Are dive computers making bad divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not correct.

The full PADI tables are based on a lot of published research using multiple theoretical tissues. I don't recall the number off the top of my head.

What you are confusing this with is surface interval.
So, I confused surface interval with half-time. I must be watching too much football. You posted this information in another thread. I should of looked it up first before posting but I got lazy.

Despite this being squareish, if I were to have logged this using a table, I would have needed to use 23' for the entire dive even though the vast majority was spent at 17'.
Which is the point of using dive computers that adjust to the dive being undertaken, not the theoretical dive.

Obviously for that dive a computer's not necessary as you'd need to spend umpteen hours on the bottom to get anywhere near a decompression obligation.

Which is the point of using dive computers that adjust to the dive being undertaken, not the theoretical dive.

Obviously for that dive a computer's not necessary as you'd need to spend umpteen hours on the bottom to get anywhere near a decompression obligation.
Yep. Agree completely on both counts. The most I've seen my SurfGF at the aquarium was low single digits. I don't use the computer to keep me safe as these dives are all gas limited. I mainly use it to see how my SAC/RMV changes with different dives.

Had my worst ever RMV there last weekend. Dive was only 22 minutes, and my RMV was 1.06. This was a special event dive where the divers were part of a show for the aquarium guests. So, I was wearing a shark costume (Strike 1), doing a Red Light / Green Light race (Strike 2), and using a bubble gun hooked up to the regulator (Strike 3). That bubble gun uses a lot of air.

Yep. Agree completely on both counts. The most I've seen my SurfGF at the aquarium was low single digits. I don't use the computer to keep me safe as these dives are all gas limited. I mainly use it to see how my SAC/RMV changes with different dives.

Had my worst ever RMV there last weekend. Dive was only 22 minutes, and my RMV was 1.06. This was a special event dive where the divers were part of a show for the aquarium guests. So, I was wearing a shark costume (Strike 1), doing a Red Light / Green Light race (Strike 2), and using a bubble gun hooked up to the regulator (Strike 3). That bubble gun uses a lot of air.

For some reason this song is in my head now …

7C2909B0-C652-4B3E-A35C-82109BCABDCE.gif

We did, four fingers and a thumb. :wink:
And if humans throughout history had truly agreed with you that thumbs weren't fingers, we'd have our base 8 system! :p

Then what’s your definition of a square profile?
Anything that could be accurately defined on a single level of a dive table.

Please call it octal.

As the Unix joke goes, 007 is a really dumb file permission.

This guy nailed it:

It's pretty much only useful for shaken martinis.

So, I confused surface interval with half-time. I must be watching too much football. You posted this information in another thread. I should of looked it up first before posting but I got lazy.
A mistake I am afraid I have made all too often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom