AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An incident investigation is not like a ball game to try score and win; It's more a riddle - a mystery to untangle. Personalities are involved - testosterone may be causing dammage. Anger has to abate. Guilt feelings resolved.
I felt desperate because people on the Scubaboard were saying that if Aqua Safari does not respond and entertain us right away, I'm obviously guilty by default.

From never having visited an internet forum before, I now feel a sense of community. The Forum is addictive; I'm going to have to wean myself in order to keep my eye on the ball; my clients / my staff.

I thank everybody that showed "Aqua Safari" the least patience, support, the emails to us, and fundamentally the benefit of the doubt prior to breaking fast on Monday with Tek and Morgan.. I was touched and am very grateful.
Grateful too that scubaboard informed me and invited a response.

I was horrified by Tek's damning post; I busted a gut Saturday, and climbing out of this hole is a depressing, very time consuming process.

To be accused of intentional homicide on the internet was wrong.
Posting in anger. Strike one.
While a lot of Forum posters fired from the hip, Jonathan fired in fury.
Anyone can make a mistake or overlook or not see something. Accidents do in fact happen.
Jonathan originally claimed that "a professional dive operator intentionally endangered my life and the life of all the divers in my group," and I have a problem with that.

That would bring ruin upon the Captain and the company. No captain of mine is out to kill a diver. I have a homicidal Captain? If Jonathan were to state that my captain is blind, did not see him, I would have his eyes checked; but to claim my Captain is homicidal, I simply and flatly have to deny - as I've known Ernesto for 28 years.

Jonathan, you were hot, angered, furious and exagerating; and your post is neither fair nor legal in Mexico. We don't have a first ammendment. Defamation is penal.
Strike one.

I was Horrified when Tek described the boat backing down. - that is so horrible that I keep looking for it in Tek's later descriptions of the incident and thank God it did not remain an issue.

Tek states: “Swam out and back in on the bottom. This happened right where the bottom rises up steeply to the shallow water around the entrance. I think the nav channel is a little farther out than that. He wasn't transitioning the area anyway, he was coming in to drop divers.

Tek says: “How could a Mexican National have done anything at all to make this situation safer? Dig a subway tunnel out to the reef? We were on the bottom with a 4' tall flag on the surface.”

Tek also says: “However, I still implore you to tell me how a local guide would have mitigated/minimized this occurrence? I'm just not understanding that."

Let me answer this, sweet Christi:
A good divemaster, of whatever nationality, would have heard the boat go from the reef to the shore and would not have been startled by it. A good master would have been listening to the boat all along, would have understood what was happening, keeping the buoy right above him, the line taut, in a vertical position and not pulling it along way behind him. He would have taken up the slack as he got to shallower water. A good divemaster would not have come up on the inland side of the Ocean 2, in 10 feet of water, and less likely to have done so with his buoy still on the starboard of the boat as was described at breakfast when I exclaimed I'm surprised we did not tangle or dammage the line, even.

A good divemaster, the one required by the park, would have stopped, let the boat drift away from where you needed to go, and then continued to shore without getting excited. A good master might have also decided to surface, since it was getting shallow, made sure Chivo was aware of the divers, and continued the last 20 yards or so on the surface. I do believe the boat got there first; thereby getting in your way, because you did not see Nemecio enter with his student in the shallows.
A good divemaster, regardles of nationality might well have been able to avoid all three incidents. A local divemaster would probably have gone or taken you further south away from Caleta.

I do believe a dangerous back down would have stayed in the subsequent descriptions.
A propeller backing down towards you is a nightmare image right up there with seeing jaws chomp down on you; be it a turtle, a morray or a shark. That would have stayed in the subsequent posts. I’m relieved it did not ever get mentioned again.
We are calming down now.

In Post 54 Tek states: "1- Could be, except for the anchor part. Boat dives here are live-boat drifts, he killed the engine, dropped off the divers, then backed off a bit and followed their bubbles downstream.
3- He had no divers in the water yet."

Jonathan, we DID have divers in the water. We'd dropped 7 clients with 2 divemasters, plus Gabriel the instructor with 2 clients where you had been diving on the sand, on the inland side of the main reef. By the time you surfaced, we’d also dropped Nemecio right there in the shallows with a student, and Ricardo of the big mouth was getting his 3 bunny students ready to enter the shallows. An experienced master with you would have indicated it’s ok, he’s seen us, he’ll drop his divers and we can continue to our exit spot when he gets out of our way.

I don’t think you beat the boat from the reef to the shallows, I suspect the boat pulled up to the shallows ahead of you and was in your way to get to your exit point.

After breaking bread for almost 3 hours Monday morning Tek kindly posted:
"Our conversation also brought back to my mind another thing about our dive that day: His boat was the THIRD to come near our flag....
one ran straight past it,
another drifted past it,
then his boat pulled up near it and stopped.
So it's not just AquaSafari that was too close to the flag, he's just the only one that resulted in further interaction and conflict. But, it's all good now."

Even after reading Tek's original scorchingly hot initial post, it struck me that there was no specific mention of imminent bodily risk in either of Tek's message. I'll buy them a new buoy; but trash me like this and not even describe imminent physical risk?

What is "too close" to a dive flag? Personal space is an interesting concept. At what point in a crowd do you start to feel uncomfortable. A North American's personal space I've read is twice that of a Latin American's, and if we consider the folks in India or China, we almost lose the concept. I often walk across the street to the dock in conversation with someone, and often find myself talking alone, because I'm comfortable walking in front of cars, I'm from Mexico City, but not everyone is. I've also done some bullfighting, and that's unimaginable to some.

It would be interesting to analyse stress and comfort space for divers in the water. Chivo's been picking divers up for 18 years driving a boat. One diver, if the boat slips by you to present the swim platform may say thank you, another diver might scream: are you trying to kill me? Comfort zone varies.

So according to Tek we have a boat that wasn't transitioning the area anyway, he was coming in to drop divers, and it was not just our boat that was too close to the flag. Simply the third one is the clincher.

This may be why Jonathan and Morgan posted after breakfast that the matter was resolved satisfactorily, and "it's all good now".

In 42 years Aqua Safari has not injured or killed anyone with the boats.
Oldest dive shop in Mexico: 1966.
If the wind starts howling, Mahache, the squalls that sink a half a dozen boats, I'm not worried about it on Chivo's boat; he'll have all the clients puking while they're out playing rescue. I've had to call them in. “Knock it off, think about our clients. Get into port.”

Tek acused that our only concern is our paying clients.
Well, they are our priority, but certainly not at the expense of human life. Tek did not recognize and therefore appreciate the situation of an instructor with three bunnies cannot get distracted.
Tek did not appreciate that an instructor in the water is not responsible for the boat. Tek's fury at being ingnored by a busy instructor made him approach Ricardo in the water. Ricardo asked the Captain to call the park, let their boat handle this, he tried to get rid of Tek by saying you don't even have an entrance bracelet. Hmmm, but let me say I would have probably been even more furious than Jonathan at the age of 18.
I would have been worse than Jonathan at the age of eighteen. I would have probably hit somebody, as unfair as that would have been to Ricardo.

Chivo and Ricardo had reported Friday at 1700 they'd had a spitting match and nobody's hurt.
Chivo was so upset his speech impediment was impenetrable. Ricardo made the report.

see part 2

So last Saturday morning and what do I have? Donna calls at 7:05 - Good God !! Crucified at 7:05 for my day off.

I go see Chivo working on the boat in the harbor. I find Ricardo in the classroom; he's already putting it down in writing so it can't get modified subsequently. I find out Nemesio, and Gabriel, other instructors - I had 3 instructors and 2 divemasters on the boat. Start tracking them down.

I have already briefly described Ernesto Witzil the Captain on the Ocean 2 on a post so I won't bore you except to say:
The Captain of the Ocean 2 - Ernesto - is 40 years old and has been with Aqua Safari for 28 years. You mean Ernesto started working at the age of 12?
Ernesto was orphaned, has a speech impediment, and my partner Juan Marrufo took him in initially for errands and odd jobs. That was not unusual 28 years ago, when primary / 6th grade education meant more than it does now, and secondary education was just coming to Cozumel Island, so if you did not have the money to continue school in Merida, primary school was it. Ernesto was apprenticed to Captain Modesto as a boat mate. After about 10 years as mate, he began driving an Aqua Safari boat; the Ocean One. After many years of seniority, when Tacho sold his ranch and retired rich, he got the Ocean 2; a larger boat. Ernesto has experience, and he's past drinking. Find me an operation anywhere in the world with a Captain with that much experience and 28 years in the same shop, and with no prior record of incidents.

When Jonathan surfaced off the port stern, Ricardo our instructor - (13 years with Aqua Safari, nine as an instructor) had 3 intros to scuba. Intro folks are not certified, folks taken on a scuba experience in shallow water, folks you DON'T take your eyes off, because that instant - something happens - folks trusting you to take them down by the hand and bring them back alive and whole.

Jonathan is indignant, he's 18 and he wants to be heard. Damn right! My guys are busy, Ricardo with three bunnies on the swim platform, trying to get in the water where it's still shallow, and Chivo's gotta drift away from the shore - the breeze is out of the Southeast, pushing him back out away from shore, into deeper water, then position himself to keep an eye out for 14 divers in the water.

I've been there Tek, and I call it fury.

Ricardo's been there; ask him about the glass bottom boats. I've seen him furious.

Point of Interest / perspective
Stick your hand out cybersurfin diver, and that's how far away a propeller went by me the last time I shore-dove Paradise; about 1980. I started swimming, and the boat stopped about a 10 minute swim away for me. When I reached the boat I was blazing, pulled myself up on the gunnel and said to the helmsman: "The syphilis you contracted by copulating with your prostitute progenitor is obviously now affecting your eyesight." I was hot and eloquent, but he was quick, and my mouth earned a bottle broken on my hand.

I am familiar with this type of anger, Fury, but I can say that Jonathan and Morgan were both very polite gentlemen; they certainly don't appear to have my foul mouth, and they in fact clarified that point to us. Nothing like the "****ing Mexican" Ricardo thought he heard on Friday. Nada. Not even a trace of slang.

I am much more interested in the actual exposure to physical danger than the words.
I know that many of the readers seemed to resent the words described by Tek as much and some even more, than the physical risk described and implied.
I received emails saying the “divemaster” should be taken to task, whose responsibility was (mere?) words that don't break bones, and not one email wanting the Captain crucified for driving the boat and "intentionally trying to kill the divers." I find that strange; I question the underlying values. It threw me. For me to hell with the words, lets go for the risk; physical – bodily risk. Life and death.

We sat for over two hours discussing this on Monday morning. We drew diagrams.
The Captain was at the head of the table, Ricardo on his right and Jonathan on his left facing Ricardo, the instructor of the verbal exchange. I sat across from Morgan. We attempted to define the sequence of events.

SEQUENCE OF EVENTS
Tek, Morgan, Ted and 2 other divers are out on Paradise what I call the middle cordillera, the long cordillera that most boat divers take.

My boat - Ocean 2 coming from town - the north - motored clear past busy Paradise Reef, made a U turn and came up behind - south - of another boat whose divers were entering the water at the beginning of the middle cordillera, the long stretch of reef. Jonathan's buoy was in front of the boat in front of Ocean2. Divemaster Gustavo asked the Captain to get him closer to the reef because there was no current, so the Ocean two motored north around the boat to the sand east or inland side of the reef to drop 7 divers and 2 divemasters, and an instructor/course director with 2 students into the water; to the east over sand and a safe distance from where Jonathan's buoy indicated divers actually on the reef.

Once the 12 divers were in the water, the boat headed east - away from Jonathan's buoy - to shallower water to drop Nemecio and a student, and Ricardo with 3 students into the water.

Jonathan indicates, that while swimming towards shore, he was startled by a 38 foot Delta with a loud 6 cylinder diesel engine. To us, the boat was at idle unloading divers headed for a shallow dive. Nemecio and his student had already entered the water. Our best guess is Jonathan's buoy crossed our bow, just prior to his surfacing about 20 feet from the stern, ventilating his opinion, and descending again.

Could Jonathan have beaten our boat to the shore? We saw you out there, on the mid cordillera and as Gabriel went in with his student, he noticed your bouy heading for shore and dipping under water. The divers beat the boat to shore? The boat ran over the divers? Or the divers caught up with the boat dropping divers off. I can only ask, I cannot answer.

Ricardo the instructor entered the water with 3 bunny intros, and Jonathan came back to the surface wanting to ventilate some more. According to Ricardo, it is important to appreciate that an instructor in the water with three students cannot be distracted from his 3 students and the nearby boat. All are trying to keep his group parallel to the other divers in deeper water as well. Rather than argue and get into a distracting situation, he told our clients to submerge; but Jonathan is "not done" with him yet.

An instructor with students in the water has no part of Jonathan King's problem with the boat, so Ricardo suggested the Captain call the park authority who has a boat that sometimes works. It’s a long shot; though Jonathan is not contibuting to the park by wearing an entrance bracelet and should probably quit arguing and get moving.

Ocean 2 motored away from the shore back to the sand east of the middle cordillera where Jonathan had been diving, because remember, the Captain needs to keep an eye on his divers on the middle cordillera. He needs to scan Gabriel's buoy, Nemecio's buoy, Ricardo's buoy, and the divemaster's safety sausages when they initiate their ascent.

There is no time to argue; the Captain cannot get distracted either. There was no physical injury to keep him where Jonathan King is, he's got to get in position to retrieve divers and keep an eye out if any divers make an early ascent with a problem. Nobody hurt here, I’m gonna go watch my people. I can’t fault Chivo for that.

Tek then takes a beautiful picture of Ocean 2 with Chivo on the flybridge scanning and Benito the mate looking to the stern, making sure there’s no one behind us if we need to back down. No sitting around. Looking good. Look at that picture. Is my crew alert? Is anyone playing with their cell phone? Anyone looking sleepy or bored or distracted.

photo

Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - Cozumel

Well,
If all else fails, perhaps I should try to bribe Tek and the guys we allegedly ran over.

Call me guys, I'll be nice and make it cheap for you to go out on the boat to Paradise at 2:30 and keep you from swimming around close to the entrance of Caleta, or getting swept off in the current, going through the busy Puerta Maya cruise ship pier construction area, which would be very dangerous, or going under the standing international pier and getting arrested as possible terrorists, or possibly making it that far and trying to get out at La Ceiba, for a taxi back to your vehicle at Caleta. Did your parents know where you were last Friday?

Jonathan, I saw your post on scubatoys, and if you get caught in a current, you're gonna be at the construction site or past it and under the international pier quicker than you can immagine until it happens to you. I often entered Paradise at the Caleta and got out at La Ceiba, and barely had to swim. The currents are often such that there is no way, absolutely none at all -that anyone can swim against it back to your entry point. Key words here are often and no way.

You have'nt gotten buzzed by glass bottom boats?
We've had several hauled into the harbormaster's office and read the riot act and I remember clearly that because Ricardo the instructor whom Jonathan had the spitting match with, gave me a full report with all the info to get it in writing and get them hauled in.
Watch out for the glass bottom boats.
Watch for the waverunners.

The keels on silent windsurfing boards can kill.

Take a snorkel trip and see the shallow spots they take you to could well be the quiet shore dives you seek.
Dzul Ha, Playa Corona.

The boats the municipality sank in front of Las casitas.
The huge concrete monolyths they sank in front of Las casitas - but not on weekends,
because there's lots of kids; they see you, follow you, and can easily get out further than they ca swim back from, though there are lifeguards there now.

If not - Go as far north on Paradise as you can; away from the entrance to the Caleta.

Get a better buoy; a lot of them go underwater in a current or when you're pulling them on a long line.

Morgan, shorten the line when you're swimming, keep it above you, it's tiring but it may stay upright.

Put a weight on the first foot of the line right under the buoy to help keep it upright.
Most buoys are a waste of time.

Take pictures of the entrance of the new dolphinarium, document the cyanobacteral algae growth.

Document cyanobacterial growth at Chankanab.

If you find some good spots, and you get better at it, I could refer shore divers to you,
but getting in and out without crunching fans and corals is a must; to shore dive.

I actually got an email from a woman who wants to "shore dive by the marina" -
straight out of your post. She wanted to know where to buy the national park entry. Valgame dios. Oh My God. Good grief. Will you look at that!! You believe it?

Like Wikel posted, "Seems like he almost got chewed up." To Wikel I say: Read the subsequent posts by Jonathan. Had THAT happened, "Seems like he almost got chewed up" it would have survived in Tek’s second post. Wikel also likes to give nightmares, like the Dandy Rogue with the forked nose, with this vision of "Seems like he almost got chewed up" but that’s pumping venom. And it did not happen.

How close to a prop are you comfortable? Like one man said, this thread should be required sociology reading. Do you know? We should poll. What’s your personal underwater space? 6' from a spinning prop? 30' ? Depends on the speed - Right?

My boat was at idle, and that's what kills me. They had just dropped an instructor with a client in the water and had 3 bunnies on the platform with Ricardo the instructor to go in next….. when Jonathan surfaces. How close is too close? For a dive boat in a diving area?

Jonathan? Morgan? Ted? Any of the other 5 divers. Let’s refine the sequence of events further. Feel free to plug in here.

It’s too bad there was no interest in the Buoy Expo I offered for Thursday morning.
It could have been interesting. See what’s available and see how and why my instructors modify and rig theirs. No show. No interest. I’m surprised.

ALRIGHT:
I have not yet apologized; though lots of Forum folks say and somehow think I have.

I apologize that my boat scared you Tek, but let’s continue refining the sequence of events. Invite your 4 friends to participate.

Have we resolved this matter? Folks, we’ve just barely started to.

welcome to the www she said. Let’s use it.

Sinceramente,
Aqua Safari
Bill Horn

Aqua,

Again, sorry for jumping off the cliff before reading the entire post and for not giving ample opportunity for you to investigate before bringing out the torches and pitch forks.

Like I mentioned in my email, it seems that things may not have been 100% open and honest in the initial posting. I can see the "fury" thing and if your crew didn't understand what the problem was they may react as "who the hell is this jerkoff".

Unfortunately people tend to shoot first and ask questions later (which I was guilty of). Reputation is critical in any business and it’s good you came out to defend and communicate your investigation. Your last two posts explain a number of things and I wanted to say "Thanks" for taking the time to publish what you have found.

Also in the age of the internet incidents like this can sink a business whether they are valid or not. People expect everything NOW and investigations like this are not instantaneous. Things tend to spiral out of control and into the toilet rather quickly.

Kudos to those on this board that held the line, it speaks greatly about this board.

Thank you... Your report of the events is very similar to what was going through my mind's eye.

I remember when Ernesto's was that round bar setup in front of the hotel... Just tilt your head back on the bar and Tequila was poured straight into your mouth. That was before my son was born... and before I was married...

I have certain memories from Cozumel and hold those memories very dear to my heart. My son's first dive experience was at Chankanaab. He was hooked from the beginning. Imagine your first dive experience is one of the best shore dive locations in the world and includes a trip through the carvern...

My last trip there was aboard a cruise ship. We were blown out of a destination due to a hurricane and landed at Cozumel... The ship did not have a set dive, but from past experience, I knew not to set a dive through them for Cozumel anyway. We walked off the ship with gear in hand and found a Palencar Gardens dive within 1/2 hour. My son comments on the wall dive to this day (4 years and a number of dives later).

I have nothing but respect for the dive industry in Cozumel. I have always been treated as if I were the owner of the operation, and safety has always been a #1 priority...

Now, I just want to say thank you to one of those providers... So, Thank you!

Bill, my respect and admiration for you continues to grow exponentially :)

Wikel, that was nicely said and it seems you and I agree more than we even thought.

My point here from the beginning was to defend (for what it was worth) an operation (including owner/management/crew and staff) that I know through personal experience and by observation to be nothing short of exceptional. I felt they had been raked over the coals unjustly and without having an appropriate opportunity to respond. Thanks to everyone who recognized that fact. I tried to be diplomatic and respectful, even when questioning the events, accusations, etc. - if I failed in that, I apologize.

Netdoc, thank you for giving Bill the opportunity to participate and share his findings. You too have my utmost respect and admiration :)

Not only can I add my thanks I can personally confirm that you can quite unexpectedly get swept away by the current in that area because it happened to me and 2 other divers plus the DM last Sept. I saw the boat and signalled that I was going up hoping the other diver near me would do the same & pass the signal on but I ended up surfacing by myself. I knew exactly where I was and the other divers didn't so did not understand the risks, and although I didn't ask I assume the DM stayed with them to protect their safety. Luckily it was a Sunday and no work was going on because the other 3 were swept through the salvage area while I told the boat captain what I could re where they were, and as soon as I was aboard we went & found them north of the salvage zone.
Now it might seem a bit odd that I didn't get too concerned with where the other divers had gone but they were very experienced and except for me to also stay with them there wasn't anything else I could do except surface to the awaiting boat which had been run up onto some of the markers floating around the salvage area. This was a no safety stop ascent, which was a first time thing, but we weren't deep either, but we sure were heading north fast. In all my trips to Coz over the years the currents had never been as strong nor as unpredictable as that trip.

I'd also like to thank Net Doc, not many forums would have changed the title to something that could reduce traffic.

Christi,

Like I mentioned to Bill via email I've owned a message board previously and seen a number of incidents where a new vendor / business got slaughtered due to a post similar to this one. The business didn't have enough "critical mass" of clients on the board to "hold the line" until they could address the concern. Things tend to spiral out of control and usually result in personal attacks between board members, which poisons the board environment. Lines are drawn and the battle begins for the reputation of the business.

Fortunately for Bill that was not the case on this board, but may be the case on other scuba related boards that this was posted on (do other scuba board actually exist? lol). Message boards are usually a guilty until proven innocent environment, especially when it comes to vendors that serve those clients.

Does this mean I'm no longer on your ignore list?
:love:

Does this mean I'm no longer on your ignore list? [/FONT][/SIZE]
:love:

Hmmmm...I'll think about it. Hah! Yeh, we're all good...I'm a very reasonable gal and don't hold grudges :) I've had disagreements with people I highly respect here and otherwise get along with great...I respect that everyone has an opinion, a bad day, makes mistakes, etc. As long as you don't turn into an internet stalker or cyberbully...you're good in my book :D

I'd also like to thank Net Doc, not many forums would have changed the title to something that could reduce traffic.
You don't become the biggest media publication for diving by not being responsible. This is a message board and we thrive on differences of opinion. E-Mailing Aqua Safari was the only right thing to do. Changing the name to better reflect the discussion at the OP's request was also the right thing to do.

No, we don't get them all... but we try.

Back
Top Bottom