Aquarena Springs question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I understand to dive here one must go thru some sort of course.
True? Can someone elaborate on this?
Thanks a ton,
Spencer

It's an extremely informative course detailing the history, importance, structure, and fragility of the Edwards aquifer ecosystems. I found it fascinating, and the diving is nearly unique as Texas diving goes.

One thing to remember, however, is that there is no "recreational" diving at the Aquarena Springs (San Marcos Springs, actually). Once you are certified by the science diver course, you are allowed to volunteer there. The "projects" are usually simple and easy--cleanup and "gardening" of invasive species, cleaning out the springs and such. But divers are pretty closely monitored and the staff has to know you're coming well ahead of time and must approve all activities. They aren't being horsey...Aquarena Center is governed by Federal and state agencies as well as local policy.
Have fun!

Spencermm....like your avatar....Sling Blade one of my all time favorite movies....:)
Some of the best writing ever. I think it is Billy Bob's best work.

OK, so is this a PADI or some other certification ? Another card to carry around?

It used to be an SSI specialty through the local LDS... don't know if it still is.

But that's ancillary. The true purpose of the course is to satisfy various government agencies (with overlapping jurisdiction over Spring Lake) that you'll conform to all the pertinent regulations for diving in Spring Lake. It's quite complicated, befitting the VERY special nature of of the site.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised the government allows recreational divers in there at all. So are all of my scientific colleagues who know about it. So don't dither about... take the class and get into this lovely spot while you still can!:water:

OK, so is this a PADI or some other certification ? Another card to carry around?

I know SSI offers it. Try Tom's Dive and Swim in Austin <http://www.tomsscuba.com>. They offer the class pretty regularly. You don't have to carry a card though...just get your name on the scientific diver list at Aquarena Springs. They'll tell you all about the process during the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom