Are Atomics worth the cash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no need to spend that much money (T3) unless you have them burning your pockets :)
They breath just as other barrel type regs SP G250, S600, A700 , Apekses, Zeagles if all regs are tuned properly. Not as well as older D series or Air 1 which is understandable.
My deal breaker for me about Atomic second was their pressure relieve device on the 2nd stage which allow the reg to flood if used on a stage/deco bottles. The same feature does not allow to soak the reg without a tank attached.
For the same reason I did not like my older S600 which had similar feature.

I am looking at replacing my 15 year old Mares Abyss with some new gear and keeping the Mares as a back set.

If you pick up any dive comparisons, the Atomic get the most ink. It can also the most expensive (T3).

I live in South Florida, so getting enough use out of them is no problem. But the prices- wow!

Just want to know what the board thinks. Thanks.

My deal breaker for me about Atomic second was their pressure relieve device on the 2nd stage which allow the reg to flood if used on a stage/deco bottles. The same feature does not allow to soak the reg without a tank attached.

I went with Apeks stage regs for a while due to this issue, but eventually I just got over it so I could have a single type of reg (M1) across the board. As it turns out, it takes some work to fully drain a charged/off bottle. So far, so good on not flooding them. As for soaking, I got an H valve on a 20cf tank so I could do two at a time easily :)

For the OP it might not be that much of a deal if he has one or too- like you said an H valve can feed 2 but if you have to soak 3 or 4 it can require some dedicated soak station:)

I went with Apeks stage regs for a while due to this issue, but eventually I just got over it so I could have a single type of reg (M1) across the board. As it turns out, it takes some work to fully drain a charged/off bottle. So far, so good on not flooding them. As for soaking, I got an H valve on a 20cf tank so I could do two at a time easily :)

I have to soak anywhere from 1 to 7 depending on the dive, but rotating two at a time for a few hours each is not exactly hard work.

But there was ONE post that didn't quite sit right with me. The Atomic does not breathe the best in ALL positions of all regulators. It's not design. It's not maintenance. It's not tuning. It's case geometry.
I have tuned my 20 year old Scubapro D-350 and D-400's to crack at significantly less than 1". And in most all positions, the coaxial valves of the D-series have less susceptibility to position change than a "standard" looking second stage like the OP's Abyss or an Atomic. It's case geometry. Sorry, but my D-400 breathes better than my Atomic in some positions.

But that ONE comment aside, the unanimity of the pro-Atomic crowd is right.
If that's in reference to my post, read it again because I didn't say ALL positions. Also in case it's not clear, I'm in no way bothered by your questioning it.
They breathe effortlessly in any position I've tried - and since I shoot video I've been in some unconventional ones. I can't say that about any other reg I've used in my limited exposure - most breathe harder when you look up inverted.
Most for me is 2 Atomics, Aqualung (Titan LX?), Poseidon JetStream, an inexpensive Zeagle, a couple old Dacor's and an SP MK25/S600.
I used a Flathead once also but that person wouldn't know a reg tech if he saw one so I doubt it had been tuned (or serviced) for years.

I also have an experienced (33 years that I know of) reg tech who tunes mine to it's best performance - and it's a T2. He has lots of pretty Atomic (and other mfr's Service Tech certificates hanging on his wall so we'll assume some competency there also.

None of us have that calibrated of a set of lungs to tell the difference between your D400 and my T2. No matter what the best gauges say. So realistically we're splitting hairs.

The same feature does not allow to soak the reg without a tank attached.
It does if the 1st is higher than the 2nds. And outside the tank. Or vice-versa. It's only a problem if it travels back up the hose from the 2nd if also submerged.

Last edited:
. None of us have that calibrated of a set of lungs to tell the difference between your D400 and my T2. No matter what the best gauges say. So realistically we're splitting hairs.
Not really, the difference between D series Air 1 and barrel designs (including atomic) is very noticeable without gauges. The former deliver much smoother flow and the crack easier without loosing stability in some positions. Yes, I tried many regs including Atomics (B and M do not remember what versions they were)

---------- Post added August 30th, 2013 at 07:58 PM ----------

It does if the 1st is higher than the 2nds. And outside the tank. Or vice-versa. It's only a problem if it travels back up the hose from the 2nd if also submerged.

So how do you know that you drained all the water our of the second stage hose after soaking it?

For me it's too much of a monkey business for very little benefit.

Last edited:
So how do you know that you drained all the water our of the second stage hose after soaking it?
I hang it up overnite and let it dry. The only time I see it as a problem is on a pony or stage bottle in salt water. Since I own neither, it's of no consequence for me. If I need it dry faster I hook it up to a tank and blow it dry. I do that on liveaboards since I often procrastinate and pack on the last morning.

Last edited:
I really wish they made some simple design similar to SB G250V/G260. The quality of their work is great and the first stage from what I seen is made very well but this 2nd stage over engineering what turns me away from them.

I hang it up overnite and let it dry. The only time I see it as a problem is on a pony or stage bottle in salt water. Since I own neither, it's of no consequence for me. If I need it dry faster I hook it up to a tank and blow it dry. I do that on liveaboards since I often procrastinate and
pack on the last morning.

He has lots of pretty Atomic (and other mfr's Service Tech certificates hanging on his wall so we'll assume some competency there also.

I would definitely NOT assume competency simply because of manufacturers' certificates. Those 'courses' are one day seminars that no one ever fails.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2013 at 07:06 AM ----------

None of us have that calibrated of a set of lungs to tell the difference between your D400 and my T2. No matter what the best gauges say. So realistically we're splitting hairs.

That's definitely not true. Actually the atomic might score higher on some breathing test machines, but in terms of feel while diving, the center balanced/coaxial valve 2nd stages are noticeably different. (better IMO) It's more a qualitative thing, but I could easily distinguish them in a blind test. It has to do with the geometry and design of the case and how it reacts with very small differences in depth.

I would definitely NOT assume competency simply because of manufacturers' certificates. Those 'courses' are one day seminars that no one ever fails.
How about his 33+ (observed by me) years of servicing regs? And his statewide reputation? How's that rate on your competency scale?

---------- Post added August 31st, 2013 at 07:38 AM ----------

but this 2nd stage over engineering what turns me away from them.
My Chevy truck and my 3 series BMW both got me to work. One just did it a lot better...the difference being that with regs, neither costs more to service. (unlike the Bimmer...:depressed:)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom