Are resort DM's really that reckless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but is it just a coincidence that in the 2 days this topic has been open there's been at least 3 posters reporting being pressured into situations they felt uncomfortable and unqualified for at resorts, plus another whose friend had to leave because he cared about safety? Maybe, 4 people is certainly not hard evidence, but I also wouldn't just dismiss it.

Where are the incidents? It was claimed a higher number of incidents. I've yet to see a single example provided in this thread that proves that.

All the people saying they felt uncomfortable proves is that they weren't thinking for themselves. People need to get away from the blame culture and realise that as a qualified diver they alone are responsible for their own safety and only they alone can decide what to dive and when.
The main agencies qualify to dive - that DOESNT mean "qualified to dive but only with supervision" - that's only joke "courses" like scuba diver etc.

Maybe I'm just a dumbass - I know some people on here think I am.....but even so, I just really don't want much of ANYTHING from a DM. I just want an adequate dive briefing and for the boat to come get me at the surface - if necessary.

I don't want a DM to move my gear, set up my gear, take down my gear, rinse my gear - or do much of anything else with my gear unless perhaps I am unconscious or in some sort of distress or need someone to pass my fins or camera up to (or have them passed down to me).

I don't want a DM to hold my hand, lead a dive, guide my way, "find" creatures for me, or be anywhere near me when I am underwater.

I certainly don't believe a DM is responsible for my safety, nor will I depend on him/her to be responsible for my safety. I certainly am not going to follow a DM into any situation that makes me feel uncomfortable. While I don't think "flipping off" a DM is really necessary under such circumstances, I've got no compunction about shaking my head "no". Anyone who fails to do so when necessary has no one else to blame for what happens to them.

... cool...

Where are the incidents? It was claimed a higher number of incidents. I've yet to see a single example provided in this thread that proves that.
I never said I had any "proof", all I'm saying is for a 2 day old thread to see that many issues seems like it's more than a coincidence. We have one poster saying first hand a friend basically quit because of safety violations, and multiple others saying they were led on dives way past where they should have been.

All the people saying they felt uncomfortable proves is that they weren't thinking for themselves. People need to get away from the blame culture and realise that as a qualified diver they alone are responsible for their own safety and only they alone can decide what to dive and when.
The main agencies qualify to dive - that DOESNT mean "qualified to dive but only with supervision" - that's only joke "courses" like scuba diver etc.
You are qualified without supervision, and again in the case of a boat dive where the dive master stays on a boat, or even a dive where the divemaster is "with" you I'm not saying anything about. It's when you agree to follow someone, you are no longer completely in control of your own dive: they can lead you to danger. Now of course you're not physically chained and can break it off at anytime, but this is easier said than done for a new diver.

Actually it was appropriate. He significantly violated the dive plan (his dive plan!) and completely ignored repeated warnings that a brand new diver was LOA and soon to be OOA.

My only regret is that I didn't flip him off and ascend with my buddy earlier.

Terry
And see even an experienced diver went longer than he felt he should have before breaking it off. It's that much tougher for newer divers who might think "well he must know what he's doing".

I never said I had any "proof", all I'm saying is for a 2 day old thread to see that many issues seems like it's more than a coincidence. We have one poster saying first hand a friend basically quit because of safety violations, and multiple others saying they were led on dives way past where they should have been.

I've been reading through this thread... and find that I'm sudden recalling my 4th grade teacher saying, "Well.. just because somebody else jumps off a bridge are YOU going to too??"

"Safety Violations" and being "lead on dives past where they should have been" are often a perception based on the comfort level of a diver and, as such are the responsibility of the diver... not some imaginary *authority figure*. As a DM I expect to lead a dive not to baby-sit one (unless I am specifically asked to do so... and that has occured. I have a LOT of respect for a diver who says, "My skills aren't vary good... would you dive with me and make sure I'm doing OK.).

What this means is that I expect each and every diver in the group to be competent and honest about their own limitations... and to be responsible enough to "opt out" of a dive if they don't feel comfortable, feel unwell, or have any issues that might emperil themselves or others on the dive. If you're more concerned about getting your money's worth than your safety and won't call a dive... I can't help that. I'm not psychic... I can't make this call FOR you... you have to be honest enough with yourself to decide and responsible enough to act on that decision.

Part of all of this is a diver's understanding of what the actual role of a DM or a dive OP is... If you come to us with a valid cert card then we're assuming that you are a competent diver who has been properly trained and knows how to dive within their limitations... you are NOT a student. (If you want to be a student that can be arranged and the diving will be conducted along classroom proceedures... ) Basically I'm there to make sure you don't get lost... assist if somebody gets in trouble (if I can)... try to make sure that nobody gets lost... occasionally point out a pretty fish or a neat piece of something... help you to not get lost... and try to keep things somewhat organized.

I'm not saying anything new here... we've all heard it before. In short, you plan YOUR dive and YOU dive YOU'RE PLAN. So... while you MIGHT be able to do *some* finger pointing at a DM for being "unsafe"... you have to remember that EVERYBODY has their own safety levels... and what might feel or be "unsafe" for you... might be well within my own comfort level... This is the fundimental reason that each diver should dive within their own level of ability and training... not in somebody elses, whether you "have confidence in the DM" or not.

You are qualified without supervision, and again in the case of a boat dive where the dive master stays on a boat, or even a dive where the divemaster is "with" you I'm not saying anything about. It's when you agree to follow someone, you are no longer completely in control of your own dive: they can lead you to danger. Now of course you're not physically chained and can break it off at anytime, but this is easier said than done for a new diver.

... another 'bridge' to jump off of? In case nobody has point this out to you before, diving is a potentially dangerous activity regardless of depth or environment or "leadership"... YOU are responsible for your own dive AT ALL TIMES... you are also responsible for the consequences.

"... agree to follow..." doesn't mean that I'm going off that bridge with you...

And see even an experienced diver went longer than he felt he should have before breaking it off. It's that much tougher for newer divers who might think "well he must know what he's doing".

... wow... yet ANOTHER bridge to jump off of. But the questoin is not whether "he knows what he's doing" but whether YOU know what you're doing... if you don't... go back to class and take a refresher... don't try to make me responsible for your failure at self management.

If you want to blast a SPECIFIC DM or resport for poor operations ... that's one thing... but to start a thread that, by inuendo if not blaitant statement challenges the competence and professionalism of DMs in general... I'm afraid I have to take a bit of issue with that... specifically if you choose to do so by starting as an appologist for divers who won't take personal responsibility for their dives.

... I'd also like to point out two very relevant words that seem to have gone missing in this thread... "Liability Waiver"... if you're diving with a DM you've more than likely signed one... did you READ it???

I think its important to note that at resorts they take non-certified tourists scuba diving. This was my first ever scuba experience (which I loved) but it has to be said, at this time I had no clue what limit were or what I should or shouldnt be doing. I was literally shown how to breathe from a reg and off we went. On this particular dive we DID go through a small swim through and at the time I had no idea the complications this could potentially cause, particularly as I was consumed with what I was seeing for the very first time.

The majority of this conversation is about newly certified divers and their not wanting to refuse a DM or trusting a DM and as string and others have said, its not the DM's responsibility to babysit these people, but in reality we are specifically talking about resorts who take non-certified tourists on unsafe dives (as I took from the OP's initial post). Tourists have had zero training and should be assumed to have zero background knowledge and therefore DM's or instructors should not put them in possibly dangerous scenarios.

As a DM I expect to lead a dive not to baby-sit one (unless I am specifically asked to do so... and that has occured. I have a LOT of respect for a diver who says, "My skills aren't vary good... would you dive with me and make sure I'm doing OK.).
So as a DM being followed by a bunch of divers, you're okay with leading them into a cavern having never asked any of them if they were comfortable, let alone qualified, to enter this situation? Yes, the people following you should all just give you the finger and abort the dive at that point: but why put them in the situation to begin with?

And this isn't even a professional/divemaster situation in itself. If you're leading a group of divers, whatever your qualification; or even if you're just leading you and your buddy, I think it's irresponsible to start doing things like entering caverns without having discussed it ahead of time in the dive plan.

I'm not saying anything new here... we've all heard it before. In short, you plan YOUR dive and YOU dive YOU'RE PLAN.
Actually in the context of this topic it's the divemaster's or the resort or whoever's plan. Ideally, the divemaster will have discussed this plan with everyone ahead of time, but go to the topic here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...lly-all-four-divers-came-back-out-hole-2.html,
sure doesn't sound like the divers were ever "let in" on the fact that they'd be entering a cavern.

... another 'bridge' to jump off of? In case nobody has point this out to you before, diving is a potentially dangerous activity regardless of depth or environment or "leadership"... YOU are responsible for your own dive AT ALL TIMES... you are also responsible for the consequences.
Yes and that's why we have rules to keep us safe. Staying within yoru depth range and not entering wrecks and caverns are a couple of the big ones: But, as someone posted before with an excellent example, the Milgram experiement, people tend to do what the authority figure tells them, even if their own brain tells them it's wrong. In theory when that divemaster from the topic I posted the link to entered the cavern, everyone should have stopped and just let him go by himself, yet in reality 3 of 4 divers went with him. Especially among new divers, that is simply going to be the case most of the time. We can ignore reality if we really want and talk about what people should do in a perfect world, but in reality the divemaster will be treated as an authority figure and the Milgrim experiment results come into effect, especially by new divers.

If you want to blast a SPECIFIC DM or resport for poor operations ... that's one thing... but to start a thread that, by inuendo if not blaitant statement challenges the competence and professionalism of DMs in general... I'm afraid I have to take a bit of issue with that... specifically if you choose to do so by starting as an appologist for divers who won't take personal responsibility for their dives
a.) I didn't start the topic

b.) no one ever questioned DMs in general, at the very most the topic questioned resort DMs in general (which I understand is controversial since you can't paint all resort DMs with the same brush, however, if there are questions of safety, I think there is legitimacy in bringing them up: kind of like the constant news articles in Canada asking "are Mexican resorts safe to go to". Sure, we probably shouldn't paint all Mexican resorts with the same brush, but when there seem to be systematic safety issues, they get disscussed. As a Canadian who's never left Canada beyond the US, I'm ignorant to these places but interested in going there in the future. A topic about the safety while there is relevant to me.)

c.) This statement seems to ignore a lot of the topic, such as me saying that every DM I've dealt with has been incredibly competent, trustworthy and great overall.

Yes, the people following you should all just give you the finger and abort the dive at that point...
What is this obsession people seem to have with giving DMs the finger? It's kind of like punching someone's lights out if they happen to bump into you on a crowded train. Yeah - it gets your message across - but damn, it's overkill and hardly necessary. Also not very conducive to maintaining a positive relationship. :)

What is this obsession people seem to have with giving DMs the finger? It's kind of like punching someone's lights out if they happen to bump into you on a crowded train. Yeah - it gets your message across - but damn, it's overkill and hardly necessary. Also not very conducive to maintaining a positive relationship. :)
I was actually making a subtle reference to the member who posted that :) I just found it a bit funny so figured I'd make reference to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom