Are Weight Belts Obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
It doesn't start out exposed but once it's brushed by an arm or a piece of gear it is exposed. It doesn't have to start out dirty either. Velcro just isn't a good choice for a connection like that. Kepping weights at depth is just too critical with the possible results of losing them too severe.
On the BCDs ive seen they wont get exposed if brushed by anything.. The velcro has always been INSIDE the pocket with no part of the pouch sticking out of the pocket, except from the dump handle, which you need to pull with some more than "accidental force" to release it..
Of course, if you get entangled..

Matt S.:
Here's another vote for a rubber belt. I decided to try one after reading testimonials here and it's very nice.

My LDS looked at me like I was insane when I asked for it though.

Rubber belts are known to fail. A nick in the rubber can grow rapidly. So when is someone going to back the rubber up with a fabric of some kind? or just put a stretchy part into a weight belt? Yes, I do know about the depth compensating buckles.

Rubber belts work really well when freediving cause they stay in place, unlike a harness, and if they do fail, you are headed to the surface to breath anyhow.

I totally dissagree.

weight integrated bc's are nice and all but i would never put all of my eggs in one basket. Ie all of my weight in my bc.

I personally want to beable to sink or atleast be neutrally bouyant with no bc on. If for some reason i get caught up real bad and i cant get out and I have to leave my bc i dont want a uncontrolled accent to the surface. I can have a controled swim to the surface then ditch my belt to stay afloat easier.

I rather not get bent and have to leave my gear at the bottle on the same dive. :) well i rather not have to experiance either.

It's a ridiculous statement. Some folks like weight integrated. They should use it. Some us us dislike weight integrated. Weightbelts are far superior to weight integrated IMO and when I need to carry lead, I'll use a belt.

If you get entangled and need to "leave your BC" you can still simply pull the weight pouches out of the BC and still have the weight you need. Simple enough to drop the pouches when you finish your controlled ascent. Also, if you are so entangled that you need to leave your BC what makes you think you won't have to ditch your weight belt becasue it's entangled. Just an opinion.

True story concerning weight belt: Wife and I completed wreck dive of 100 ft. We staged our ascent. Our plan was to stop at 30 ft for a couple minutes before the stop at 15 ft. We had some current and her torso was blown over the line popping the buckle on her belt. Lost all her weight. My point is that weight belt or intergrated BC, you can find many arguments for and against each point. There is no perfect scenario.

The pouches on my integrated BC are clipped on the inside (no velcro). I also like the fact that I can dump half (left or right pouch) of my weight, or all of it. I can't think of a situation at this moment why you would need to dump only half, but it's interesting that I have that option. Finally, I prefer to have as little as possible strapped to my body. With my Air 2 and inter. BC, I have eliminated an octo (and hose) and the weight belt. After years of strapping on this and that, there seems to be movement to reducing as much needed gear as safely possible.

I'll keep my weight belt thanks! It is not obsolete. In fact, its much more comfortable to wear soft weights in a belt on the waist than that time I put the old skool hard weights on my crotch strap and did a giant stride off the boat. Yup, that one made the log book as "Don't do this again!"

Peter_C:
Rubber belts are known to fail. A nick in the rubber can grow rapidly. So when is someone going to back the rubber up with a fabric of some kind? or just put a stretchy part into a weight belt? Yes, I do know about the depth compensating buckles.

Rubber belts work really well when freediving cause they stay in place, unlike a harness, and if they do fail, you are headed to the surface to breath anyhow.

Scubapro has a "depth compensating" belt ..Belt came out ages ago,been around at least 30 years..has surgical tubing on back of belt that stretches..works great.

oly5050user:
Scubapro has a "depth compensating" belt ..Belt came out ages ago,been around at least 30 years..has surgical tubing on back of belt that stretches..works great.

Is this still made? That sounds like just the ticket! Although I looked and did not see it available on Uwatec's website or any other retailer.

CBulla:
I'll keep my weight belt thanks! It is not obsolete. In fact, its much more comfortable to wear soft weights in a belt on the waist than that time I put the old skool hard weights on my crotch strap and did a giant stride off the boat. Yup, that one made the log book as "Don't do this again!"

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom