Argon Is it a myth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver once bubbled...

I have, thank you. I have also hung an argon bottle off my bp and actually used it underwater. It does make a difference, as it does to the 5 others I dive with.

MD
... I'm not disputing that you and many others seem to believe it works. I was hoping there might be more than just subjective support for its use. I'm not interested in starting a fight, just looking for some facts here - convince me without the glib "try it, you'll like it" approach...

tinman once bubbled...
convince me without the glib "try it, you'll like it" approach...
It doesn't matter. Whether you believe it works or not doesn't make any thermal difference at all to me.

If you haven't tried it (correctly pre-purging your suit with argon) then you will never know.

I think it is funny that you demand proof as though it is owed to you. If you want proof then you will have to do the experiment yourself since you won't take our word for it.

tinman once bubbled...
... I'm not disputing that you and many others seem to believe it works. I was hoping there might be more than just subjective support for its use. I'm not interested in starting a fight, just looking for some facts here - convince me without the glib "try it, you'll like it" approach...

I was unaware I was trying to convince you of anything; I was mearly answering a question.
Frankly, whether you see the need to use it or not is entirely up to you.

MD

Until someone is willing to fund and conduct "conclusive" tests as to the usefulness of Argon, debates about it's effectiness will be founded upon personal opinion. Even after such a test is performed, there will still be those who will eschew the results for personal opinion.

My personal opinions:

EANx is a better insulation gas than Helium and will provide thermal retention benefits when using EANx over Helium mixes for dry suit inflation.

Argon is a better insulating gas than EANx and will be able to provide thermal retention benefits when using Argon over EANx for dry suit inflation.

Helium is a lot more expensive than EANx.

Argon is a lot more expensive than EANx.

I don't dive tri-mix.

The insulating underwear I have used for my limited drysuit diving has been sufficient for the water temperatures that I dive and for the duration of my dives to keep me functionally warm on EANx.

My conclusion:

Argon as a suit inflation gas is not cost effective for me. I intend to only use backgas to fill my suit when diving EANx (which at this point is all my dives, yes I'm couting "Air" as EANx for the purposes of this discussion). If I did dive Tri-Mix, I'd probably use regular air in a seperate suit inflation bottle because I'm a cheap miser.

I guess this is one of the sacred cows. I just thought there was more too it and was seeking information. I'll let it be. Seems I hit a nerve...

runvus4 once bubbled...

Argon as a suit inflation gas is not cost effective for me. I intend to only use backgas to fill my suit when diving EANx (which at this point is all my dives, yes I'm couting "Air" as EANx for the purposes of this discussion). If I did dive Tri-Mix, I'd probably use regular air in a seperate suit inflation bottle because I'm a cheap miser.

Cost effective is relative. After a 90 min or more dive on mix, it is highly cost effective :)

It costs me $8 to fill a 13cuft bottle with argon, and that will last me for 6 or more dives. I don't consider that expensive, but you're right, *most* rec profiles would not see the same benefit of using argon.

MD

tinman once bubbled...
I guess this is one of the sacred cows. I just thought there was more too it and was seeking information. I'll let it be. Seems I hit a nerve...
no cows and no nerve struck... you misunderstood me... I really don't care whether you use argon or not.

What you do or believe in that regard just isn't a problem for me at all.

I don't need to prove anything.

I'm warm.

Yes, I read that too...trying to remember just WHERE I read it, but I did as well...

I have asked a Chemist whom is a regular on thos board what their thoughts were on this topic, from a 'scientific' standpoint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom