Are airline bag fee's changing gear ownership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep going back to the same place in Belize year after year and it's sorely tempting to leave a set there. Since I dive "here" all the time, I would need to duplicate regs, but that's about it. Everything else is either "southern gear" (wetsuit, light BC) or norther gear (wing and drysuit) so the cost would be minimal.

We just got back on the weekend and spent $90 US ($450 CDN or something ;-) ) each way for three bags for two people. Payback would be pretty fast. We kinda did this one year when a friend left Mrs. Stoo's extra BC there. We got it back a year later!

Mind you, if you have to pay to rent a secure space someplace, that would likely eat up any financial argument, but it would certainly make the travel easier.

In my next life I am taking up badminton instead of diving. I dream of checking in with some tight white shorts, a racket and some birdies or whatever those things are called... ;-)

Yeah, I'm just not tied that much to my gear. I prefer it and all that, but if I'm just diving a couple of times on a shore/tourist vacation, I really can't leave all my crap at home fast enough. Just give me a couple of milk jugs and a straw and I'll leave those bags at home for a dive or two. Now if it's a dive vacation, it's ALL coming with me. I have an investment plus I do like my "tricked out" gear. It's comfy, cozy etc. etc.. I don't buy into all "it's life support" angle. I've done lots of dives in rental gear and it's just not that hard. I do a lot of pre-trip recon so I know if I'm diving with a reputable op or if I'm slumming it in a remote locale. That DOES make a difference when it comes to gear. Saving the $50 on bags if just gravy. It doesn't really enter into the decision. My two cents. YMMV. :)

Mask, snorkel, reg and computer, all carry on-That is it for me, the rest rented.

In my next life I am taking up badminton instead of diving. I dream of checking in with some tight white shorts, a racket and some birdies or whatever those things are called... ;-)

As someone who also plays badminton, beware what you are wishing for! If you really take up badminton, one racket will not be enough. Of course you'll need several, to adapt your game. And your special shoes of course! And those birdies (by the way, those are called shuttlecock. If that's too much of a mouthfull, I'd advise you to just say shuttle. Don't cut it to only the last part of the word - I speak of experience... But birdies is fine ^^). We go through them so quickly! You might need several for a game. And since I suppose you don't travel for only one game, you'll need several boxes. Have you even seen a badminton player travelling with all his stuff? And mostly, I haven't found a way yet to travel with my racket without having to buy a new one at the destination :(

Who am I kiding. Scuba diving is still bulkier :wink: (but racket frailty is still a problem).

I'm ready this thread attentively. As someone who just invested in her gear, and preparing her next scuba trip, it's quite interesting. I realize now that I'm quite lucky to be a frequent flyer on my airlines. I guess I'll stick to them when I fly with scuba gear, so that luggage won't be an issue. I usually travel carry-on only, and despite travelling a lot, I lost the hang of checking in luggages...

giffenk, I usually fly once yearly to Winnipeg and use Visa points. Have found some of the same issues as you at the gate. I don't know if I agree that ticket prices (at least in Canada--maybe U.S.too) have actually gone down because of baggage charges. Can you cite examples? I do know that all the airport fees and taxes (above my "free flight") probably come close to what the actual ticket price was maybe 10 years ago.
I think my real point was that instead of raising the ticket price by $100, some airlines have eliminated free baggage on some tickets. So people thunk they are getting a great deal and then get pissed when they realize that they have to pay at check in time.

From a ticket price perspective you can not really make any valid comparisions since prices change randomly. A few years ago my divebuddy flew business class to London England because it was cheaper than economy - on the same flight! On our last trip to bonaire we flew 2 different routes: Toronto - houston- bonaire and returned bonaire - newark - toronto. All due to prices being more than $500 different to use the same route both ways.

Air Canada baggage allowance is very confusing since they have many many levels of tickets, not just business and economy. They have Air Canada and Rouge airlines. Then there is Economy Tango, Economy Flex, Economy Latitude, Business Class and business Class Flexible. For me, these all get mixed with my Altitude status which causes even more confusion.

I think my real point was that instead of raising the ticket price by $100, some airlines have eliminated free baggage on some tickets. So people thunk they are getting a great deal and then get pissed when they realize that they have to pay at check in time.
Doing this removes paying extra taxes on the ticket. It removes income from the travel agents, the municipality, the government, etc. because you only pay taxes on the ticket. Anyone who takes a percentage of the ticket gets nothing on the upgrades like exit row, luggage, meals, etc.

Reactions: BRT
The wife and I pretty well fly Delta everywhere we go because of points and credit card. First checked bag for each us is free so we pack our gear minus computer and regulator in checked bags then carry on the other. The overall right answer is to take less clothes. Been doing it for years since I was in the military and now my wife has gotten wise to it. Next time you are going somewhere warm take stock of how many clothes you bring and don't need.

An interesting theory, but there seem to be those other airlines capable of charging 20-40% less and giving their passengers actual food and drinks during the flight... Pity their hubs "happen" to be in "exploding laptops" territory.

Edit: and all without a credit card with 26% interest rate either. Amazing, that.

An interesting theory, but there seem to be those other airlines capable of charging 20-40% less and giving their passengers actual food and drinks during the flight... Pity their hubs "happen" to be in "exploding laptops" territory.

Edit: and all without a credit card with 26% interest rate either. Amazing, that.

Most of the "exploding laptop" country airlines are government subsidized or even government owned.

Back
Top Bottom