Article: Belize's Great Blue Hole: Is It Really Worth Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't agree more! The blue hole was my first "true" deep dive after I finished my advanced open water and the feeling of truly dropping into nothing was amazing. During the dive you swim between the hanging rock formations and then watch them disappear as you swim out towards the middle to begin the ascent to your safety stop. I only saw a few sharks in the distance during the ascent, as the swept in and out of view.
I haven't met anyone else personally that has done the dive, but anyone that says it is not worth it, then simply think about the lighthouse atoll to follow! My understanding is that shops generally pair them together, and if the hole wasn't brilliant enough the wild life of the atoll should be!
A big thumbs up to Belize!

P.S. Is it possible to find D.M. positions in Belize, or is it simply who you know type situation? I'd trade my teachers salary for a one room on Caye caulker in a heart beat!

Thank you for offering a very different perspective on this topic. I have been very guilty of making negative comments about the Blue Hole. I went while on the PH Sundancer in 2009; we saw no sharks and the viz was poor. The disappointment was palpable after all the build up. I probably won't go again, but I will not summarily dismiss it when I talk to other divers in the future.

I went while on the PH Sundancer in 2009; we saw no sharks and the viz was poor.
If you want to see the sharks, dive off a day boat. They congregate at that mooring because the boats feed them—or at least they used to, when I was traveling there. I doubt there would be sharks in the blue hole otherwise.

Last edited:
I'd like to dive it but in a way that makes sense to me. Doubles and deco tanks. Quick bounce on an 80? What's the point??
Safety issues aside, to me it actually does make sense to bounce down, see the stalactites, say "cool", and head up. Of course, a lot of divers would say the same about the coral reefs I can linger for hours on.

A "fairly new diver" should not be diving the blue hole and be taken down to 145ft as you are saying. that is the definition of a "trust me dive" and not a smart thing to do. T

On my last trip to Belize I was on an excursion with two girls that were just certified. For their very first dive after passing their OW certification the dive shop in San Pedro took them right to the Blue Hole. That was not the first time I had heard of that happening either. Going to the Blue Hole from San Pedro is quite a bit more expensive than the local reefs and I see it as a complete money grab from operators with a complete and utter lack of concern for the safety of their customers. Your post supports this even further.

Also, some of the "facts" that you have about resorts in the atolls are simply false. Turneffe Island Resort gets to the Blue Hole way before any San Pedro boats can make the long haul out there. I cannot speak for the other resorts.

I loved the Blue Hole and would definitely dive it again. The follow up dives afterward were the icing on the cake for me "The Aquarium" was amazing and we also hit a nice wall. Those dives were at shallower depths where the sunlight on the reefs was spectacular. Our lunch at the Blue footed Boobie sanctuary was a nice added bonus as well.

Back
Top Bottom