Question Are You Tired of the Taxi Ripoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just arrived in Cozumel and have been ripped off four times by taxi drivers! I thought I did enough due diligence to be informed about what I should be paying from point A to point B, but the taxi Mafia has little care about adhering to their rules. The first three drivers refused to provide me the rate card. The fare should have been 260 pesos from Casa Mexicana to Iberostar. The first two drivers quoted 350 pesos to which I countered with the correct fare. The price was lowered to 300 pesos. Once I mentioned I wanted to see the rate card, they all of a sudden didn't understand what I was talking about. I walked away and headed down the road on foot to catch another taxi. Driver number three said 300 pesos and also refused to provide the rate card. Now I was running out of time to get to my destination, so I paid the $300 pesos.

Coming back from iberostar, with no option, I was forced to pay the $300 pesos from Iberostar to Casa Mexicana. Once we arrived, I waited till my stuff was out of the van and then I asked the driver for his rate card, to which he did not know what I was talking about. I then typed the question into Google Translate and showed it to him. He looked dumbfounded and wouldn't answer, even seeing the question in his own language. I then went to the front of the van and took a picture of his license plate. He conveniently found a rate card. This rate card was in USD for cruise ship passengers only, for transportation from the International and Punta Langosta Piers. It occurred to me now that the drivers are charging regular tourists the cruise ship passenger rates all the time. This was not a zone rate card and it was not in Spanish or Pesos. When I asked to take a photo of the rate card, he refused. Now I'm angry and telling him that by law he needs to show it to me. He finally let me get a photo, but he didn't make it easy and wouldn't let me touch it. He says that Casa Mexicana is at Punta Langosta Pier. So somehow that means I'm a cruise ship passenger?

I would be interested to know what the community here does in these situations in Cozumel. Besides taking a picture of the license plate, what other photos should one gather in the event of filing a formal complaint? I'm not saying I would take time from my vacation to do so, but this might be enough of an intimidation to the driver that I'm not a customer that will be taken advantage of.

I'm thinking that Maybe I should just get in the cab, knowing the price, and pay it at the destination. If he has a problem with it, then that would be another issue.

I’ve been debating about whether to post here, but here goes:
Negotiating prices for many things throughout Mexico is very common. It is part of the culture. When you go to another country, it is important to learn about, and respect, that culture. (I imagine that this could be challenging for those on a cruise because they’re just being plopped into multiple different cultures for a short visit. One of the reasons I’d never go on a cruise ship.) One of those cultural practices is negotiating prices!
It can take a bit of work/research, but first, determine what something is worth, and then decide how much you’d be willing to pay for it. These prices can change in different scenarios. For example, for taxis: are you in a hurry to get somewhere? Are there no other taxis around? Is it late at night? In these cases a taxi ride might be worth a lot more to you than in other scenarios, and you might be ok paying a little more.
I actually see it as a challenge, and feel proud when I can negotiate a great taxi fare (especially when they start out trying to fleece me 😂). But that usually comes after taking a few rides and figuring out how low drivers are willing to go.
Always, always ask the fare before you get in the taxi. Go to the passenger window, wait for them to roll down the window, be polite, recognize their humanity: say good morning/afternoon, ask how much it costs to go to x place. If you don’t like the price, smile and say “no, gracias” or even “no me puede levar por x pesos?” (Could you drive me for x pesos?) If they are unwilling to lower the price, and the price they are offering isn’t worth it to you at that moment, just walk away. No need to be rude to the driver or get offended.
A driver’s willingness to lower their price also depends on a number of factors: is it the first fare of the day? Do they really need your money? Do they think they could make more waiting for another passenger? I’ve gotten great fares before from drivers because it was the first fare of the day (In many businesses, the first sale is good luck for the day and some vendors will make the sign of the cross with the money from the first sale in their hands.) Sometimes the driver just offers me a good price. When that happens, I learn how low I might be able to talk future drivers down (again, depending on the above factors).
Try not to take it personally. Again, it is part of the culture. Engage in the culture. You are not in your country/culture. You are a visitor.
I lived in Mexico for 6 years and worked as an artisan, selling jewelry, sometimes while traveling. The price I offered on a given day, at a given time, could vary on a number of factors. Yes, there was what I determined my work to be worth. But since we were in Mexico, I always had to start off asking for a higher price because I knew the person would try to haggle with me. Sometimes, they tried to haggle below what I determined a piece’s worth to be. In that case, I’d say no, and let them walk away. At that point, they’d realize that I would go down no more. If they really wanted it, they would come back and pay the price, if not, no worries, we both knew what the piece was worth to each of us. If sales were low that day, and I really needed money, I would go lower than I’d be willing to go on a day when sales were good. If I was traveling, and really needed money for food, a hotel room, or bus, I might start off with a really great offer to get a quick sale, or just be less firm in haggling.
The rate card is a good way to get a general sense of what you should be paying for a taxi. But you’re in Mexico. Enjoy your vacation. Try to engage with Mexicans and learn the culture. Humility will open a lot of doors in Mexico.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.
No, taxi fares in Cozumel, unlike places where rates are unregulated, are not for haggling. I’m fine with haggling in places in the world, including other towns in Mexico, where there is no fixed price.

I would like to point out that many prices are set by the government in Mexico, and are not negotiable. Gasoline, Tortillas, and Taxi Fares are just three of them. Locals do not haggle for a lower price on these fixed-price items. Nor do they need to argue with the vendor to get the item or service for the government set price. The set price is the set price. If a vendor tries to charge more than the set price, the buyer can contact PROFECO, or just threaten to call PROFECO, and the price will be reset to the government price level and the vendor punished or warned. Only tourists pay more than the government-set prices, because of a number of circumstances; ignorance of the official price, too lazy or too rushed to argue, lack of the ability to speak Spanish, lack of change, feeling that they are rich and the vendor is poor and overpaying is a kindness, etc. All of these reasons for paying a taxi more the government-set price has caused a lot of problems for the folks who live in Cozumel and have an income based on the peso economy.

What happens is, the taxi drives would rather vie for over-paying tourists as riders rather than pick up locals who pay only the set price. It got so bad, the government and the Taxi unions finally made an agreement for each taxi to refrain from servicing the tourist zones one day a week on a rotating basis. That plan backfired, when most of the taxis who drew the short straw for the day and were excluded from the tourist zones just took that day off. Most of them would rather not work at all than be forced to service the locals. Now, the mototaxis are trying to fill that void. That void exists, because tourists continue to overpay the taxis, and the taxis would rather service "rich" tourist who throw around their money than locals who live on a tight budget and want (and have a right) to pay the government-set price. Tourists don't over pay for the other government-set prices, only taxi fares, and many of them continue to defend the practice, even when they understand the consequences to the locals who do not have the economic resources the tourists do.

It may feel good for you to help one "poor" guy (the taxista) by overpaying such a small amount (small to you), but your actions are detrimental to thousands of others who live here and you are not directly interacting with on your visit.
and that should be all that is needed to be said.
too bad most people just dont get it. or more accurately.....they do get it and just dont care.
most people these days only see how their behavior affects them. they refuse to consider the bigger picture.
although to be fair, some well meaning tourists are just not aware of the consequences of their actions. and many might change if they were to read a post like yours.
what is frustrating is when you read comments from those that completely understand, but refuse to change.

But the whole point is that you ARE NOT at home…
i completely agree. and i do hate it when travelers compare pricing etc to home. i was merely trying to provide an example that you ight understand. apparently you do not.
just because it is mexico does not mean their are not rules in place. it is not the wild west. lol
read el graduado's post. if you dont get after that, you never will.

They were, and they are still valid. No changes since 2016...

Write them a letter with your great suggestions. I am sure you will see immediate action taken.

Obviously. What I said was "I have posted this many times before on ScubaBoard, but it seems few people pay attention. Taxis & City Buses - EverythingCozumel That is a link to my website that has the taxi zones and rates. It is pretty easy for a typical visitor to the island to use to determine what the correct taxi fare should be for where he is going."

You know, I have been posting solid information about Cozumel on ScubaBoard for a few years now, and it always seems that some visitors who come to the island once a year for a vacation think they know tons more about the island than I do. I am done. I am signing off and going to leave it to folks like Gordon who know it all, so that they can do a better job than I do to help you. Good luck.
is there a post with your web site that is a sticky for the cozumel forum? if not, maybe it should be.

i completely agree. and i do hate it when travelers compare pricing etc to home. i was merely trying to provide an example that you ight understand. apparently you do not.
just because it is mexico does not mean their are not rules in place. it is not the wild west. lol
read el graduado's post. if you dont get after that, you never will.
Thanks for mansplaining how things are to me. According to you, my little brain just can’t handle your level of wisdom 😂
Why don’t you read my post and explain why, if the all-knowing El Graduado says a taxi ride costs $105 pesos, and has since 2016, I paid only 70-100 pesos? Why, if it really is such a clear-cut answer, can you not find these rates easily and consistently? Why, if you do a Google search, do you come up with a bunch of photos of rate charts posted (edited to: at the ferry) that contradict the prices on El Graduado’s web page? Why are there so many posts of people on here complaining about not being able to see a rate card and getting into arguments with taxistas?
Ok rick, you clearly know it all. How far does that attitude get you in Mexico?

Thanks for mansplaining how things are to me. According to you, my little brain just can’t handle your level of wisdom 😂
Why don’t you read my post and explain why, if the all-knowing El Graduado says a taxi ride costs $105 pesos, and has since 2016, I paid only 70-100 pesos? Why, if it really is such a clear-cut answer, can you not find these rates easily and consistently? Why, if you do a Google search, do you come up with a bunch of photos of rate charts posted at hotels that contradict the prices on El Graduado’s web page? Why are there so many posts of people on here complaining about not being able to see a rate card and getting into arguments with taxistas?
Ok rick, you clearly know it all. How far does that attitude get you in Mexico?
i prefer yoda. and you have completely missed the point as most do. carry on.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Lets play nice, please.

Does CZM not understand how this works?

I'm keeping a list, and checking it twice. (Santa analogy due to 5" of global warming piled on top my truck, deal with it)

Fare rip offs, cop rip offs, port closures, dock drama, mediocre diving for all but the chosen favorite divers, boats that sink or should be sunk, all ends up sending your island lower and lower on my list.

Convenient 1st class flights and fares, nice resorts, and 4 dive/day packages, bumps you up that list.........but nobody wants to get shaken down by a cop or taxi driver.

In true Scuba Board fashion we have posted 108 replies to topic that has already been discussed in many other posts. This horse is dead, for now...
:deadhorse:
We should get back to topics that are more important to this forum, like restaurants :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom