Are Converted Scubapro 109's a weak link?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not expect a dive shop to service your hodgepodge reg set.
I use to have a few 109/156 regs before switching to g250s for everything.

Do not expect a dive shop to service your hodgepodge reg set.
I use to have a few 109/156 regs before switching to g250s for everything.
Scubapro supported conversion of the 109 to a balanced 156 configuration, nobody batted an eye at the time. The G250 is no longer in production now for quite a few years and it is nothing more than a 156 in a fiberglass reinforced composite case with improved Venturi and a dive/pre-dive controllable vane.

So, we might expect techs to soon consider, if not already, a G250 to be a hodgepodge. In fact, last summer while in Florida I had a young lady DM comment that my (G250 regulators) looked like the one in their Scubapro regulator exhibit.

The tech did tell whatever I did not to buy a G250 either

The tech did tell whatever I did not to buy a G250 either

You need to not walk but run from that place. IMO, the G250 is the best second stage ever made. The only thing that would make it better is if Scubapro had offered a titanium air barrel and a removable silicone bump cover (in colors).

I have two of these G250 with the Scubapro official release "Surf" cover. I am a pretty good regulator mechanic but these were set up by my late friend Robert Couvillon and they know no equal. They make every regulator I have ever used, rented, owned or now own seem second rate. I shot 2K clear, two coats, over the Scubapro Surf covers for additional protection from scratches.

And the one in the top left is not a 109, it is a satin CE 156 BA with the big valve made to match my four other 109s. It too was from Robert. And it was "very, very expensive and worth every cent" as I promised Robert I would relay when asked about it. And it is.

Edit to add, the UW selfie was taken with a Nauticam WWL-1 semi-fisheye lens at about 4 inches from my mask. So the regulator looks disproportionally huge. And I look ugly. Let me just correct for the record, I am beautiful, and so is the regulator! :acclaim:

Because parts are no longer available.
Bodies, covers, adjustment knob, etc have all been discontinued.
A good reason for someone using a shop for maintenance, I don’t use them because they are huge, like having a double hose on your face.

Scubapro supported conversion of the 109 to a balanced 156 configuration, nobody batted an eye at the time.
Do you have the TSB for that?
Things that were OK in 1973 isnt necessarily the case 50 years later.
Nobody is disagreeing that they're decent regs, most dive shops won't work on them because parts other than basic rebuilds are no longer available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom