Are resort DM's really that reckless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry Rachel, but I am of the opinion that any DM (on behalf of the Dive Operation) that makes it clear that they hold no responsibility for the safety of those following them, needs to be eschewed.

I *never* said that. Never, not once nor do I believe anything of the sort. I take a tremendous amount of responsibility for the safety and enjoyment of the divers I'm with but that's doesn't let the divers off the hook when it comes to selecting an operator or a trip that meets their needs either.

R

.......I take a tremendous amount of responsibility for the safety and enjoyment of the divers I'm with but that's doesn't let the divers off the hook when it comes to selecting an operator or a trip that meets their needs either.

R

We are in absolute full agreement.

You Are Here:

:deadhorse:

Ah...poor guy. That looks like it will leave a mark :D. Does that cowboy have to walk now? This thread is the reason I asked for a "dog chasing tail" smiley.

Our corporate policy:

Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, in business we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:

1. Buying a stronger whip.
2. Changing riders.
3. Say things like, "This is the way we have always ridden this horse."
4. Appointing a committee to study the horse.
5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
6. Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.
7. Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse.
8. Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.
9. Comparing the state of dead horses in todays environment.
10. Change the requirements declaring that "This horse is not dead."
11. Hire contractors to ride the dead horse.
12. Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.
13. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."
14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.
15. Do a Cost Analysis study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.
16. Purchase a product to make dead horses run faster.
17. Declare the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.
18. Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.
19. Revisit the performance requirements for horses.
20. Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.
21. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.

( I have posted the same story on SB about a year ago )

This guy I know gets THE job most of us would really appreciate : DM at a Caribbean resort.

After just six months, I hear he`s back in town !!!

The story was; one day he went to his superior at the dive center because he was concerned about having non-certified divers, or taking divers beyond their qualification. He was also concerned on the fact that this was causing too many uncontrolled ascents and OOA situations, and that sooner or later something bad would happen.

His superior replied that he was getting paid to take people on vacation diving, and if the situation displeased him, he should be looking for another job. :confused:

The next week, he was back in town.

Sorry Rachel, but I am of the opinion that any DM (on behalf of the Dive Operation) that makes it clear that they hold no responsibility for the safety of those following them, needs to be eschewed.

But wouldn't a statement like that be a bit refreshing, telling the divers that they DO need to ultimately be reponsible for themselves, that they can't push the responsibility onto someone else.

But then again, aren't those 'releases' stating just that. That the shop or business will not be held responsible.

But that would eliminate the borrego's out there that the dive industry today is breeding oh so well.

But wouldn't a statement like that be a bit refreshing, telling the divers that they DO need to ultimately be reponsible for themselves, that they can't push the responsibility onto someone else.

But then again, aren't those 'releases' stating just that. That the shop or business will not be held responsible.

But that would eliminate the borrego's out there that the dive industry today is breeding oh so well.

First of all....WHAT??? :confused:

Secondly, to the second point. Yes those releases do make it clear that the DM really could do almost anything except stab you and feed you to the sharks and get away with it. The problem is......some actually fall for it. Those are the problems. Those that lose that shred of humanity that causes them to actually care about the well being of others that are (rightly or wrongly makes ZERO difference) putting trust in them. That's the problem. Some have lost and that and actually do not care what happens to those divers. Thanksfully I believe these are greatly outnumbered by those who actually DO care, but they are still out there.

I've got a better idea, how about divers taking responsiblity for themselves, instead of assuming somoene else will keep them safe. The point of the training is to give you the tools to make those decisions.

Look at it this way, if a diver follows a DM down to 90 feet, fails to check his air supply and runs out, then forgets his training and just bolts to the surface and embolizes, who is responsible for that? Is the DM required to look at everyone's SPG every 5 minutes?

Those that lose that shred of humanity that causes them to actually care about the well being of others that are (rightly or wrongly makes ZERO difference) putting trust in them. That's the problem. Some have lost and that and actually do not care what happens to those divers. Thanksfully I believe these are greatly outnumbered by those who actually DO care, but they are still out there.

Who said anything about not caring? There is a big difference between not catering to everyone's individual levels of comfort and ability and not caring.

Back
Top Bottom