Are Atomics worth the cash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have owned an Atomic Z2 and Apeks XTX50 and rented a whole bunch of regs. Atomics breathes for you!!! I have not seen any regulator do that. Furthermore just like others pointed out, Atomics delivers the same no matter what position you find yourself in. The question then becomes how much would you pay for this feature? Keep in mind that their cheapest model will do this as good as the most expensive one. Then the only practical advantage their pricier models have is cold water compatibility. Now my understanding is that Atomics are pretty much untested in cold waters so they do not have a reputation for those conditions. Being piston regs, how well would they perform is open to discussion. Even if you do decide to go for that feature, you do not need the priciest model. M1 can do it as well. Everything else to it is "Ferrari" elements that add to the brand value and the brag value rather than anything that you will notice while diving IMHO. Great regs! If I was not planning to dive freezing waters, I would never use anything other than an Atomic.

I bought an M1 and Z1 in 2002 and they have been great, still shiny and breathe like the day I bought them. I am a full time instructor, teach and dive tech, have crewed on jersey charter boats and have put these regs though the wringer. I am very happy with them and have no plans to replace them

I also think Z2 is one of the best bang for the buck regulator out there. The coat is at entry level, performance is as good as top of the line model, no hype here. For Titanium, no one claim it breathes better than Z2, it is just the material that cost more. Scubapro Ti MK25 also costs about the same. So need to compare apple to apple.

I am looking at replacing my 15 year old Mares Abyss with some new gear and keeping the Mares as a back set.

If you pick up any dive comparisons, the Atomic get the most ink. It can also the most expensive (T3).

I live in South Florida, so getting enough use out of them is no problem. But the prices- wow!

Just want to know what the board thinks. Thanks.

It's not necessarily "atomic" regulators that are in that price category, but titanium regulators because they are light. Scubapro has a titanium version of the MK25 that's in a similar price bracket. I wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers had expensive titanium regulators as well.

Damn.. I bought a used Atomic reg over a year ago. The price seemed right. It is in the box as a back up and I continue to use my 25 yr old scuba pro reg.... I don't normally dive past 190 feet, so maybe if I was doing serious dives, I would feel the need to upgrade.

I am looking at replacing my 15 year old Mares Abyss with some new gear and keeping the Mares as a back set.

If you pick up any dive comparisons, the Atomic get the most ink. It can also the most expensive (T3).

I live in South Florida, so getting enough use out of them is no problem. But the prices- wow!

Just want to know what the board thinks. Thanks.

Atomic makes great regulators. You can't go wrong buying one...

But.... this board member thinks you already own a great regulator!!!

You can buy a new Atomic and be really happy.... again, Atomic makes superb regulators.... but don't assume there is going to be an earth shattering difference in performance from your current regulator (assuming your Mares Abyss is properly tuned!).

Get the Mares serviced and tuned properly if you think it does not breath well.... the Mares Abyss can be an outstanding breather if the tech takes a few extra minutes to tune the 2nd stage correctly (and not just to "factory spec", which usually results in ho-hum performance).

But if you want something new and shiny, sure, an Atomic will make you quite happy.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I own several Atomics and can't tell any difference in how they breathe. I have a Z1 with a Z1 octo and a B2 with a B1 octo. The major difference is in the internal parts of the second stages. The Z1's look their age, the inlet tubes are a little corroded and may have to be replaced or really cleaned up before too much longer. The titanium workings on the B1 and B2 look identical and show no corrosion or discolorations at all in spite of a quite a few years of service. The Z series are great regulators, but the B series represents the best value when you consider longevity.

Back
Top Bottom