AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Working since I was 13-ish, learning a couple of trades, being very good at one of them, and being quite frugal with my dollars.

Which trade was that? You've been supporting yourself since you were 13? Commendable.

Which trade was that? You've been supporting yourself since you were 13? Commendable.

Structural steel fabrication.

Not fully supporting myself since 13, no. Hard to hold down a full-time job at that age. But I lived on a farm at that time and made some good money raising livestock.

I promised myself I wasn't going to post again, but this just doesn't seem to go away and keeps drawing me back in.

I'm sure that Jonathan is every bit the bright, young lad Bill says he is, but the bottom line is...Jonathan doesn't have that much diving experience. I would hate to see what he would do if he were to ever be involved in a really serious diving or boating incident or accident.

In 20+ years of diving all corners of the earth, I have met at least five people who have been hit by boat props, seriously enough to put them in the hospital. They are all still active divers and have learned from their horrible experiences. I've been nearly hit by boats myself at least six or seven times, sometimes when using a safety sausage, sometimes not, and this wasn't because I was being careless. On a boat in Indonesia I watched a boat driver pour fuel into his motor while holding a lit cigarette in his mouth. Now THAT was an accident waiting to happen! (and YES, I jumped overboard as fast as I could). I've seen one boat captain from Bunaken run his boat up on a reef (Divemaster said he was drunk). I know at least 20 people who have been bent. Lastly I've seen first hand a diver unexplainably shoot to the surface from a very deep dive to embolize and die at the surface. I didn't go online and post scathing reports pointing the finger at anybody, but I certainly did learn from every story and incident.

So Jonathan, if you think three dive boats cruising over your flag doesn't tell you that in spite of all your attempts to do the right thing, this might not be working, then maybe you've put YOURSELF and your friends into a dangerous area or situation.

Without reading this entire thread over again, I don't recall anywhere where Jonathan has accepted responsibility for his involvement in this altercation and that to me seems a bit inflexible. So I would ask, if Jonathan could re-live this whole incident, what would HE do different? I can't imagine he hasn't learned something from this all. That's what experience is.

I promised myself I wasn't going to post again, but this just doesn't seem to go away and keeps drawing me back in.

I'm sure that Jonathan is every bit the bright, young lad Bill says he is, but the bottom line is...Jonathan doesn't have that much diving experience. I would hate to see what he would do if he were to ever be involved in a really serious diving or boating incident or accident.

In 20+ years of diving all corners of the earth, I have met at least five people who have been hit by boat props, seriously enough to put them in the hospital. They are all still active divers and have learned from their horrible experiences. I've been nearly hit by boats myself at least six or seven times, sometimes when using a safety sausage, sometimes not, and this wasn't because I was being careless. On a boat in Indonesia I watched a boat driver pour fuel into his motor while holding a lit cigarette in his mouth. Now THAT was an accident waiting to happen! (and YES, I jumped overboard as fast as I could). I've seen one boat captain from Bunaken run his boat up on a reef (Divemaster said he was drunk). I know at least 20 people who have been bent. Lastly I've seen first hand a diver unexplainably shoot to the surface from a very deep dive to embolize and die at the surface. I didn't go online and post scathing reports pointing the finger at anybody, but I certainly did learn from every story and incident.

So Jonathan, if you think three dive boats cruising over your flag doesn't tell you that in spite of all your attempts to do the right thing, this might not be working, then maybe you've put YOURSELF and your friends into a dangerous area or situation.

Without reading this entire thread over again, I don't recall anywhere where Jonathan has accepted responsibility for his involvement in this altercation and that to me seems a bit inflexible. So I would ask, if Jonathan could re-live this whole incident, what would HE do different? I can't imagine he hasn't learned something from this all. That's what experience is.

I see now. We are mostly looking at this from the wrong angle. This is really a learning opportunity for the diver and isn't about the boat captain at all.:mooner:

Plug for Aqua Safari. I've been to cozumel close to 50 times since the mid 70's. Dove with AS before Bill or Donna were there. AS has always been the class act in my subjective opinion. I've run trips with from 6 to 23 divers and seen many "things" happen. I flipped a jeep on the backside of the island in a freak accident. Bill and Donna took time out of their busy days to help this gringo. Can't thank them enough. One of my divers left her purse on the boat. I'm sure Donna remembers this even though it was 20+ yrs ago. The purse had about $1,400USD and 10K in jewelry in it. We found the boat locked up in the marina later that evening when she realized what had happened. The store was closed. The next morning the purse was handed back to the lady with EVERYTHING in it. This is integrity. What could've happened? I highly recommend Aqua Safari. They do go the extra mile and bend over backwards to please.
It's cold and raining in S.E. TX and I read the whole thread before posting. Leave out the Cheetos please.
Signed;
Bill ChildersR.N. NAUI 5709L CD/IANTD 1982

I see now. We are mostly looking at this from the wrong angle. This is really a learning opportunity for the diver and isn't about the boat captain at all.:mooner:

Its only fair to look at this from EVERY angle and I would certainly hope it would be a learning opportunity for everyone. Its Jonathan who decided to appoint us the jury here, so you're going to have to put up with everyone's opinion.

Its only fair to look at this from EVERY angle and I would certainly hope it would be a learning opportunity for everyone. Its Jonathan who decided to appoint us the jury here, so you're going to have to put up with everyone's opinion.

Here is how I see it after reading this entire thread. I come to Cozumel next week to do some diving. I have a choice: I can go diving with Johnathan and his buddies or I can go diving with AquaSafari. No offense Johnathan but I think I'm going out with AquaSafari.

Sometimes the only outcome is for the parties involved is to agree to disagree. Both Jonathan and AS have made good points. Is it time to put an end to this? Just my 2 cents

DandyDon, can I have a Dr. Pepper with my cheetos?

I'm thinking it might be time to have some chocolate too! Anyone have a TWIX Bar or a Kit Kat? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom