Are split fins really that great?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About fifteen years ago I purchased a pair of Dacor Ultras. These are REAL BIG fins, I am 6'5", 260, and need propulsion. The Ultras worked great, except for the comments I recieved from deck hands on dive boats. Last year I purchased a pair of V-12's before going to Cozumel, Mexico. I loved them, even in the strong currents at Palancar. A different kick is needed, but is easy to master. Now 100 dives later I experence less fatigue while doing long swims and would'nt trade them back.

I bought a pair of Apollo Bio-fins after using my older US Divers Blades for several years. I got a great deal on E-Bay and wanted to add them to my fin collection. Although (as expected) I don't get the power from the split fins that I do with the Blades, I do find they are great for diving on the leeward coast of Catalina. I still use my Blades when power is necessarty (currents on the other islands or windward side).

Dr. Bill

My dad loves the split finjs cus his muscles begins to hurt after a while with regular fins and when he switched to split..he was having no problems:D

drbill once bubbled...
I bought a pair of Apollo Bio-fins after using my older US Divers Blades for several years. ......, I do find they are great for diving on the leeward coast of Catalina. I still use my Blades when power is necessarty (currents on the other islands or windward side).
Can anybody explain this "splits don't work well in current" thing? If you can have a higher sustained top speed in splits with no current, why are they not better for finning against a current.

You and your fins should have the same performance whether you are trying to do 3mph through still water, or 3mph against a 2mph current.

I have tried the splits and have noticed that it feels like you have to make several kicks before you accelerate, but I was able to reach and maintain a higher top speed than with paddle fins.

Charlie

p.s. I also use old USD Blades, and the split fin I've tested was the Apollo Bio-fin. Paddle fins are better suited to my dive style, but a lot of comments I see about the split fins seem biased and don't make sense.

zeN|| once bubbled...
What is it with you guys and your jet fins, I even took mine to the pool yesterday to try them again after listening to such high marks on the forum, and they felt like lead weights, like bad shoes on your feet-to each his own scales and fins I guess zeN

I have a pair of Dacor Rockets (the clone of the ScubaPro Jets) that have been in my closet for over a decade...anyone want 'em?

IMO, the reason that the DIR's like the Jets probably has a lot to do with their dive environment. The mass of the fins isn't a big deal when you're scootering, and since they're so darn heavy, they Hogarthiacally allow the elimination of ankle weights :D

-hh

Hi..just thought I'd chime in here..

I have(had) a pair of Atomic Split fins as my first pair of fins when I began diving. I thought they were the be all that ends all in propulsion. Then my dive buddy bought a pair of paddle style fins (I can't remember which ones). On a whim, I gave them a try.

OMG! What a difference! I found I could more easily propel myself with paddle style fins over the split fins!

As soon as I surfaced, I told my dive buddy, "Dude...I need to ditch my splits...these are awesome"

So then I bought a pair of Seaforce fins. Gave them a try. So much better than my $175 pair of Atomics.

I gave my split fins to my girlfriend who loves them. I guess it's the old adage, "to each his own".

--Chris--

Sold - Tusa Expert Zoom

Bought - Mares Volo

No more splits for me. Nice control, easy on the legs - but an uncomforting lack of ability to generate strong power when needed.

you should have tried the Quattro's. I don't like the 'floppy' feel of the Volo's. The Quattro's are a lot more substantial and solid.

I'm getting a set of IDI Power Fins soon - just like the Jet's, but with a larger foot pocket, or so I understand. I hope to report back soon.

I was using Quatros until my search and rescue class. After the first day, I cramped up so many times I thought I would need rescuing. My instructor had brought along some IST Talaria split fins, unfortunately I tried them late in the class. What an improvement, faster and no cramps. I wish I had used them when he first offered them.

I bought a pair, and now my quatro's sit in my basement, or if I think of it throw them in as backups.

Intersesting part is, the thing I like best is that they are slightly positive boyancy. At the quarry or shore entry into calm water, you just set them on the surface, no need to hang on to them. And getting back onto the boat, its definitely one less thing to worry about.

The only downside is the strap has an annoying tendency to pop off the stud if one end is popped open. No, I don't want to get into a springs debate (mostly because I think the idea looks good), just need to figure out the best solution for me.

Best part is they can be had on line for $100.

I can't tell you how they compare to the Apollos, because I haven't looked that closely at the Apollos (my LDS doesn't carry them). I did here them compared very favorably to the Apollos though.

As to kicks, I do find doing frog kicks less effective than my Quatros. But as to control, balance, turns, I can't really tell much difference. Since all I do is recreational diving, the idea of leaving a perfectly good body of water to go into a closed in space doesn't appeal to me. So splits work very nicely for me.

As to kicking up silt, I'm not really convinced there is any difference. I can and do swim close to the bottom at times, looking at critters, and don't stir up any silt. But I use very small kicks when I do it, and good boyancy control. I'm not looking for speed, that's not an issue here.

Back
Top Bottom