Are split fins really that great?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joed

Reaction score
A a few of my diving friends rave about split fins. They say they are so much better than regular fins. One guy was wreck diving off a boat and they ended up far away from the boat. He said they had to swim hard against the current for 1/2 hr. to get back to the boat. He said if he did not have split fins he never would have made it. Do split find give you better propulsion than regular fins? My friend swears by Atomic split fins.

Personally, I love my split fins. I did about 5 dives without them, and I hated it! They are so much easier, and my legs don't cramp at all! (Before they did a lot) I won't dive without them.... (my fins are Atomic's) I know of a lot of people who don't like them.... but I think they are great! :)

Kayla:)

I fought against them for awhile. Old school guy here and I really didn't buy into the whole deal. Then I started test driving some and saw a difference. But they are all very different. With some splits I did better with my old fins, but the ones I ended up buying are perfect for me.

Ya gotta do a test drive.

As with many items of dive gear, different items will work better for different folks.
Split fins feel like wet noodles to me, but I have tree trunk size legs & prefer the heftier fins.
The "Giant UDT Duck Feet" are my all time favorite, I can effectively tow tugboats with them or swim with a pair of 90 lb sacks of bugs.
Long surface swims are easier done on a snorkel, by the way.:wink:

Rodales did a fairly comprehensive test of various fin types last year, though I can't recall where the splits fit into the pack.

Rodales has repeatedly said that splits are the best. IMO, that's agood reason not to use them right there.

I've used several split fins. In fact I've spent quit a bit of time in the pool with them trying to figure out how to help students who insist on using them but I can't. Some folks who strictly flutter kick seem to like them but I don't have much use for a flutter. I can't make a split fin work acceptably for a frog or reverse. They also stink for a modified flutter or shuffle (use whatever name you like. I have no where near the manouvering ability with splits as I do with a paddle fin.

If you were to do a 5 mile race I don't know what would work better but if you want maximum control with minimum movement I think they suck.

I have never like splits....

though they look interesting, I don't see how they are more effective....if that were the case, rowing teams would be using split oars and other goofy looking things.

I used Apollo Bio Fin Pros since the dive after my OW course.

I swapped to Jetfins about 10 dives ago (about 400 dives later).

Splits are great for

a) muppet diving
b) keeping a sustained relatively higher speed up for longer than jetfins (but not that much higher).

However, jet fins are more than adequate for a and you generally do not need to do b often - if at all - except in cave diving where silt is more of a concern. Jetfins do not seem to kick up as much crap and you have a lot more power and control. There slightly heavier weight is good for trim as well.

I was taken a back by how nice jetfins are and am selling my bios. The bios are still very got fins if you only ever do recreational diving.

I also am of the opinion that split fins suck. I hate them. I have a pair of Twin Jets under my bed right now collecting dust. I have also used the Sherwood Treks and the Aqualung V-Tek, and the Oceanic V-12, and the Atomic split fins.

I dont like any of them. Too floppy, no power behind them. I cant stand the feeling of using them. It drives me crazy. I like using a standard paddle fin. I have a pair of jets for some of my diving, and I also use the Mares Volo, which seems to be a nice paddle fin that is very easy to kick with because of the hinge. I like the Volo.

Back
Top Bottom