Are Weight Belts Obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
From another thread:
Web Monkey:
Weight belts are an idea who's time has come and gone. Except that they're cheap, they should have been replaced by Weight Integrated BCs or harnesses long ago.
Agree or disagree?

Very interesting question to pose. I personally think that statement to be true in alot of ways. Weight belts have the ability to move and shift during dives, especially on a deeper dive with a diver in a wetsuit. They serve the purpose of keeping a diver down, but they cannot be relied on for trim everytime you go down.

I use a harness, and I love it. My weight stays exactly where I put it, and I honestly hardly feel that I am wearing weights. Its also easier walking to the dive site. I hated trying to get a weightbelt tight enough, just to have it almost fall off walking to the entry. Not a problem with the harness.

I doubt the belts will ever be 'obsolete,' but they can definately be replaced by better technology. They are simple though, and practically fool proof in operation, so there is definately still a place for them,especially for training.

Diving cold, there is an absolute need for a belt. There is no way you can cram all the weight needed to sink a drysuit + thick hood/gloves into an integrated BC. Even if you can/could, the BC would become incredibly unwieldy/hard to don. Not to mention, I feel like having weight in several places helps with trim.

As far as keeping the belt on...I've never had an issue with a softbelt sitting squarely on my hips.

Cheers,
Austin

utdivermatt:
Weight belts have the ability to move and shift during dives, especially on a deeper dive with a diver in a wetsuit.
Weights on the belt must be locked into place to prevent movement, and all the weights should be put towards the front part of the belt, evenly distributed on each side as much as possible. This helps promote good trim instead of randomly having weights all over the belt.

utdivermatt:
Its also easier walking to the dive site. I hated trying to get a weightbelt tight enough, just to have it almost fall off walking to the entry. Not a problem with the harness.
This means that you weren't using the weight belt properly. The best way to put on a weight belt is for you to bend over at the waist while standing up and put it on. It must go over your body above your hips, or it will most likely slide off while walking, like yours. It needs to be snug, obviously.
After you get it on properly and it's snug, when you drop down in the water, cinch up the weight belt to adjust for wetsuit compression.

Personally I think weight belts, while I might hate them, are the best option if you need them. I believe integrated weights and all other weird harnesses/contraptions are...useless.

In scuba diving? Maybe, though they are still used in a number of situations. Also, don't forget snorkeling or skin diving, where they are standard gear in many cases.

I changed from weight integrated to a BP/W with a weight belt. Hiking to a dive site with all the weight on my shoulders is too much. When backpacking, I carry 60% on my hips, so why should I carry all the weight, when scuba diving, on my shoulders? I even tried a DUI harness and it was no better than the weight integrated. The Sea Soft weight belt is very comfortable, and does not slip off. I would say it is probably more secure than the plastic/velcro retainers on any integrated BC.

3-Ring Octopus:
Diving cold, there is an absolute need for a belt.
While I agree with you that weight-integrated BCs suck, I disagree with the above statement. It isn't true 100% of the time. There are plenty of divers who dive in cold water without the need for a weight belt--heavy steel tanks, backplate, etc.
For most divers, they definitely need something extra. But, it isn't an absolute. :)

3-Ring Octopus:
There is no way you can cram all the weight needed to sink a drysuit + thick hood/gloves into an integrated BC.

Absolutely right....

But some nice steel doubles would go a long way to dropping some weight out of it.

I wasnt trying to say there was no place for a weight belt, just that I dont think I need it for me (should have been clearer). A single steel 104 is enough to sink me in a heavy wetsuit and aluminum backplate. I plan to go to doubles soon and hopefully never wear any form of lead again.

I agree though there are some aspects that will probably always need lead. After trying both, I would not trade my harness for a belt.

Disagree......

I've used both regular BC's and weight integrated BC's. I like the simplicity of the weight belt. If you use soft weights and a belt with individualized pockets, there is less movement and it's comfortable.

A basic BC can be had for under $200 with all the necessary D rings, pockets, zippers etc. Why spend $400-500 on a BC?

After a dive, I leave my weight belt in my truck and take my light weight BC and gear in the house.

Back
Top Bottom