Are Weight Belts Obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Threads like this one are always entertaining ... I just love watching people rationalize why their gear choices are "the best" ... :D

Fact is that, like every piece of scuba gear, any choice you make for how you wear your weights comes with advantages and drawbacks ... and "the best" one for you is the one that best suits your diving configuration, budget, and personal preferences.

Of course weight belts are not obsolete. Many of us choose not to dive with weight pockets attached to our rig ... and while weight harnesses, like the DUI weight'n'trim ... are nice, they are more expensive than some other options and often don't provide the user with any particular advantages.

I don't, personally, like integrated weight systems. The major reason is because I often find weight pockets while diving ... and that means that someone lost them while on a dive. Losing weight while diving isn't an optimal situation under any circumstances. In fact, one of the exercises in my AOW class is to "lose" a weight pouch and let the students use a search pattern to find it. In a recent class, they came back with two ... :wink:

I personally use an XS-Scuba weight belt with individual pouches, and soft weights. It's comfortable, has never slipped, and is the least expensive option that I could use to do the job without any issues. Integrated weights didn't suit my style of diving, and a weight harness didn't offer any advantages for the extra cost.

Until something comes along that does the same job for less money, the weight belt will never be obsolete.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DSCF0277.jpg

Tekna weight belt buckle with spring expander, I think I got those weights in Fort Lauderdale circa 1982 or so. Behind it is the sleek and hardly obsolete brand new from www.pacificcoastmarine.net backplate. It is a streamlined singles back plate that I look forward to trying out this season with both the Mach V wing and SeaTec horsecollar BC.

N

Losing weight pockets sounds like user error rather than gear error to me.. All the people ive been diving with has used BCD with integrated weights and none have just "lost their weight pockets"..
Ok, you might say that I dont have many dives and i dont, but if you look at the number of people ive been in the water with, its still a matter of ~150 dives ive observed first hand (and been part of) with bcd with integrated weights and no issues (caused by the weight system)..
I wouldnt want to be sloppy with the insertion of the weight pockets tho, since they WILL come out easilly if you dont use the attachment systems correctly..

I use weight integrated BCD, but I'm also aware of some of the disadvantages.

One that is easy to overlook is that when you are neutral in the water column and remove your BCD, you will quickly find that you + wetsuit are positively buoyant and the BCD with weights is negatively buoyant. With a 3/2mm suit, it's a total non-issue. With a 5mm it makes ditch and don a bit harder. Were I diving with 7mm or double 7mm I'd definitely move some of the weight onto me and the wetsuit with a weightbelt.

NWGratefulDiver:
... The major reason is because I often find weight pockets while diving ... and that means that someone lost them while on a dive. Losing weight while diving isn't an optimal situation under any circumstances. .../QUOTE]

Bob: I got more concerned finding a 30 lb (!) seasoft belt at 60 fsw.

Someone didn't have a good dive that day... but had no problem floating after. :11:

Peter_C: Dude, use whatever you like. If you think weightbelts are superior, all the power to you. But it not just _me_ it's everyone that I dive with regularly. Go be the weightbelt advocate.

Nemrod:
DSCF0277.jpg

Behind it is the sleek and hardly obsolete brand new from www.pacificcoastmarine.net backplate. It is a streamlined singles back plate that I look forward to trying out this season with both the Mach V wing and SeaTec horsecollar BC.

N

Nice plate! That is Eric's new one, built specifically for the Mach V wing. Very minimalistic. I have one of the original Freedom plates, and am very happy with it. Seems most of us in Da' Club, use Eric's plate. That would be www.northcoastdivers.org club.

front_of_back_plate_636.jpg

Haines777, BP/W stands for "Back Plate and Wing" See pictures above for the plates, that the wings attach too. The wing being the part that inflates.

Jeckyll, Bro did I touch a nerve? No where was I advocating anything one way or another. I stated my reasons for using a particular setup. Try opening your mind a little and you will see there are options in the world, other than black or white...or is there only white?

Haines77, sorry, BP/wing is just short hand for a back plate and a wing. A wing is the donut shaped type of bouyancy compensator that attaches to the back plate and somewhat encircles the tank.

DSCF0274.jpg

DSCF0264.jpg

The pics show a wing attached to a back plate. This type of rig genrally requires the use of a weight belt being as it is not weight integrated. The modular system can be quickly adapted from a single to a double tank or the wing removed and dived with a horsecollar BC or no BC at all. Here is a horsecollar type BC.

DSCF0195.jpg

The weight belt and wing/BP allow for a modular and highly adaptable system and is often the preferred type of rig by many (most) tech or serious divers.

Each to their own, there is no one best way but for the way that is best for you.

N

with wieght intergraded bcds.. i find that in cold water with a drysuit you need more weight then the bcd can hold... i turns out that most of them can only carry a maxium of 20 pounds in each poutch meaning if you dive dry and i need 45 pounds... it cant possably hold enoff weights..

jim T.:
Suspenders can be added to a standard weight belt. I'd like to hear reports from users.

The suspenders I've seen seemed somewhat dangerous to me, in that they add 2 more buckles that need to be released to drop your belt AND puts those buckles under your BC so they're a pain to get to.

When I dive cold, I'm currently using both my integrated BC pockets and a DUI weight harness. When I travel someplace warm, I usually just use the BC pockets. If I'm someplace where the gear needs to move a lot, like handing gear up to a boat or the like, the weight pouches get pulled and handled seperately.

Back
Top Bottom