are combination octo/power inflators BS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68:
I wouldn't use it for tech diving either. If I was going "tech" deep I would definately go with a spare Reg. but I like it alot for the recreational diving I do. It's as good at depth as any reg I've ever tried (my main Reg is a Aqua Lung Legend LX Supreme) All the obvious functions are great. I've done safety practices with it and I find it to be pretty simple to use in those situations as well. I may be wrong but I think they make a titanium version that's for Tech (Nitrox) use but don't quote me...call Atomic.

Titanium isn't a good material for high FO2 gasses so I wouldn't consider a reg made of titanium a "tech" reg.

If there's any advantage at all it would probably be resistance to corrosion but mostly I think it's just expensive BS.

MikeFerrara:
Titanium isn't a good material for high FO2 gasses so I wouldn't consider a reg made of titanium a "tech" reg.

What's wrong with titanium?

Titanium + Oxygen = Kaboom. Very bad combination.

I figure titanium is just an expensive gimmick in regulators. I mean - has ANYONE ever seen a brass regulator break due to lack of structural strength? So what if it's lighter - it just means it's more weight you're going to have to add to your belt anyway.

Titanium regs are nice for travel. Some of my friends with MONEY have them and they weigh like they're plastic. You have to make up for that weight underwater of course, but the dive operators' keep that lead, not you.

Funkyspelunker,
At the end of the day it'll be your decision to choose but could I just ask a simple question? Have you ever experienced any real stress underwater? If you haven't , go back and read Mike Ferrara's posts as what he says it is soooo true. When you get stressed you end up breathing so badly (I am an inexperienced diver) or in an out of air you have a couple of seconds of complete denial ie you start thinking for a second or 2 that this cannot and should not be happening to you but it is and you have to deal with it. With the configuration Mike is suggesting you have the same configuration whether it's cold/warm (- your task loading is lessened considerably ) - if you decide to go for tech diving you reduce your diving costs by not having to replace costly gear and you increase your comfort level as you are not having to learn how to do something differently from what you originally used.

That said, there are plenty of people who use Air2's and are quite comfortable deploying them - will your holidays allow you to practice sufficiently to get to the same skill levels or will it be just something you'll forget about?

I started in tropical waters and have recently done my first UK sea dives - ie I am progressing from one set of conditions to another set - I never expected to dive in the UK but I have - perhaps a little futureproofing might be good - by all accounts you have some great diving right on your doorstep!

Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Thanks dbulmer, I actually have had some stressful situations. I went diving in Cuba and ran out of air three times while there due to fualty equipment provided by the dive op. The economics in that country are certainly not conducive to having good equipment available that is serviced properly. I don't think I saw an O ring the entire trip, they fixed inoperable regs with rusty nails, and pretty much dove till 10 bar on a regular basis, taking novices like me into caves and tunnels. All that aside it was one of the most beautiful places to dive I've ever seen (I've done Great Barrier Reef, Thailand, Hawaii, Bahamas and BC).
As far as an octo+ goes, one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that in an OOA situation, you are going to reflexively know where your octo+ is much better than a standard octo because of how often you have your hand there out of habit (ie. each time you inflate or deflate your BC), that being said I think I will stick to the octo+ for the time being until I get into tech diving (if I ever do).
All of you sure gave me some great information on the subject though, I had even bought an R390 octo and then a few days later changed my mind again (on the premise I just mentioned). I don't think there's a perfect setup, just whatever is right for the individual.

This board is full of very giving and patient divers, and makes me even more happy to have taken up such a wonderful pursuit!

I ran out of air in Cuba ! Whereabouts were you? And yes returning with less than 50 bar was the norm. It happened to me once - never again!

The reflexive action on the long hose/backup reg is simply to point your chin down and pickup your backup reg hanging round your neck. The backup is always on your neck so it won't dangle in sand etc

Guardalavaca - seems like a long time ago - last June for me ah well ... the Maldives in 4 weeks - YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Back
Top Bottom