Are you fit to scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I only recently got our certification. After hanging out at the LDS on social nights and going on a couple of weekend group dive trips, we were both surprised at how the majority of the people around us "appeared" to be out of shape physically. Many of them struggled to get up from the bench of the dive boat and stagger to the back and drop in. And I have to wonder how many of them would make it in a situation where they had to put that gear on and then make a short hike to get to the water in the heat.

When we first started doing this, we were surprised at how exhausted we felt after a morning doing a 2-tank dive. But to me it felt like a different kind of exhaustion. I didn't feel physically tired like my muscles were worn out. I felt tired "on the inside". That's the only way I know to describe it.

I have always been somewhat active. Mainly doing weight training, but not a lot of cardio. At 6' tall and age 47, I still have a 32" waist. I don't like cardio so I never did a lot of it since I controlled my weight through sensible eating and resistance training. Since we started scuba, my wife and I have made cardio part of our 4-time-weekly gym visits. On our last scuba trip, that "tired on the inside" feeling was mostly gone. I was also ending my dives with more air in my tank. And most of the big guys were coming up way sooner than me.

The MD who started this thread was probably talking more about the physical effects of obesity or other medical conditions on their ability to handle the unique stresses of scuba. And there is no doubt that obesity diminishes your body's ability to deal with those effects. But then again, so does a sedentary lifestyle. And obesity and sedentary do not always go hand-in-hand. I think the guy who weighs 300 and has a strong cardio regimen can probably handle scuba better than the guy who weights 175 and sits on his couch all the time between dives.

But as someone else stated, the mental game has a big part in it. If you are stressed while you are underwater, your body is going to be more exerted. Your heart will beat faster, your breathing will be faster, your blood pressure will go up, your thinking will not be as clear. Give me a dive buddy with a 52" waist but is calm under pressure, and give the guy with a 32" waist who panics to someone else.

All you young whipper snappers be careful judging us aging pudgy types. I'm 5'9", 200 pounds, 53 years of age, and can swim two pool lengths underwater. When my son certified two years ago, I took the course with him as a refresher, and to audit his class. I out performed the three 20-somethings in the class by a huge margin in the swim tests, and beat out my then 13-year old son by a somewhat narrower margin. Because of a bad knee, I would never try to outrun those 20-somethings on land, but my endurance and water skills put them to shame in the pool. You do know when us geezers were young, we had to swim up hill...both ways...in the pool sessions. :D

This is bound to get some people heated... Sorry ahead of time, my scale is a little different... If your belly is 2x bigger around then you are at the shoulders you should not dive. If the diameter of your butt is more then 2x your waste you should not dive. If you cannot swim 2 laps in a pool you should not dive. If you don't go to the gym (or equivalent) at least 2hrs per week you should not dive. If you don't dive At least 2x every 6 months (average) you should not dive, this aint riding a bike. If your are taking 2 or more cold medications you should not dive. If you have had more then 2 beers in 2hrs you should not dive. If you smoke more then 2 cigarettes every 2 days (average) you should not dive. if you don't drink at least 2 liters of fluid everyday you should not dive. My point here is if your not actively diving, taking care of yourself or using anything in excess and it shows you probably would be better served to stay out of the water. With or with out a doctors note...

I pass your health screen but you remind me a little too much of my ex wife. She used to should on me every chance she got.

Where I usually dive, on a good day anyone who can climb a ladder with a tank can do it, on a bad day no one can do it. Of course the more fit you are the better. What starts out as a routine swim in the park can rapidly turn into a stressful struggle for survival. But no matter how physically fit, technologically, and psychologically prepared you are, if Mother Ocean has your number, there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Any dive can be your last and its foolhardy to strap on a tank without recognizing that.

I pass your health screen but you remind me a little too much of my ex wife. She used to should on me every chance she got.

Yeah I was having a bad day when I wrote that. 3x in the last 30days I've had to go after someone... Everyone of them fit some combination of what I described, in the previous post you quoted... People need to dive with in their limitations, If that means not at all then so be it. Who cares if you spent a bunch of money on the trip, boat, gear, etc... Its not worth your life or mine.

This post was originally meant for people to look at themselves, thin or fat, and honestly assess their health. I did not intend for it to be a opinion board on eating and weight, dieting, self control, etc.

So, to get off the weight subject. Everyone who smokes knows it is bad for their health. But just to say they should quit because it's bad for their health isn't enough. Everyone who smokes already knows (or at least should!) that it's not healthy. Many have tried to quit many times only to resume smoking again. It is not an easy thing to do, and has been said that it is harder to quit smoking than to quit an addiction to cocaine. Point is, there are multiple reasons and psychological interactions at play with our habits. Making simple statements about complex subjects doesn't fit any more than one size clothes fits all.

Diving is about knowing your limitations, and that includes your physical limitations. Diving should be safe when done within the confines of your training and skill. Panic sets in when your are in situations you are not trained or do not have the experience to handle. Doesn't matter if you are fat, thin, blue, purple, short, tall, or whatever.

And why can't we be polite and civil to each other? A democracy is in place so that everyone has a right to his or her own opinion. This Nation was founded on the basic premise when people were leaving their homes due to persecution in hopes of living where tolerance is accepted. You can have your opinion, you can express your opinion, but that does not give you the right to call others names because they disagree with you. :no:

If you my kid you'd have to stand in the corner and take a time out until you can treat others with repsect. :D

Now, all this arguing has made me hungry. I think I'll join Bob in the pub for a beer and something to eat.

This post was originally meant for people to look at themselves, thin or fat, and honestly assess their health. I did not intend for it to be a opinion board on eating and weight, dieting, self control, etc.
Point taken...

So, to get off the weight subject.

I didnt realize that it became that much of a subject... Seems only mentioned... Not sure what your issue is.

Everyone who smokes knows it is bad for their health. But just to say they should quit because it's bad for their health isn't enough. Everyone who smokes already knows (or at least should!) that it's not healthy. Many have tried to quit many times only to resume smoking again.
Thats because they are weak minded and dont have the will or grit to do it.

It is not an easy thing to do, and has been said that it is harder to quit smoking than to quit an addiction to cocaine.
Its also been said that the world will end Dec 21. 2012...
Point is, there are multiple reasons and psychological interactions at play with our habits. Making simple statements about complex subjects doesn't fit any more than one size clothes fits all.

Diving is about knowing your limitations, and that includes your physical limitations. Diving should be safe when done within the confines of your training and skill. Panic sets in when your are in situations you are not trained or do not have the experience to handle. Doesn't matter if you are fat, thin, blue, purple, short, tall, or whatever.

And why can't we be polite and civil to each other? A democracy is in place so that everyone has a right to his or her own opinion. This Nation was founded on the basic premise when people were leaving their homes due to persecution in hopes of living where tolerance is accepted. You can have your opinion, you can express your opinion, but that does not give you the right to call others names because they disagree with you. :no:

Democracy is followed by the constittution (USA) which includes freedom of speech, right to disagree and not get along...Though this forum does not follow those guide lines. If you get out of line then your comments may be deleted and your priviledge to enjoy this site may be removed... Non the less, all threads are subject to highjacking and disagreements... Get over it.
If you my kid you'd have to stand in the corner and take a time out until you can treat others with repsect. :D

Yeah, I doubt that would go over well...

Now, all this arguing has made me hungry. I think I'll join Bob in the pub for a beer and something to eat.

I originally commented on your post days ago... Since then most if not all of my replies have been to those who disagree, to the extent of making rude comments to me. Im sorry there have been a few who seem to want to start a forum fight with me, that said I will never back down even with the threat of being kicked off this site or irritating you. For you to sit back and say we are being children is absurd and hypocritical. You implying we are children is no better insult then those already stated. You are no different. Except for the fact as this forum pertains you are the child when it comes to diving as I have spent more time peeing in my wetsuit then you have bottom time.

Brendon, I was one of the people who disagreed with you. I also disagreed with someone who disagreed with you...because he did so in a rude manner not suitable in the Basic Forum.

This whole "I will never back down" ethos put forward by both you and your detractor comes across as being very silly, in my opinion. It's an internet forum, not a bar fight...

As I have said many times: disagreement is fine, as long as it is polite and hopefully well-considered. That helps everyone appreciate multiple sides of an issue. Chest-thumping doesn't help to make an argument better.

With respect, you have made a number of unequivocal statements that demonstrate what I can only describe as a lack of nuanced understanding. You started by saying people with "x" "shouldn't" dive and that, rightly, got many peoples' hackles up. You got nuanced responses from a number of people challenging your assertions. You then sensibly moderated your comments by saying that you wrote that while having a bad day, and gave us reasons that helped us understand your context (3 recent rescues). But then you go on to make another black-and-white statement about people with habits you dislike, calling them "weak minded and lacking grit"...and immediately go back to chest-thumping. Please try to introduce some nuance into your comments! For a minute there I thought Bob had you convinced that people diving within their skill and physical limits was sensible...now I get the sense that you're back to a scuba-police position of "shouldn't."

All the best,
Dennis

I am not sure what it is about scuba that has so many people wanted to create and enforce rules and control. I think we can all agree to some basic "shoulds": dive within your training and in accordance with any personal limitations, dive a plan appropriate to your gas and equipment...I really don't understand the thrill some people seem to get out of trying to assert control over how or whether other people dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom