Are you fit to scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
One of the reasons I have gravitated to SB is to learn how to be a better and safer diver. Even before I was certified I would go to the Lessons for Life section of Scuba Diving Magazine and read through the article. They're basically stories of divers who made mistakes and died. At the end of the article the experts discuss what went wrong and how to avoid them. One month the article specifically included a diver who had a heart attack while diving.

Well, there is only a limited number of monthly magazines. So I started going to the Accidents and Incidents forum here. Lots more posts to go over and maybe learn some pearls. There were two accidents in particular that struck a chord.

Both involved sudden death incidents while diving and ironically both divers as it turns out were significantly overweight. One thread in particular started going off on a tangent on whether or not a Body Mass Index is an accurate measure of health.

Just for background, I am a general internal medicine MD and am board certified. The following is my opinion on health and is an amalgamation of accepted medical practice, standard recommendations for diet and exercise, and my own personl beliefs on diet and exercise. And just because this is a litigious nation the following is not intended to diagnose or treat any condition, and is intended for the sole purpose of education in general.

My normal assessment for health is a general health history. Basically do you have any underlying medical illnesses and what medications are you taking? In that section patients will indicate if they exercise or not. I will assume that all of you have had your medical waivers signed by your doctors and have been medically cleared to dive. If has been several years since then, please keep reading.

The next part is the physical exam. For new patients and complete physicals these always include blood pressure, height, and weight. I actually have a electronic medical record and can click a box that will give me a Body Mass Index, or BMI. Please, this is not to discuss the validity or accuracy of a BMI on health. This is only one of many factors we will discuss. Then I listen heart, lungs, etc. BTW I also look for skin lesions especially melanoma so wear sunscreen and cover up.

The last part of the evaluation will be the blood test. Specifically I am concerned about fasting blood sugar since it screens for pre-diabetes or diabetes itself and a cholesterol panel since it screens for risk of cardiovascular disease.

Please note that none of these parameters by themselves is a measure of health. They are markers for risk factors and have an association for other medical conditions. Being overweight does not mean you will develop diabetes but you have and increased risk of developing diabetes. High cholesterol and or high blood pressure does not mean you will have a heart attack or stroke, but your risk is higher the higher your levels respectively.

More important, I generally look at your BMI and your exercise capacity. If you are overweight I recommend losing weight. Generally this only takes place in the setting of both diet modifications and exercise. For exercise I make a generic recommendation referred to as a walk talk sweat test. You want to walk fast enough to develop a light sweat but not so strenuous you can't carry on a conversation comfortably at the same time for 20-30 minutes. This equates simply to moderate level exercise and you should to attempt to exercise 3-4 times a week. I know we are all busy and this may not possible for everybody but even once a day is better than no exercise at all.

As for diet, please be honest with yourself. It is a calorie issue and you need to match you calories in to your calories out. It is not my purpose to get into the advantages or disadvantages of specific diets. Find a daily calorie calculator, figure out how many calories you need per day based on age, sex, and activity and target your intake to that level. More calories you will gain weight, less calories you will lose weight.

How does all this related to scuba? Well, as it turns out both the divers I mentioned were significantly overweight in the 300 lbs range. By any means they were overweight. Using DAN numbers, being either overweight or actually obese was associated nearly 75% deaths. In addition, cardiac causes of death was about 26% of fatalities. So if you are overweight and out of shape you have a higher risk of a diving fatality. Also, the month of July has the highest fatality rate. I found this very interesting, and my own $0.02 is that this is when the highest number of out of shape divers are getting in the water. They haven't exercised for a while and underestimated the physical exertion of scuba and suffered a cardiac event. Also, a higher number of divers not having dived for a while and increased risk dive accident.

Now, nothing I've said is specific to dive related medicine. If you are on medications you will need to clear them with you own MD. However, as good general medical recommendations please diet, exercise, and maintain a healthy body weight. Never underestimate the value of a good nights sleep. Laugh often and with others. Hug your spouse and your kids or pet. Don't forget to smile.

If it has been a while since you had your medical waiver signed, or if it has been a long time since you went diving, please plan for your dive vacation by starting an exercise regiment several weeks before your trip to ensure you are healthy enough to participate and think about a refresher course. These may actually make your trip more enjoyable.

Wishing all of you good health. Have fun, and safe diving to all.

I really like the walk talk sweat test. I think the only reason I've been stable in my weight is because I choose to walk to and from classes rather than taking the bus. I'll probably have to get more committed to an actual exercise regime once I graduate.
On the bright side, maybe I'll gain enough weight to finally qualify for blood donations :D

Very interesting statistics. My question would be whether the diving was actually a contributing factor to the cardiac events. The act of diving is relatively passive, and should not cause a significant physical stress. Obviously, fighting a strong current or surge would be an exception. But I wonder if the fact that the cardiac events occuring in a non-life-sustaining environment, was the cause of them becoming fatalities. My point is, I can think of a multitude of daily activities that get my heart rate up higher than a normal dive does.

Nevertheless, I see your point. It can be strenuous at times...and good physical fitness is never a bad thing.

A person would have to be in pretty rotten shape to have a heart attack brought on by jumping off a boat and swimming around for a few minutes. This type person should limit their activities to watching TV. I'm 71 and don't want to relate all the stuff wrong with my health which includes heart rythum problems, a bout with cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, athletes feet and bad breath but my diving activities aren't compromised by any of these and other disorders which I am afflicted with. I figure that if you can walk a quarter mile without falling to the ground in agony it's a go for diving. If not just be a bubble watcher and enjoy the boat ride and sunshine.

Ok, I'm 58, 5'8", 168#, no medications or known health issues. But if I'm destine to die anyway, I may as well do it underwater ... someday.

Edit: Don't have regular exercise regimen, just lucky I guess.

Thank you for the post, freewillie! As an ER doc myself, I see the results of a sedentary lifestyle all too often. Lots of research suggests that there are many benefits to the "walk-talk sweat test" type of exercise -- you don't have to go bust your butt in the gym to improve your stamina, reduce your weight, keep your joints flexible and maybe even keep your brain that way!

I am 35 years old. I used to smoke two packs a day (from 15 years old until I was 30). During those years, I did zero exercise. When I reached thirty I decided I wanted to really take care of myself. I quit smoking, I started doing exercise. I grabbed my ole mountain bike and I started to ride everyday to work. Then I really liked the whole bicycle thing. So I bought me a road bike and started to go out on sundays with a group that did half a metric century every week. When all this process started my weight was almost 260 pounds. Last year at the beginning of the year I finally broke the 200 barrier, at 194 pounds. Today Im 220, after a year of not being so careful with my exercise or my diet. In any case, I still ride my bicycle almost anywhere, I still do my sunday outings, and I try to do 4 days a week of 1 hr recovery zone bicycle in the mornings. Just recently I started to swim, maybe 3 or 4 days a week, for an hour. Again, mainly recovery zone.

Even if today I am not THAT much thinner, we were talking 260 pounds of almost no muscle and a lousy cardiovascular ability. Today I can do a century with 2,000 meters of elevation. Today I can swim non stop for an hour. Today I feel really well every day. I have high blood pressure and a family of people that die out of heart attacks on a sistematic basis (italian heritage I guess). My father has 3 bypasses. I want to change the tune. Daily exercise changes your life, and of course it changes your diving. I am planning on going to Utila for 5 to 6 weeks to do a DM. I have been trying to get in better shape to beat my current 10 minutes to do the 400m swim.

The only thing I can say is that you need to find what works for you. Maybe its a gym, maybe a swimming pool, maybe a bike, maybe walking. Keep trying until you find what works for you. I did, fortunately, and today I am a very happy camper.

I was 17 and healthy when I first started diving with my Dad. In my early 20 I went on meds that made me gain weight like crazy. I gained 70 pounds in 9 months and it completely changed my life. I didn't dive. Back then there was just no gear for someone that size. After going through another weight gain 3 years ago also related to steroid meds, I had weight loss surgery. I was about 300 pounds at the time and I could barely move. My asthma was completely out of control. One of the things I could not wait to rediscover when I lost the weight was diving. When I finally got back in the water, about a year ago ( at 130 pounds), it was like I never left the water. More than that, with the extreme weight loss, I no longer have asthma, and my physical ability is no comparison.

I was in Bonaire this past February and was at a big dive resort with all sizes of divers. There were some people on the boat that I was concerned about. I would not have wanted to have them as my dive buddy. I say this coming from that place and knowing how different one's ability is at a normal BMI versus being morbidly obese. It might be comfortable to be at neutral buoyancy and have relief from gravity, but that does not mean that diving is not physically stressful on the body. If you have trouble hauling your own gear, how are you going to help out your buddy if there is a problem. On top of that, gearing up and getting in the water can not be easy at that size. When you are holding so much adipose tissue in your chest cavity and around your heart, things that a normal sized individual might not think of as stressful, DO stress both your heart and your lungs.

When we get in the water with our buddy, we have to be confident in our ability to react in a situation and theirs as well. Physical ability is important. I would say it is as important to stay fit as it is to be on top of safety procedures. I would not go in the water if I had a condition that would put my buddy at risk, and this is no different. I do not mean simply being overweight. BMI is key, and trust me for all those who claim it means nothing because it does not account for muscle mass, most people with a BMI over 35 are not gym rats, because you can't be. I couldn't even though I tried, I suffered injury often when I tried to become active at that kind of weight. Just hauling your gear, it would be very easy to twist an ankle, you are just carrying too much weight for your body to handle it safely.

Please, if you might be in this category, get healthy any way you can. You will save your own life, and one day you might be able to save someone else's.

Sometimes it just annoys me that people won't agree to disagree, especially when they get on a soap box. While your statistics are accurate, from what I can tell, I disagree completely with your analysis of those statistics. If you are overweight and out of shape you have a higher risk of fatality from walking to the fridge to get another soda too.

That said, fitness is always a good thing.

A person would have to be in pretty rotten shape to have a heart attack brought on by jumping off a boat and swimming around for a few minutes. This type person should limit their activities to watching TV. I'm 71 and don't want to relate all the stuff wrong with my health which includes heart rythum problems, a bout with cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, athletes feet and bad breath but my diving activities aren't compromised by any of these and other disorders which I am afflicted with. I figure that if you can walk a quarter mile without falling to the ground in agony it's a go for diving. If not just be a bubble watcher and enjoy the boat ride and sunshine.

It depends on where you dive. We recently had two fatalities here in Puget Sound on the same day. Both were middle-aged men, and both died of heart attacks. The incidents occurred at different dive sites ... roughly 10 miles apart ... and within two hours of each other. Significantly, they both occurred at a time when there was a large ebb tide ... about 12 feet ... with current running significantly stronger than normal.

One should never underestimate the power of moving water ... and in cold environs where divers are dressed in heavy wetsuits or drysuits with heavy undergarments and all the corresponding weight required because of that exposure protection, diving can be quite strenuous if you need to get back to a specific point (as in, shore diving).

I am 59 years old, and although I'm significantly overweight (5'9", 240 lbs) I work out for roughly an hour almost every day. My typical regimen involves about a half hour of weightlifting, followed by 30-40 minutes of cardio activity using an ellipical, treadmill, bike, or stairmaster depending on the day. Recently I've also started working kettlebells into my routine because they're a very dynamic way to mix strength, cardio and flexibility training.

Based on that, I can tell you that there are days and dives where 30 minutes in the water can be as strenuous as 30 minutes at one of my workouts.

Always respect the potential for current ... and plan your dives according to your ability to deal with it. Those who underestimate the former or overestimate the latter can find themselves in a very bad place when your heart decides it can't deal with the stresses you're subjecting it to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom