Are you nitrox certified?

• Yes

Votes: 102 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just voted - the results showed that 79% of respondents use nitrox and 21% use air.

Too funny!

Im not Nitrox certified quite simply because id find it next to useless for the majority of my diving.

Most of my diving is club based weekend only

We never know what site to dive until actually on the boat and at sea to get a judge for conditions. If one site is rough we'll pick somewhere else and so on. If we hear reports of great visibility somewhere we'll go to that.
The result is our dive could be at depths anything from 9m to 40m and we wont know which until on the water.
Nitrox would restrict the maximum depth and mean some of the dive sites are impossible on what you have in the tank and therefore severely limit the day.

Holiday/Liveaboard diving i can see where it would come in useful but that only makes up a small part of my dives so at the moment its not worth the cost of course.

Ive done exactly 1 dive on nitrox and that was abroad and purely because the dive shop had 1 tank with EAN32 already filled and would delay the rest of the trip if they had to start up the compressors and get 1 more air.

String:
Ive done exactly 1 dive on nitrox and that was abroad and purely because the dive shop had 1 tank with EAN32 already filled and would delay the rest of the trip if they had to start up the compressors and get 1 more air.

I find it surprising they gave it to you without you being nitrox certified. Did they make you sign the fill log and make you do/watch a test?

Given as i was the only unpaired diver that day i was actually diving as a pair with the main instructor so im guessing that removes the responsibility.

I have no issues with it.

String:
Given as i was the only unpaired diver that day i was actually diving as a pair with the main instructor so im guessing that removes the responsibility.

I have no issues with it.

Well, you trust your life in someone else's hands then. Personally, I would have demanded to test the O2 content personally or have it done in front of me rather than trusting anyone's word, instructor or not.

Im quite happy given the 20+ cylinders of it used every day on the boat and the CMAS instructor and certification. I was given the option of waiting for them to refill an air cylinder but i didnt want to delay the 2 try divers (only others on the RIB that afternoon).
The dive was a shallow one to no more than 20m and yes if needed i was quite happy to trust him on the contents.
Ive never bothered checking my air fill to make sure its really air either.

We're not talking some vastly complicated system here. Its a tank with nitrox. Very simple theory, very simple in practice.

I dive nitrox about 95 percent of the time. I limit my depths to 130-140 in any case because I am not trained for helium mixes and I would prefer to cut down on that "martini rule" for narcosis.

My doubles nearly always have EAN28 unless I know that I have a shallower dive coming up. EAN32 will work for the vast majority of my (I don't know what wreck I'll wind up diving) diving and the EAN36 prebanked at the dive shop is what I use most of the time as the depths of the local diving rarely reach 100 ft.

I have used standard air when I know that the diving is 30 ft. or less or the cost difference is so much to prohibit using nitrox for all my dives. The other reason would be that I would be diving a remote location that doesn't have nitrox available.

Nitrox is good for multiple dives over multiple days, for anything else I usually don´t bother. Not so much because of the $ aspect of it (even though it is more expensive) but because of the hassle of administring it and because of the depth of my dives. It is GREAT on liveaboards however...I was on one in Egypt this fall and I can tell you that I felt a lot better than my non-nitrox diving buddy after a couple of days worth of diving (about 3-4 dives/day). Defintively worth the $ for the cert in my opinion...

I teach i but never use it for recreational diving. Learnt it myself as I would like to move into tech diving.
Dont see a huge amount of use for it, yes the ndl's are longer but never seen a dive boat operation that stayed long enough on a dive site to make use of this where I worked.
Main use I would guess would be those instructors / dm's who want the feeling of greater safety from using lower N ratios, in reality the safety statistics are comparable for either air or enriched air in recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom