Are Weight Belts Obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Scuba divers would take a lesson from freedivers and use rubber weight belts that automatically compensate for wetsuit compression and prevent sliding and slipping, then most of the complaints about weight belts would disappear. Maybe DIR will someday take a critical look at the weight belt and come to the obvious conclusion that a black rubber weight belt is clearly superior. They seem to agonize over the smallest details and then, in my opinion, fail to address an inferior piece of gear which has the potential to really cause problems if it is uncomfortable, too loose, falls off or rotates. I've not yet seen someone who has tried a rubber belt, go back to a nylon belt again. The depth compensating (spring -loaded) buckles don't provide enough tension and they lack the rubber which seems to slide less than nylon.

I have nice one of those sea soft, belts with 16 lbs of shot weight (found it years ago), if any one likes those things, I will sell it for cheap (although I wonder what shipping of 16 lbs of lead would cost). I really don't need it in my garage anymore... $15 plus shipping?

Nemrod:
Nitrox aside, the superior, modular, flexible and multi purpose wing/BP/weight belt will rise up to slay the puffy, cumberbund integrated weight BC units. They simply are unsuited for anything beyond limited recreational, tropical diving.

So the real question is will the wing/BP/weight belt relegate the integrated, expensive BC units to the dust bin of history? N
Nice mask you have. Isn't it obsolete yet?

In warmer water dives weight belts rule - its nice to be able to take off your rig and remain neutrally buoyant. Useful if you are inside a wreak, and allows all sort of antics on the safety stop…

For dry suit dives I use a backplate, weight pockets on the tank band and a weight belt – no one system is going to hold and more important distribute the weight in a way to provide trim and some degree of comfort.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I have to say I dive integrated and will never go back. I had more trouble with those POS soft weights falling out of the belt. This happened to me during my training dives 2X and I had to fin downwards to keep myself from corking to the surface. My integrated weights have never given me a bit of trouble. When in the Bahamas last year I had to be picked up by a tender when our boats mooring broke. I just handed up my weight pockets, then my BCD. No problems. If I ever decided overhead environments are for me (not gonna happen) then I will gladly trade in my weight integration and my inflator/air source. Until then, it's weight integration all the way. Do some of you all on this board think that one way/system will work for everyone? It takes all kinds.......

Rick Inman:
From another thread: Agree or disagree?

Rick; of course a weight belt is not obsolete. You know this.

Rescue divers, resort divers, rec. divers, and most divers can/will still use a weight belt. I like some weight on the tank, some in the BC, and some on the belt, nice balance, lots of options. I do not think the weight belt is going away any time soon.

I would probably need a weight belt only if diving al80's in my 7mm in salt water.

With my steel 119, yup...obsolete!

Quote laurelgsc:

"Do some of you all on this board think that one way/system will work for everyone?"

Uh, yes, but which system is the question of the day.
N

I like my weight belt, and it certainly makes doff-and-don easier, too. (It fun to watch the occasional integration-induced inversion of someone who needed a lot of lead.)

Nemrod (the dive company) made rubber weight belts. There are still rubber belts available. I have several old Tekna web belts but the metal buckle on them has a built in spring mechanism that allows the buckle to expand and contract to take up slack.

Frankly, I like to wear my belt loose so it rides down on my hip bones like old hippie hugger jeans. I have never had an issue of them falling off. Metal buckles are important, the plastic ones I just don't trust. Weights should be locked in place with metal or plastic keepers so that they remain in desireable position.

N

mdb:
Rick; of course a weight belt is not obsolete. You know this.
:D

Sure I do. But, I'm enjoying the posts. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom