Argon Is it a myth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I had heard a recent report stating that argon gas for the purpose of keeping you warm is no better then air. Has anyone read or heard the same?

Do you have a source?

Until them, I doubt it.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
Do you have a source?

Until them, I doubt it.

actually I heard it from one of the owners of the lds (even though he kinda didn't want us to mention that). I will see if I can get you his source and I will post back to let you know.

Rooster1 once bubbled...
I had heard a recent report stating that argon gas for the purpose of keeping you warm is no better then air. Has anyone read or heard the same?

This is discussed in Dr. David Sawatzky's column in the December 2002 issue of "Diver" magazine.

regards; jbm

And part 2 of the article is in the Feb. 2003 issue.

I won't be using any argon!

I can scan the article, would it be bad (copywrite thing) to post it? I would mention the source and it might help to sell a few more copies of "Diver, The Canadian Magazine of Scuba".

Rooster1 once bubbled...
Bob3 has been beating that drum for some time here on SB.

If it weren't for my personal experience to the contrary I would believe him!

There is a reason why many double pane windows are filled with inert gases like argon. They have better insulating properties than air due to their high molecular weight.

-Steve:wacko:

It's a myth. All that BS about gas density, thermal conductivity etc is only marginally important or plain wrong. Almost every point purported to be scientific explanation of argon benefit was simplistic and far from complete in condsideration of key factors such as psychrometrics, physiology, heat transfer etc. For example, argon was said to be more dense and compress less. BS. All gas compresses according to PV=nRT. Gas, any and all gas, is 1/2 the volume at 33ft as at the surface. At least that's what physics and basic PADI Open Water training tell me. WillAbbott must be NAUI trained (JK! REALLY!) Also, thermal conductivity plays a minor role relative to heat tranfer by convection, unless, that is, you stay absolutely still and don't pump and churn gas all thru your suit! Complex heat transfer, psychrometrics and phsiological factors all play a huge role in heat transfer from a dry suit. And hey, how about that head that supposedly can lose so much body heat. It's not even enclosed by that bag of air/argon/xenon we call a drysuit. Wear a darn warm, low water leakage hood!

Bottom line, pump a little extra gas in the suit (a tight suit is a cold suit), wear high quality warm and DRY undies, wear a very warm hood and you've probably optimized 90% of the heat transfer factors involved. Argon, shmargon....

Pug, you're probably warm on argon when you first fill cuz you lug that steel 70 argon bottle along. Whew, I'm hot thinkin about it!

Keep warm,
DanL, Minnesota Diver (Awww, Mom, nobody wears a hat....)

Back
Top Bottom