inflator hose. I usually dive in places where multiple boats wait for divers, so we either ask them to find our boat or we board their boat. They either bring us back to ours or let us hang out and have some water while we wait.

I also carry a pair of old sunglasses in my bcd pocket, some people even bring a hat. You know, to avoid a sunburned face.

Very interesting article, and depressing too. I did not realize the significance of the problem. We need Elon Musk or somebody on this.

Does the Nautilus Lifeline take replaceable batteries? Just thinking in terms of redundancy, an extra battery in an air-tight bag might provide redundancy.
no

They are inexpensive, and I always carry one (or more). However they were not required in my OW class 1.5 years ago, or AOW class 2 weeks ago (SSI, if that matters).
Interesting. I did my OW a long time ago, so lots of things were different.

Oldest daughter did OW in 2015. I can’t recall if a DSMB was used. Younger daughter did OW in 2019, she definitely had to deploy it during the dives. I did AOW in 2019, and also had to deploy it. All were SSI.

Does the Nautilus Lifeline take replaceable batteries? Just thinking in terms of redundancy, an extra battery in an air-tight bag might provide redundancy.
No. Unfortunately, at least not the Gen 1 version. Uses a non- replaceable rechargeable battery. Charges through USB. The Micro USB connector looks standard, but it’s recessed a bit to allow for a waterproof plug. That means that some cables won’t work due to interference.

This thread may convince me to carry my inReach with me when I dive. (I'd just decided that I didn't need it.)

You have an InReach and don't carry it! Why not? Such a small safety device that can be clipped anywhere on your rig, or stored in a pocket, yet it may be the thing that could save your life. I have one, and either it or an ACR View is with me on every dive in the ocean.

I am, and the auditory signal is included in the equipment list on the OW manual too if I remember correctly (along with the snorkel). I just hadn't actually considered buying one until this instance - live and learn.

Not your fault if it wasn't covered, but it really surprises me that you weren't required to deploy an SMB during your OW course. I know that different shops provide different items in those PADI kits. The kit I was given came with a plethora of "goodies" including a whistle and SMB. The kit my son was given (different dive op) did not include the SMB. During one of the OW dives when I was getting certified, it was required that we carry and successfully deploy the SMB. Maybe that was something our instructor added to the base course...not sure.

Anyway, definitely buy an SMB. The one that PADI gave us is OK, but it has an open bottom so it has to be partially submerged to stay inflated. I bought a longer, better one that can either be inflated by mouth or by using the LP hose. It's 6 ft. long/tall. I also carry a whistle and a light that has a beacon feature. If I get off course, I plan to get rescued! Haven't seen the need for a PLB yet, but maybe if we start diving in more current. The one thing I rarely carry with me is a snorkel, though I always have one in my dive bag for when the surface is rough.

Glad you got to shore safely!

I think the DSMB and noisemaker point has been established, but for further reading, there was a "what do you always carry" thread recently.

Mine, from that thread (edited for clarity and relevance.)

[...]

Always:
  • giant DSMB (bungeed below BP)
  • airhorn (attached to reg)
  • line cutter (trilobite; attached to harness)
  • 2 small (18650 LED) lights (R+L shoulders.)
[...]

Over the horizon:
  • add-on pocket with
    • strobe
    • dye marker
    • mirror
    • whistle
    • mylar sheet
    • chemlight
    • usually a water bottle or juice pouch

https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...that-you-will-always-dive-with-and-why.566979

Yes, deploying an SMB is a requirement of the PADI OW course now, but....
The one that PADI gave us is OK, but it has an open bottom so it has to be partially submerged to stay inflated.
...they don't require any particular make or model. What you got was supplied by the shop, not PADI itself.

I agree that you don't want a fully open bottom, but I haven't see one of them in years. Most of the ones that can be inflated by blowing air into the bottom are constructed so that the air will not come back out through the bottom.

I think the SMB can be inflated on the surface for OW, no strict requirement for it to be deployed as DSMB while underwater.

Yes, deploying an SMB is a requirement of the PADI OW course now, but....

...they don't require any particular make or model. What you got was supplied by the shop, not PADI itself.

I agree that you don't want a fully open bottom, but I haven't see one of them in years. Most of the ones that can be inflated by blowing air into the bottom are constructed so that the air will not come back out through the bottom.

I know they don't require a specific model. The one I have is PADI branded. I realize it came from the shop, but I'm guessing the shop bought them through PADI. It actually kind of annoys me that the branding is so obvious because it would be far better to be labeled with "Diver below" or something like that since there are plenty of non-diving boaters who don't know what the "big orange thing" is for.

ETA: The one they gave us does have a fully open bottom. I'm sure it was very very cheap for them to make and supply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom