Are Weight Belts Obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C:
Is this still made? That sounds like just the ticket! Although I looked and did not see it available on Uwatec's website or any other retailer.
pretty sure it
used to called a "jet belt".

Kim:
Disagree......
I agree with Kim :D
Actually I need to obtain a weight belt, I need 4 more pounds than my BC will hold to dive with my dry suit.

jim T.:
Suspenders can be added to a standard weight belt. I'd like to hear reports from users.

I use a weight belt with the zippered pockets for weights, and a pair of toolbelt suspenders if I'm diving a drysuit. Sometimes, if I'm diving a quarry and don't feel like fooling with altering what I've got in my weight pockets, I'll don the weight belt, too.

With the drysuit, I configure my weight thus:
6 lbs in non-ditchable weight
10 lbs in weight pouches
12 lbs on weight belt

The beanbag/shot weights in concert with the pocketed/zippered weight belt is very comfortable. (and will help you avoid deep pain, such as Colin [CBulla] experienced) LOL

Fish_Whisperer:
The beanbag/shot weights in concert with the pocketed/zippered weight belt is very comfortable. (and will help you avoid deep pain, such as Colin [CBulla] experienced) LOL

Counter balance goes on the back of the mask strap... lets not go there..

3-Ring Octopus:
Diving cold, there is an absolute need for a belt. There is no way you can cram all the weight needed to sink a drysuit + thick hood/gloves into an integrated BC. Even if you can/could, the BC would become incredibly unwieldy/hard to don. Not to mention, I feel like having weight in several places helps with trim.

As far as keeping the belt on...I've never had an issue with a softbelt sitting squarely on my hips.

Cheers,
Austin

Huh? I live in LaPine, Oregon(30miles S. of Bend) And have never had an issue findig a place for weight. I dive the Ore coast aquarium(water usually 48-52* F, cold enough?)
I wear a compressed neopreme drysuit(DC) dives last usually last at least 50-60min. so you must be fairly insulated to stay warm. I wear a 15lb belt(not soft) and 7lbs in my BC. I can dive in 20lbs normally, but while I'm working, I like a couple of extra pounds to help with bouyancy while working (sometimes on a tough job you will work yourself up,hence lung pump.+ bouyancy) In the fresh water of our high lakes(38-45* F) I wear a 10lb belt/7BC. I realize this is not normal for most people, but, I believe most people are severely overweighted. Yes, you should be able to make a safety stop at 15', it doesn't say you need to be buried into the bottom. I use both systems for the fact, a 2" belt and 10lbs is cheaper than the weight pocket of your BC alone. If, for some reason you need too, you can shed 10lbs, and that should do! So, as far as do I agree/disagree? DISAGREE, I believe weight have there place.

slightly less painful to sit on as well. MUCH easier to let drop away whenin a belt to.

Of course, I did watch NetDoc pull the rip cord on a BC with the nice lace in thingybob on the 'ditchable' part... 90 minutes later after relacing the BC together... :)

I am getting the weights that look like bullets, more comfy.

I find its good even while using integrated weights to use a weight belt as well, gives me a better center of gravity under water, not a train smash if I lose a pocket and should I find the need to remove my rig to fit through some fun tight squeese I wont have to worry about floating off.

catherine96821:
I am getting the weights that look like bullets, more comfy.
I've never tried the weights that look like bullets, but the weights that look like they'll end up in shotgun shells are certainly much more comfy than the weights that look like claymores, which are in turn more comfy than the weights that look like unopened blocks of plastic explosives. Of course, the STA weights that look like shaped charges are, perhaps, even more comfortable, but I'll refrain from considering the comfort of backplates and DSS weight plates, as those are, obviously, purely defensive armor and not properly weaponized. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom