DIR- Generic Drysuit inflation bottle- vertical or horizontal valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travisfull

Contributor
Reaction score
Dear All,

Im currently evaluating the different options of argon bottle as drysuit inflation system.
I have already make up my mind about the size and first stage that I need, but I dont understand the difference between the orientation of the valve: in the market you can buy both horizontal or vertical valve (attached two examples).

From a DIR perspective, is there any preference or difference? Im especially thinking about when it comes to gas switch or bottles rotation, the horizontal or vertical valve of the argon bottle has any impact on those movements?

Attachments

• IMG_1021.jpeg
    IMG_1021.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1020.jpeg
    IMG_1020.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 124
Thank you very much Matan for your input.
Someone told me it may be easier to close the valve (in case you need to) with the horizontal option, but I actually tried in both configuration and I can easily reach the valve either way.
So its all about personal preference…one of the few in the DIR world 😀
doesn't matter.
doesn't impact any gas switch/bottle rotation related actions (never did for me).

Matan.

A little hack in your post Travisfull.

I'm looking into an "argon"Cylinder as well and are wondering about the size to buy.

<1ltr capacity is in the Netherlands free of hydrostatic testing but is the 0.85ltr cylinder volume sufficient?

Kind regards,
Bas

I'm looking into an "argon"Cylinder as well and are wondering about the size to buy.

<1ltr capacity is in the Netherlands free of hydrostatic testing but is the 0.85ltr cylinder volume sufficient?

Kind regards,
Bas
What's the fill pressure on that 0.85L? At 200+ bar its good for one dive. If you want to do 2x dives a day or cave dives (france?) you'll want something closer to 2L

ps your 0.85L is very similar to our "AL6" here. 6cf at 206 bar

Dear All,

Im currently evaluating the different options of argon bottle as drysuit inflation system.
I have already make up my mind about the size and first stage that I need, but I dont understand the difference between the orientation of the valve: in the market you can buy both horizontal or vertical valve (attached two examples).

From a DIR perspective, is there any preference or difference? Im especially thinking about when it comes to gas switch or bottles rotation, the horizontal or vertical valve of the argon bottle has any impact on those movements?
The vertical knob out the top can actually cause issues and roll off from rubbing on your thigh (depending on exact position). They are great in some situations but DIR suit gas bottles are better with the conventional knob out the side

The GUE literature for the bottle recommends an inline knob, but doesn't specify it as a requirement

What's the fill pressure on that 0.85L? At 200+ bar its good for one dive. If you want to do 2x dives a day or cave dives (france?) you'll want something closer to 2L

ps your 0.85L is very similar to our "AL6" here. 6cf at 206 bar
Thanks for the information Jack.
Fill pressure is indeed 200/207 bar officially.

1 dive only is not worth it in this case, I'm not (yet) trimix certified and not sure if this will ever happen.

Happy diving,
Bas

Kind regards,
Bas
standard tea dives (between 1 and 2 hours at 40-60mt) 0,85lts is more than enough for 2 dives at least. I heard a lot of divers who each time finish the 0,85 bottle but it is not a good sign, it means you are using the drysuit for buoyancy.
Even if you are not TMX it could be good idea to start using the argon bottle so to become comfortable with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom