Are you nitrox certified?

• Yes

Votes: 102 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should qualify my last statement to say that I dont see much point of nitrox in recreational diving for the diving we were doing, ie. max 1 hr on a dive site.

String:
Im quite happy given the 20+ cylinders of it used every day on the boat and the CMAS instructor and certification. I was given the option of waiting for them to refill an air cylinder but i didnt want to delay the 2 try divers (only others on the RIB that afternoon).
The dive was a shallow one to no more than 20m and yes if needed i was quite happy to trust him on the contents.
Ive never bothered checking my air fill to make sure its really air either.

We're not talking some vastly complicated system here. Its a tank with nitrox. Very simple theory, very simple in practice.

Personally, that would not be good enough. For me - always check. Generally there's not much danger in an air fill being off in the O2 content as there is no mixing involved. And MOD is not really a factor. Nitrox is a completely different issue.

Actually, those who are not nitrox certified are less likely to respond. The poll, like almost all polls, is meaningless.

Michael Schlink:
Why dive air shallower than 120'

Well, for one thing ... in much of the world air will still be your only option. One of my favorite dive locations is Barkley Sound, on the west coast of Vancouver Island. The locale is fairly remote, and if you want a Nitrox fill you will have to opt for a lengthy (2+ hour) boat ride, followed by a 60-mile drive to get to a dive shop that offers it. Or, you can simply dive air and have your cylinders filled at the lodge.

Most remote locations will have a compressor available ... but may not have O2 ... and will typically not have air of such a high quality that you'd want to put it into your O2 cleaned cylinders in any case.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

divemed06:
For those of you who are nitrox certifired, how many of you actually dive nitrox? Reason I'm asking is that it's one thing to have the cert but it's another to use it. Does cost come into play?
I dive Nitrox about 80% of the time. It is well worth the price to not feel like toast the rest of the day. Anytime I can obtain a nitrox fill I use it and so does my buddy. Just my 2 pesos

I'm nitrox certified and like the stuff. I don't use it on short, routine
dives where air is just as good. Also, I don't like to use it in water
deeper than the MOD for the blend...If I wind up on the bottom for
some reason I don't want to worry about a CNS hit.

Am doing my nitrox nearly as we speak. Got one more dive to do and the academics to finish off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom