Are masks overpriced ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure there is much difference between the quality of the $19.99 and the $69.99 new fangled release mask. Proper fit is not a problem for me and I like Watler have used a $20.00 clearance table special mask for the last 7 years. I bought a Cressi Matrix for Christmas and I hope it proves to be an upgrade.

Loneranger:
I am not sure there is much difference between the quality of the $19.99 and the $69.99 new fangled release mask. Proper fit is not a problem for me and I like Watler have used a $20.00 clearance table special mask for the last 7 years. I bought a Cressi Matrix for Christmas and I hope it proves to be an upgrade.
If you don't like it, would be happy to buy it from you..

Loneranger:

I think that I wrote earlier in this thread that my wife, unlike the venerable Walter, has trouble with mask fit. So, she did an experiment and purchased a very inexpensive "snorkle" mask. It fit perfectly and has been her mask for over 300 dives. The cost? I think it was ca. $20. I believe that would even fit Walter's budget!:wink:

joewr

Hello all, i gave the lens one last scrub with "Jiff" a liquid form similar to ajax, and it worked.

I dove 3 dives Saturday and another 3 on Sunday, and had no fogging at all with the Shadow or the Big Eyes.

I changed between them both to see if they would fog, and used Sea drops one dive and then baby shampoo the next, all dives were fog and leak free :)

I now have 2 masks that will give me fog free dives for some time, yes i am now a happy camper.

Wayward Son:
Cressi Big Eyes masks can be had for about $27 from both http://www.scuba.com and http://www.divers-supply.com/ scuba.com has cheaper shipping

Wayward son: The OEM Cost for most masks, including box etc., goes from about $9.00-$17.00 US. The normal mark up to retail is around x5. Expect to pay $45-$85 @ retail. Most masks come from just a few OEM's. A "generic" mask is, often, the same as the "brand name" mask.

You might try an acetylene torch followed by a light sandblasting. Not so much that the glass breaks or heavily pits...

Hey DrBill, how much do you think you could get for a 2oz. bottle? Does it come with its own bacteria included guarantee??? :)

mdb:
Wayward son: The OEM Cost for most masks, including box etc., goes from about $9.00-$17.00 US. The normal mark up to retail is around x5. Expect to pay $45-$85 @ retail. Most masks come from just a few OEM's. A "generic" mask is, often, the same as the "brand name" mask.

Yes. What I was told is that an actual cost for SP Frameless is about $10.

It isn't a suprising fact that an eye glasses is also 1000% mark up business.:D

Of course masks are over-priced, but you have to understand the economics of them. Let's say a company sells 2 million masks a year for $100 each. About half that goes to the retailer, maybe 10% to the wholesaler/rep. That leaves only $40 net to the manufacturer. The workers who make the masks get minimum wage for whatever country they live in, so that knocks off another $1-2 per mask leaving just $38-39. Incorporating salary, stock options and amortized severance pay, the CEO of the company gets $35 per mask sold. That only leaves a paltry profit of $3-4 per mask. It's a wonder companies continue to manufacture them at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom