Are you comfortable mid-water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
It seems like just the right set of conditions can just play optical tricks on me and I don't see any reason to think that it can't happen again so I look for chances or excuses to practice stuff midwater.

Interesting, I think comfort in this case can only come from time spent midwater. In the past year, I've probably logged 100 hours underwater, but only--maybe--3 of those were spent in true midwater situations (i.e., no bottom in sight) and most of that is in small chunks on ascent or descent. I think that ratio needs to change.

MikeFerrara:
I've been doing/practicing about everything you can think of midwater for a long time. But...there have still been times when midwater with no reference that I felt disoriented. It seems like just the right set of conditions can just play optical tricks on me and I don't see any reason to think that it can't happen again so I look for chances or excuses to practice stuff midwater.
I was in blue water once and I lost the boat- it was so disorienting, that I had to use the compass to make sure that I had turned completely around to look for the boat. I coudln't tell how fast or far I was turning without it. Other than being lost, it was a wonderfully sublime experience.

Trying to practise time to time. Ok (not perfect) with a computer depth reading, trying to learn it with my ears only (have very sensitive ears).

You can see some pretty cool stuff out there in the Blue Water.

One of my favorite dives was in 60ft off of Bimini, I took a compass heading on the wall turned around and started swimmin for about 5min. I was just deep enough to barely see the surface but no bottom or sides when along came a shool of Blue Runners that took 10 min to pass and all the jellyfish like animals that I saw.
I would like to have had Dr. Bill with me to tell me what I was looking at.
One of the things looked like a string of little blocks the size of pencil erasers about 10 feet long.

I spend and have spent quit a bit of time midwater. I don't know how else to explain it.
It doesn't usually happen when there is no reference at all as much as when there is a optically confising reference. When it happens, I usually just pick one focal point until my head catches up with what all my sensory inputs are telling me. Make any sense?

do it easy:
... it was a wonderfully sublime experience.
One of my earliest mid-water experiences was diving the wall at Hornby Island looking for six-gills. A few times I found myself out over the wall at 100+ feet, shining my light down into the blackness below me (the bottom was probably 100 feet or more below me) ... I guess "sublime" would be a good way to describe the feeling. Of course, I was pretty narced at the time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
One of my earliest mid-water experiences was diving the wall at Hornby Island looking for six-gills. A few times I found myself out over the wall at 100+ feet, shining my light down into the blackness below me (the bottom was probably 100 feet or more below me) ... I guess "sublime" would be a good way to describe the feeling. Of course, I was pretty narced at the time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Looking for Sixgills here at Cove 2 is a practical application for mid-water diving. When viz is poor but you are looking for Sixgills you can't maintain sight of the bottom or you will be too low to see a Sixgill if one does come by.

It sounds like this scenario is a practical application of your AOW mid-water navigation skills test.

If your buoyancy control is good enough to stay off the bottom, at say 5’, then mid water will not be a problem. The only difference is you don’t have a reference point to look at.

To combat no reference point, look at your gauges or listen to your body. Your ears will speak volumes as to, am I going up or down.

Mid water stuff is more of a mind game than anything. Look at it like a pilot or IFR.

You don’t want to be very heavy when there is 7.5 miles of water under you. :D

Gary D.

I'm pretty comfortable mid-water, with all of my skills. My first dives after OW/AOW, were wall/drift dives in Cozumel. In 3000+fsw there's no "bottom" to go to, to get straightened out, if something happens. (Well, there is, but you'll end up flat as a pancake..) LOL

I think the secret is proper weighting. If I'm fighting to stay down during my safety stop due to being underweighted, that's when I have the toughest time.

Gary D.:
You don’t want to be very heavy when there is 7.5 miles of water under you. :D

i bet the narcosis feels real good after, say, the first two miles ...

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom