Are masks overpriced ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Of course masks are over-priced, but you have to understand the economics of them. Let's say a company sells 2 million masks a year for $100 each. About half that goes to the retailer, maybe 10% to the wholesaler/rep. That leaves only $40 net to the manufacturer. The workers who make the masks get minimum wage for whatever country they live in, so that knocks off another $1-2 per mask leaving just $38-39. Incorporating salary, stock options and amortized severance pay, the CEO of the company gets $35 per mask sold. That only leaves a paltry profit of $3-4 per mask. It's a wonder companies continue to manufacture them at all.
Bill, you are such a negative downer. How about looking at it this way:

I have had three masks (ok, 4 if you count the backup) in over 2,500 dives.. so that is, at around $45 per mask, $.072 per dive. The mask defog costs more than that. An one of them is new, so I should get another 1,000 or so, which would reduce the cost down to just over 5 cents per dive. I've spent more on almost all the other equipment I use.

Hey problem solved...Just knock off the CEO and save $35 from his share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom