Are Weight Belts Obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucybuykx:
The most I ever dive with is 10kg and to spread that around my waist is bulky and very uncomfortable on my hips. It's even worse at the end of a dive when I need a pee.

With my pocket pouches they go in at the last minute (for shore dives) and come out before exiting the water. Much easier to handle than a belt.

I have heard talk of harnesses being good for positioning but those I have seen don't seem to take in consideration those of us with natural buoyancy on our chests.
I agree, although I don't have to consider the natural buoyancy part. There are some of us who find the weight belt uncomfortable on our hips. The integrated option works well in that case. I have not had a problem diving either wet or dry with getting enough weight into by BCD.

Weight belts are not obsolete. There are options and it is up to the individual to decide.

diving wet with double AL80's I carry a weight belt with a few pounds (the bricks)............... it worked in the past and works now.... simple, can not break and is cheap.

I have seen some of these constraptions and 'secure-integrated-weight-clippie-thingy's' that made me wonder how easy it was to dump..... but each to his/her own right?

Weight belts are not obsolete but there are some alternatives around that some find easier to use

Personally, I think weight integration is easier for most woman. When I wore a weight
belt, the cumberbund of the bc would overlap right over the weight belt, making it not
as easy to release in the event that I would need to. Weight integration has been a much more comfortable improvement for me.

Teach both, wear belt. I liked the hiking back pack example. Spread the load so no one spot is taking it all. Would agree the buttless crowd who suffer belt slippage are probably happier...

Hoa!

Humble older aquaman:
Would agree the buttless crowd who suffer belt slippage are probably happier...

Hoa!
LOL that is funny man

Belts have their place... just not on me... I understand those that prefer them, but I dive dry, single AL80, and have no issue at all putting my 16-20 Lbs of lead (depending on undergarments) in my integrated pockets (including trim pockets). I like the way my BC pockets clip in and out and have had no concern or issue with handing them up on a boat, putting them in, knowing they are secure, etc. being one who has little extra body fat, I find a belt to be positively painful standing and uncomfortable in the water.

Until I consider moving to a BP/wing my belt stays rolled up in a corner of my storage room...

Don't forget that double buckles (one plastic/one metal) can eliminate accidental dumping and allow underwater adjustment with the "bitter end" secured the whole time.

Suspenders can be added to a standard weight belt. I'd like to hear reports from users.
I'm currently using the XS Scuba pocket weight belts so that I can dump incrementally
5lbs. or less at a time should I ever choose to.

I don't agree that soft (continuous als SeaSoft) weight belts always stay on better on everyone. For me they tended to roll
and try to fall down over my hips (and they're not petite hips) while a block weight
belt stays put. It'll vary from person to person. I may consider a DUI harness one day but I like the option of dropping only 5lbs. at a time even if I feel my rig is a balanced one.

Strongly disagree.

I class weight intergrated as dangerous especially if someone carries a lot of lead, for example cold water/drysuit diving.

They arent secure, i see more pouches off those at dive sites dropped than any other bit of kit. You also cant stay down safely if you need to dekit.

Weight harnesses are a nice idea but for most shape people a belt does the job just as well.

Weight belts are here to stay. Weight integrated is just a passing fad for tropical diving only.

String:
Strongly disagree.

I class weight intergrated as dangerous especially if someone carries a lot of lead, for example cold water/drysuit diving.

They arent secure, i see more pouches off those at dive sites dropped than any other bit of kit. You also cant stay down safely if you need to dekit.

Weight harnesses are a nice idea but for most shape people a belt does the job just as well.

Weight belts are here to stay. Weight integrated is just a passing fad for tropical diving only.
And if you use Nitrox, you will die. Another passing fad!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom