Are you comfortable mid-water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last night I did a practice dive with three really talented divers (I was the newbie on the dive, for instance, this was the first dive where I actually successfully exectuted a back kick . . . and I only have around 90 dives). We spent the entire dive between 40 fsw and the surface practicing ascents and such. It was dark, and vis would have been about 15 feet at best anyways.

For me, mid-water work is something I've been exposed to, but I clearly need to work on it more. I had my moments of success: shot a bag from 40 feet (success!)--which went well until about 20 feet when I started asking myself "hmmmm, why is there so much slack in my line, did my bag sink . . . " (no dummy, not the bag sinking, you are ascending, oops, there is a big failure).

Our second ascent went better, I managed to hang at 20 feet for 8 minutes with only minor swimming to reposition myself at times. The rest of the crew was doing valve drills, OOAs, and generally hamming it up and having a good time. I had decided to really focus on buoyancy control, trim, and generally being quiet in the water-- I'm taking baby steps to build a solid platform in mid-water.

Afterwards, a friend sent me an email on a related topic, discussing a recent death here that was arguably the result of a failure to successfully execute a mid-water air share. This got me thinking that mid-water skills are not just something for tech divers, but are useful skills for all of us to have. That made me ask myself the question of how comfortable I am mid-water. I can execute ascents, and air shares generally go fine, but I'm committed to really hone these skills. I want to get SOLID mid-water. Lots of practice ahead of me.

So, I thought I'd toss these questions out there (because these are the questions I asked myself):

1) Where are mid-water skills in terms of priorities for you?

2) Where are you in terms of your skills?

I think these can be easily overlooked, and last night's I was reminded that there is a HUGE difference between doing skills in sight of the bottom and doing them without visual references (I, for one, was in love with the bolt snap tied to the line at 20 feet).

[final note: I came away from last night loving diving, but that is related to the Type A in me that loves challenges-in a weird way this was the most fun I've had on a dive in a long time]

All depends on the depth. If I'm blue water diving in the deepest depths of the San Pedro Channel (3,500 ft), I'd be very uncomfortable at "mid-depths." In water shallower than 200 ft I'm fine.

As a videographer, I tend to spend a lot of time on the bottom... often 90% of the dive if I'm just meandering along the rocky reefs. I over weight myself intentionally to remain stable as I film due to the surge that is often present. Despite over weighting, I have little trouble mid-water unless I'm filming a subject (hard to assess my vertical drift while I'm filming... unless my dive computer starts beeping).

Well Doug, you KNOW where my mid-water priorities are ... :D

Anytime you feel like practicing ... I've got a dive for you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Anytime you feel like practicing ... I've got a dive for you ...

Yeah, that mid-water nav dive was definitely in my thoughts last night. Good stuff.

I'm tossing out the idea of a regular mid-water practice session with Lynne and some others, so plan on it if you are interested in joining. This stuff is just plain fun (because it is so challenging).

Dr. Bill:

Thanks for the videographer's take on things, your's is a very interesting perspective.

Better than some - not as good as others - but I keep practicing!

Dave

dsteding:
Yeah, that mid-water nav dive was definitely in my thoughts last night. Good stuff.

I'm tossing out the idea of a regular mid-water practice session with Lynne and some others, so plan on it if you are interested in joining. This stuff is just plain fun (because it is so challenging).
I'm looking for a volunteer to buddy with a student on that dive on March 03 ... interested?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm looking for a volunteer to buddy with a student on that dive on March 03 ... interested?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sure, sign me up. Maybe we can get Lynne to come along and observe . . .

Air sharing Should be #1 on that list.
Its where most people I have worked with have problems.

By doing air sharing drills from say 40 to 20 feet,in a wetsuit, you will be working on those midwater bouyancy skills too, while under duress.
When you feel comforatable doing this add in mask removal and replacement.

Once you get that air share/bouyancy/mask down it's time to start working on that dreaded mid-water compass nav pattern.

An helpfull tool is a wrist mount depthgauge/computer as it helps by giving you that (false) visual reference. I wear mine on the inside of my wrist so it is easy to see.

For myself its like being an otter, comfortable any where in the water.

It is a little unnerving to be floating at 70ft when you know you have 2600 more to go (hummmmm what could be down there)

drbill:
All depends on the depth. If I'm blue water diving in the deepest depths of the San Pedro Channel (3,500 ft), I'd be very uncomfortable at "mid-depths." In water shallower than 200 ft I'm fine.

As a videographer, I tend to spend a lot of time on the bottom... I over weight myself intentionally
I see why you're not confortable in 3500 ft of water:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I've been doing/practicing about everything you can think of midwater for a long time. But...there have still been times when midwater with no reference that I felt disoriented. It seems like just the right set of conditions can just play optical tricks on me and I don't see any reason to think that it can't happen again so I look for chances or excuses to practice stuff midwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom