• None of your darned business

Votes: 41 10.9%
  • Guess, you might just make my day

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Shhh...Big Brother is watching!

Votes: 43 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some articles from my local rag:
Miramar murders: Multiple slaying victims found in house in Miramar -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Miramar police identify two victims in triple-slaying at house

Davie pool hall shooting: Pembroke Pines man denied bail in fatal shooting Monday morning -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Bail denied for man accused in fatal Davie pool hall shooting

Dunkin' Donuts customers shot in robberies in Delray Beach and Tamarac
Dunkin' Donuts robbed, customer shot in Tamarac a day after Delray shooting

Sorry to hear about the situation in your neighborhood. The town I grew up in had its last 'gun-incident' in 1977...and that involved 2 hunters and too much too drink. Yet, we still have guns in almost every house. How can that be? Perhaps it is the type of weapon permitted. I am free to own a firearm (certain legalities permitting - such as a criminal record or mental instability). What creates two different situations between you and I? Answer that....

Maybe as an 'outsider'/non-American (look North and you'll get there), I can't see why there is such fervor to maintain access to assault-style weapons.

"assault weapons" is a term that's been blown our of proportion by the liberal anti gun media.

They also like to overuse the term "semi-automatic weapon". why? because it's hard to buy a pistol that is not semi-automatic now days.

It's not like a majority of the pistols made today are the "single action" that must be cocked before firing each time like in the "old westerns"

the above reference of the Ruger 10/22 is a perfect example. this is a gun that a lot of us grew up learning to shoot with. But it's not an "assault weapon" even if the action works the same as a AR-15 which. No different than a semi automatic hunting rifle.

Since you referenced being Canadian, it reminds me of a Canadian friend that came to town. I picked him up at the airport. As we were driving along, he asked about the fact that he didn't see guns hanging in the back of every pickup-truck window. He was under the impression that we all rode around with guns in our truck windows :D

I don't think the government really wants to take your guns away maybe with the exception of assault rifles and the like.

I'd love to own an assault rifle. Sadly I cannot afford one so I am limited to an AR15.
Meanwhile, the gubmint does in fact intend to take away all of the guns; by banning then confiscating one "bad gun" at a time.

Yes, I have two arms... a left and a right. And they used to hold one of my four weapons until 1975 when I got rid of them all. I have no problem with others having arms (or legs). Guns are a tool and when used properly can be of great help in a wide variety of ways... as long as you aren't invading someone else's house, robbing banks or the like.

Sorry to hear about the situation in your neighborhood. The town I grew up in had its last 'gun-incident' in 1977...and that involved 2 hunters and too much too drink. Yet, we still have guns in almost every house. How can that be? Perhaps it is the type of weapon permitted. I am free to own a firearm (certain legalities permitting - such as a criminal record or mental instability). What creates two different situations between you and I? Answer that....

That is a question for the ages. I personally believe it has to do with the diminishing amount of personal responsibility and respect.

But all those crimes were committed by those whose guns were obtained illegally (except possibly the drunken brawl.) That is no mental health check, no background check etc. Several by violent gang members looking to "have some fun" or as some kind of initiation as in the doughnut shop.

divingbuddy sorry about the yellow comment, it was intended to get someone who disagreed to invoke some decent and polite discussions, not to personally insult anyone, and I guess the observation of the coincidence of that particular color was too hard to resist. Please accept my apology.

I suppose now the mission is accomplished and while there are disagreements here, everyone is engaged in a polite responsible discussion. My argument FOR guns for US citizens, and the "peoples" militia, is that it does serve as the ultimate form of Détente or preventative measure to keep our government in check. What any other countries people choose to do with gun control is their own issue.

Hunting, and sporting is a nice benefit to responsible gun ownership, however it was not the intent of OUR (USA) founding fathers, who were, and are to this day some of the most amazing group of men of any time in history. If we carefully study these characters, there is a lot we should learn, and we must remember, from where the country was born, and what free men carefully debated and created, the most free nation in the world, not perfect, but the groundwork has been set, and most feel strongly (by show of votes) that we want to keep our options open, and always remain free.

Unfortunately society and life in this century creates situations where a few bad eggs make a bad name for the 99.9% of responsible gun owners (not sportsman) do damage and attempt to ruin it for the rest of us. You cannot have any government regulation of gun ownership and still maintain the spirit of our founding fathers intent. That's my opinion, and certainly I respect, and would encourage you to have your own, even if we do not agree. I hope I have kept it short, and worded things correctly.

1) Both my Ruger 10/22 and Mini 14 are semi automatic rifles with a 10 round and 5 round clip, respectively. Both "legitimate" sporting rifles, EXCEPT that in many states and cities they are labeled ASSAULT RIFLES, because they are capable of holding higher capacity clips.
I am sorry, a 50 cal machine gun, a rocket launcher or an Apache helicopter are assault weapons, but my 22 or 2.23 guns are not weapons one would chose to launch an assault on an armed enemy with, which is what is meant by assault weapons!

2) I am an American. My people are both original native and immigrants, coming here beginning in the mid 1600's. My ancestors learned to hold all governments at arms length, and to hold their rights dear. ALL rights. My ancestors have fought and often died in almost every war ever fought in or by this nation, to preserve those rights for all of us.

3) I am tired of listening to my well meaning, but extremely naive fellow citizens agreeing to let any government trample any one of my rights, because a few other citizens have abused those rights! It is very similar to silencing every one of us because somewhere some hot head has gotten on a soap box and spouted damaging words! If you do not wish to own a gun, I will never encourage our government to force you to own one. I won't even support a compromise, and only force you to own a small one!

I will return to the words and thinking of our founding fathers. When the alarm sounds, every able bodied citizen from farmer to shop keeper is expected to respond with what ever weapons are at his disposal to defend his community or his neighbor. That is the militia, as seen it in the Second amendment.

"...,the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The entire amendment is only 27 words long, and yet it has become fashionable to redefine the first 13 words, in order to ignore the last 14!

Back
Top Bottom